1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Undervaluing of Trevor Ariza - Do you trade him for a LMA/Love type player if possible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jun 25, 2015.

?

How do you value Ariza?

1. I would trade Ariza for Love

27.8%
  2. I would NOT trade Ariza for Love

31.8%
  3. I would trade Ariza for LMA

73.7%
  4. I would NOT trade Ariza for LMA

10.6%
  5. I would trade Ariza for a max level player, but not for Love or LMA

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I wouldn't do it. We know what our weakness is. We need a Playmaking PG. A healthy D-Mo and Smoove can hold down the 4 position. We have 2 stars already. Ariza is a defensive stallion and can guard multiple positions and knock down the 3. A player like him is not easily replaceable. Two players of his style just won the last two finals MVPs; he is important.

Unless we are trading him for Durant, I'm not doing it.

2. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If a legit start is truly available AND we have a replacement ready at the 3. KJ & Dekker are not the replacement at the 3, unfortunately. If you're able to add LMA + Wilson Chandler, then by all means let's do it. I just don't see how that's feasible.

Just do some upgrading at the guard position - it shouldn't be that hard! TJ + Pablo for Darren Collison, please.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Calling Cyber X.

4. aleezy2011

aleezy2011 Member

i'm on the side of, if you can get a star player you do it, and figure out the rest after that

5. ggeorge115

ggeorge115 Member

if we can land aldridge, can you imagine having him and dmo on the floor at the same time? inside outside game would be on point!

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Poll results are interesting. Only run away obvious consensus is you trade Ariza for LMA... results for Love are mixed.

Which is a bit weird to me.

It must be solely a defensive thing?

Love is 3 years younger and despite the "struggles" this year, which were clearly as much fit based as anything, he still is a more efficient scorer, a better 3 point shooter and at higher volume, a better rebounder (per 100 possessions), and a better passer.

LMA was the more prolific scorer, but we've seen how Love can be a prolific scorer at high efficiency in the past.

So it comes down to defense I think. And LMA I think is clearly a better defender than Love. And he brings a mid range component that at this point you might say is needed.

But all that said, I'm not sold on either of them being worth having to move all the assets necessary, including Ariza, to make it work. It's still a guard's game... where do they get that other backcourt scorer?

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I understand the importance of Ariza to our team, and to our championship aspirations.

His defensive effectiveness and versatility, his rebounding, his ability to stretch the floor, run the break and finish. He's a glue guy, a vet, has champion experience, doesn't wilt under the pressure of the big moments, good decision maker and high basketball IQ.

With all of that said, I would still trade him every day of the week for Aldridge or Love without hesitation. Because of a couple simple things, Ariza even at his best, is still just a role player, a 30 year old role player going into his 12th nba season. His effectiveness and productiveness a ceiling.

You don't pass on superstars / all stars because of role players, not in our situation. We aren't on the championship level yet, we still need more.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ generally true... but

- Rockets are "close" to championship level. They could go backwards next year, too. But they also could have been healthy in the playoffs and be champions right now. They're that close... and that far away in a deep West simultaneously

- You need stars over role players, but you need A LOT of really good role players, too. And in a capped league, that has to be taken into consideration. Not that I'd complain about the Rockets going 2-2 in the NBA Finals over the next 4 years, but that lack of depth is why the Heat lost 2 championships instead of winning the not 5, not 6, not 7...

- Some role players might not seem like REALLY GOOD role players, but they are both good, and consistent winners. Robert Horry obviously. Ariza has been to the playoffs 6 times, has advanced past the first round 4 times, has a ring, and a WCF... he's a winner. it's not ALL luck. He has something to do with that.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I do not TRADE Ariza at all unless it is for a player that can play the solid defence he does night in and night out! Someone has to make up for Harden's lack of D. Ariza allows Harden to guard the weakest person on the defensive end in order to free Harden to focus more on the offensive end. There are a few players that I would trade Ariza for and a couple are Jimmy Butler and Klay Thompson. So unless they are true defesive stoppers we need a guy like Ariza to fill a glaring hole that even our exgolden boy Chandler Parsons could not fill. It is definitely tempting to get a pf of those Calibers next to Dwight but we have to learn from the Barkley trade that we can not trade certain core pieces to fill one hole and create another glaring one. Getting a player like Ariza is harder than alot of people think. There is a reason why Mchale was forced to play him the extensive minutes he played. For LMA or Love the only people I'd be willing to part with without a doubt are Tjones, Dmo, Capella, possibly brewer and Beverly if of course we can find suitable replacements. This team truly needs to figure out to add without truly subtracting. Let's see if Les Alexander is truly willing to spend.

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Is it possible to package Dmo and thrones for LMA without having to give up Trevor?

All things considered I think the rockets need to go all in... Dmo is nice, but with a cheap j.smoove off the bench, LMA would shoot this team to the finals for sure... Especially of we keep ariza to glue that team together...

Pg:?p. Bev/ lullz/ Johnson
    Sg: Harden/terry
    Sf: Ariza/ brewer/ decker
    Pf: L. Aldridge/ smoove/ Harrell
    C: Dwight/ Capella/ woods. :eek: imagine that!!

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are crazy not trade a role player for a star.

LMA is a star. I used to regard Love as a star. Not now. I think he is just a good role player, kind of like Ariza.

Love would not be much of an upgrade over our current PFs. LMA would be a big upgrade.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

We all love Ariza and even Ariza would understand if we traded him for LMA. LaMarcus freaking Aldridge...top 10 player in the league. The guy that dropped somewhere around 90 points on us in 2 games in the playoffs LaMarcus Aldridge.

13. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Not sure if it's possible to sign Llull and keep Ariza if you tar for a LaMarcus Aldridge. Dude is set UP to make the most money in the NBA

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I agree. Someone would need to step up defensively on the teams best player

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

This. You always go for the best player available if possible.

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I hate to lose Ariza but i would trade two Trevors for one LaMarcus.

Good luck trying to stop a Harden-Aldridge pick & pop/roll with Dwight lurking at the rim with a shooter in both corners.

17. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I don't think it's just a matter of comparing them head to head. Even if you like them both equally, there's a lot to be said for keeping Aldridge from going to one of the other Texas teams/division rivals. Love, it seems, is more likely to sign somewhere else (Cleveland, L.A.). But if Rockets can't get Aldridge here, he may very well end up in S.A. or Dallas, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

18. RyanB

RyanB Member

this!

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Ariza to me is a better value than either Aldridge or Love at 20m or whatever, therefore I wouldn't trade him for those guys. There should be smarter ways to get your team from WCF to title without trading one of your most important players. For example, simply offering Lowry a deal last off-season could have done it.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ariza's value to Rockets is more than his lockdown D and fit. Ariza is one of the true leaders on the team who holds his teammates accountable and is able to rally their spirits (like Terry) during clutch situations. Moreso, Ariza is the guy that infuses the grit in the new D minded culture of the team.