1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Orioles @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The 22-1 stat is somewhat of a coincedental anomaly... but at the same time, he hasn't LOST a game for this team.

Also, 1 blown save is 1 blown save.

Lastly, I would love it if all his converted save opportunities were only with a 1 run lead... but that has to do more with the situation/team than anything else. He's done fine with the 1 run lead save chances (albeit much less of them than the 3 run ones). Maybe he thrives on having the pressure of a close game... vs. the bigger leads where his location isn't as precise. Would rather have a closer who's "better" in the closer games than the ones who can only convert the 3 run cushions.

I would like them to count 1 run saves (or saves with the tying run on base) as almost an entirely different stat than just a 3 run lead with nobody on base.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Want to join me in the creation of a new stat? It's the Save+! Pitcher enters with:

Tying run on base or at the plate conversion=+1.0 Save+; blowing it= -0.1
    Tying run on deck conversion=0.3; blowing it= -0.3
    Tying run in the hole conversion=0.1 Save+; blowing it= -0.7
    Blowing any other= -1.0 Save+

(I'm guessing the stat guys already have something internal that measures this...or they continue to maintain that late-game pitching is no different)

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... I'm surprised a save+ stat isn't as prevalent as the ERA+ stat is now.

I guess it couldn't be as widely applied as the above parameters could only be applied to "established" closers that are primarily used only in the 9th inning of traditional save situations... and for good teams that provide enough save opportunities to eliminate small sample size effects.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

the o's rookie pitcher looks solid. and mchugh has been getting hit lately. hopefully we can win this one.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His xFIP is 2.83. His SIERA is 2.48.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How much of his poor May era has to do with the personal situation he was dealing with? There was clearly something wrong with him when he came back. He appeared to be exhausted. They gave him a few extra days off and he's been back to being very good ever since.

7. thesimp

thesimp Member

Good call
    2015 is "The Year of the Bullpens"

Root Sports showed a stat before game 3 vs CHI that had Astros #1.
    What happened later that day dropped them.

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Way to early to be scoreboard watching, but man the Angels have looked good lately. Just swept the Tigers and have own 5 in a row.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ok, the specific word "awesome" hasn't been used...but there is a lot of defense for him if someone say's he hasn't pitched well. And it spills into the area of giving reasons why he's been "awesome" even if that specific word isnt used. It's been going on for over a month now.

Relatively speaking, from what I would expect out of a closer, he didn't pitch well in May. Sure, personal matters may have played a role, but we're still evaluating what is taking place on the field. I just know that with a one run lead, I'm a little nervous with him because Ive watched almost every appearance he has made. He has his moments where he seems unhittable and then other moments where I cringe because he's giving up multiple walks and hits (1.50 WHIP in May).

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On paper, they could still be the best team in the AL... and that's after they had to pay to make a quality hitter go play for another division rival.

Wouldn't mind a two team race for this division... with the losing team still getting one of the wild cards.

The Astros are still playing with house money regardless of how this year turns out... and we still haven't seen the impact #1 will have on this team (which I suspect will be significant).

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That will happen to almost any relief pitcher (Kimbrel even has a 4.74ERA).

I don't think anybody expected Gregerson to be much more than what Qualls, Veras, or Valverde were. We tried to get Andrew Miller or David Robertson to be that guy who is going to be amazing, but thankfully we didn't get Robertson and Miller took less to go to the NYY.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I honestly thought Gregerson would be top notch. Over the last 3 years, he's had an ERA of 2.40...and he was coming off a 2.12 ERA last season. I certainly didnt expect that number to jump up almost 1.5 runs per 9 innings.

13. thesimp

thesimp Member

Vegas currently has the ASTROS ranked (by odds) 7th - to win the World Series

behind (in no order)
    Royals
    Cardinals
    Cubs
    Tigers
    Dodgers
    Nationals

Puts us 3rd in the AL
    Yes, we're ahead of he Angels

Kuechel is currently ranked #2, behind King Felix, to win the Cy Young

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He has been better in his 1 run appearances vs. his 3-run appearances.

Combine the human nature element with his personal issues, there's definitely some valid reasons as to why his WHIP escalated.

He's not a lights out closer.. hell, this is his first year closing on a full time basis. However, he hasn't had the multiple "meltdowns" that makes you concern that his stuff, or his mental fortitude, just isn't cut-out for the 9th inning.

15. LondonAstro

LondonAstro Member

That play by Gonzalez........ wow! I'm just glad we're still finding ways to turn deficits in games around and get these wins as they really do pile up.

It is early to be scoreboard watching but I don't think anyone can blame us with it being so long since we were in this position!

We were really unfortunate not to win that series in Baltimore so I'm hoping we do a number on these guys the next few nights.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Cubs? LOL

17. thesimp

thesimp Member

Cubs might always be overrated because people will bet on them regardless... similar to the Irish in college football and the Cowboys.

Their young stud, Bryant, plays a role too.

18. SuraGotMadHops

The 2015 Back to the Future II thing put a lot of playful action on the Cubs this year, so I think Vegas adjusted the odds to prevent an unfathomable payout if the Cubs won.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gregerson was really bad during that stretch he was dealing with the personal issue. There is no guarantee that was the cause of the struggles, but it seems like a weird coincidence.

Over his last 5 outings he has a 1.80 ERA, a .60 WHIP with 10 K's in 5 innings, that's dominant. We'll see how this plays out, but overall I've seen one bad week, surrounded by 7 weeks of excellence.

20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Plus the manager, if he did it in Tampa, he can do it in Chicago, plus, they have a very good GM