1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Spanish Radio] Sergio Llull close to deciding to join the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Good post bballholic. I'm not comfortable with paying llull that much. It's a huge risk for a guy that's going to be playing second fiddle at best. You may not agree that Lawson or knight etc would be a perfect fit but it sure as hell would make a lot more sense in terms of keeping the overall core together and keeping the window open for the big fish next offseason. I think we are making a mistake.

2. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I'm pretty sure he starts losing a certain percentage once he reaches a certain threshold. I could be wrong however

3. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Bye Bye Bev.

4. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I like the positivity but that's a major assumption. We really have no idea what llulls game is like outside of a few videos on YouTube. Can he make the extra pass? Can he run the pick and roll? Is he a good passer into the post? Can he break down opponents off the dribble? If he's not an average NBA playmaker then that unit above is only going to have reliable offense from dmo in the post. It's a weak lineup

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't see a major impediment to trading Dorsey, Prigioni, and TJones for zero in return without including other assets. TJones and his low salary/RFA rights are worth something, and Dorsey/Prig are guaranteed a combined $1.4 million in salary. You've got $800k left this season to pay for someone to take Pablo and/or Dorsey, and a fresh $3 million in just a couple of weeks.

I agree that Ariza needs to be the 4th or 5th best player for us to have a real shot, but I think he's made himself almost irreplaceable. He and Harden seem to have great chemistry together, and Ariza might be the most trusted player on the team.

I don't think Ariza is going anywhere unless either of these 2 things happen:

1) We trade/sign LMA or Love AND bring in another quality wing defender.

2) We trade/sign Durant.

I don't see Ariza as an asset in an "in between" trade. Too much risk.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

If the Rockets really are offering 3 years $24 million, then the answer to all of the above better be yes.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I wonder if this $24M "offer from the Rockets" is a product of Llull's agent to try to get his client more money? It sure doesn't look like a Morey's move, does it?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seems like a legit offer. The MLE. It might be a bit inflated by maybe 1.5 mil just to sign rookies.

9. hopn

hopn Member

10. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Wonderful conspiracy theory. I am going to say, yes, that is part of why. Also, he was also an experienced winner internationally (read: playoff experience) and a lifetime ~39-40% 3PT shooter with deceptively quick hands, so certainly a pick up that made sense in the absence of the additional nugget, but I am sure that his ties to Llull didn't hurt his case.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="pt" dir="ltr">Tarde de relax! <a href="http://t.co/FBCmWHdDJ5">pic.twitter.com/FBCmWHdDJ5</a></p>&mdash; Sergio Llull (@23Llull) <a href="https://twitter.com/23Llull/status/613012095945285632">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think you're thinking of the amnesty clause, which does not apply here. Pretty sure Detroit owes him what they owe.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know this is mostly the reporter's speculation, but this is a bit misleading.

The cap rising might be a reason for Llull to wait if he were a free agent and he could create a true bidding war on the open market among teams flush with cash. But since his rights are controlled by the Rockets, it shouldn't be much of a factor. IF the Rockets have major cap room next summer, Llull would be a secondary priority... they would be be going after the Kevin Durant-tier first. And that's no shot at Llull -- it's just the reality when you aren't a proven NBA player, and I'm sure he and his agent know that. And in that "Durant" scenario, the Rockets wouldn't even have the MLE available, since they'd be a below-cap team. I suppose IF the Rockets acquire an Aldridge/Love this summer and stay operating above the cap, they'd retain the MLE for next summer, which would be proportionally higher... but that's a lot of variables. And it's not as if the payout would be THAT much higher, anyway.

Bottom line: the $6 million/year offer is pretty good for a player with no NBA experience, and it's unlikely to get any better by waiting, IMO.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=262991

16. justtxyank

Doggy style.

17. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

ITS not so much the money, even though I think he will be overpaid. It's the cost it will take to get him over here. Losing our role players who reignited clutch city for a player who is unproven doesn't sit right with me, it's going to weaken our team imo.

18. justtxyank

What does it mean that they "reignited clutch city?"

We lost in the conference finals. We didn't win a title.

We had a good run, but we should try to get better.

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

It was just a turn on words, don't read into it too seriously. That's my exact point: I don't think this move will make us better, if anything it will weaken the roster. Not sure how much simpler I can make it, you are welcome to disagree as are others.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member