1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NBA Finals: Golden State vs. Cleveland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 27, 2015.

?

Golden State vs. Cleveland

Poll closed Jun 4, 2015.
  1. Warriors in 4

4.8%
  2. Warriors in 5

14.6%
  3. Warriors in 6

21.1%
  4. Warriors in 7

6.8%
  5. Cavs in 7

10.9%
  6. Cavs in 6

33.0%
  7. Cavs in 5

3.7%
  8. Cavs in 4

5.1%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Which Cavs are upset about the vets not playing? LeBron? Other players? Front office?

2. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]...

The Cavs are indeed playing with a lot of grit in these Finals -- that the series is tied 2-2 despite their decimating injuries is a statement. But there is also a strong feeling within the team, multiple sources said, that coach David Blatt could rely more on the veterans he's been leaving unused on the bench.

Blatt played only seven players in Game 4 before clearing the bench in the fourth quarter when the game turned into a blowout. He played eight in the first three games with Mike Miller getting a few minutes in Games 2 and 3. With several players, James and Dellavedova especially, looking worn down from the demands in the playoffs, players have begun to privately grumble that Blatt needs to use his whole roster.

With Warriors coach Steve Kerr going to a perimeter-heavy offense with Andre Iguodala in for Andrew Bogut, the feel is Blatt could take another look at Miller and perhaps give veteran Shawn Marion, who has yet to play in the series, a look. With the Warriors' depth on the wing, the Cavs ended up being stretched exceedingly thin.

Several sources said Marion, who already has announced he'll retire following the season, is especially itching to get a chance. He's recently been bothered by a calf injury and also dealt with a hip injury in the regular season but is healthy and able to go.

One of the reasons the Cavs turned things around at midseason was because Blatt shortened his rotation. After sometimes playing 10 players in the first quarter of games and playing 11 in his rotation early in the season, Blatt sliced his rotation to eight in January as the Cavs took off to a superb second half of the season.

Additionally, playing a so-called "big" lineup with both Timofey Mozgov and Tristan Thompson has been effective since Kevin Love's injury. Considering the success, it is easy to understand why Blatt has been hesitant to go away from what has worked.

Miller has struggled shooting all season, hitting just 33 percent of his shots in the regular season. Marion made 24 starts but lost his spot in the rotation after midseason trades. Both have been non-factors in the playoffs, combining to score just eight points total.

When asked about the need to expand the rotation, LeBron James publicly yielded to Blatt after Game 4 but hinted it could help him and others get some more rest.

"That's the coach's decision if he decides he wants to go deeper in the bench," James said. "We haven't played many guys throughout this playoff run. I think it would help some of the guys that are playing some high minutes, for sure. Just give guys a couple minutes here, a couple minutes there. But I think the coaching staff will try to do what's best to help us be physically and mentally prepared for Sunday."

The idea that Marion and Miller, two players in their mid-30s who haven't contributed much all season, can be save-the-day stars is far-fetched. The idea, however, that a few minutes of them on the floor could help James or perhaps Dellavedova and Shumpert's minutes become more effective because they can be slightly more rested is something Blatt could look at.

"We don't have many options as far as lineups we can go to, but we can make adjustments," James said. "That's what you do throughout a series."

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...feel-team-benefit-giving-more-players-minutes[/rQUOTEr]

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

worried about? thats nothing to worry about at all. they shut the Cleveland fans up.

5. Major

Major Member

Why would you think the Finals MVP would be decided already at 2-2? You don't think what happens in the final 2 or 3 games matters at all? :confused:

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think it is decided...just the way the series has gone for 4 games, if GS wins, and the series continues to play out as we have seen for the last 4 games, I feel Iggy should get the MVP vote considering his impact on both ends of the court. That clear up the confusion?

7. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Member

As of right now, if the Warriors do win the series, I don't know who is most deserving of the Finals MVP. Klay, Andre, or Steph. They all had their moments that impacted the team, not one greater than the other IMO. We'll just have to wait and see how the rest of the series unfolds to decide.

And, of course, LBJ, clearly most deserving if the Cavs win.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It will go to Steph if Warriors win. It will go to LeBron if the Cavs win.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I posted something that Iggy should start after the game 1 with Lebron 44 points. If GS do lose the finals, it is likely due to no quick adjustment by the coach.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Only if Steph finally starts playing like an MVP. Even Kerr has publicly stated that Iggy has been the most consistent Warrior. After last year, it isn't too far-fetched to imagine that Iggy would win

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have an idea, let's let Steph Curry guard LeBron much like Iggy has been doing. Let's see if that would be better for GS.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

GS hasn't beeen that slow to adjust. They didn't start Iggy but did change minutes allocation during Games 1 to 3-- which helped mount some 4th quarter comeback runs each game.

Coaches typically give their regular successful lineups a big enough sample size to see whether they can right the ship before making big changes. Waiting a couple games isn't all that unusual. The Spurs, IIRC, waited until Game 3 to start Boris Diaw over Splitter in their series last season vs Miami and that was not too late.

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

They all do that, but it's allowed as long as you don't prevent the ball handler from moving.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This series really has nothing to do with how the Cavs play, because they are not capable of scoring 100 point. It's all about the Warriors. If they play their normal game score 100+, there will not be any trouble for them.

The Warriors tends to play sloppy in the early stage of the games, or series, that's evident from the games they have played so far. I guess they just be over-confident, moved away from what brought them success, that's the deliberated ball & body movement with a fast pace. Luckily, they are just too talented, can always recover.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand the Curry hate. But this is getting overboard. Why would Curry be responsible to guard LeBron. It's a size mismatch. It's like saying, let Dwight guard Curry and see if that would be better for the Rockets.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Miller, Marion, and Jones could help the Cavs in limited minutes. Why not give them a shot at least. A minute saved here and there would surely help the Cavs starters at least. Lebron cannot do it himself anymore. He is dead tired.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

cavs had to win game 4 to get extend this to game 7. too many injuries for them, warriors win the next two games.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

I still give if it to LeBron for MacGyvering the finals.

19. i3artow i3aller

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I really hope someone steps up, offensively, for Cleveland.

I'm predicting the Warriors come out tonight and go crazy to start the game.