1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Camera for professional videos?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Felixthecat, May 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Also have heard good things about video on the 70d.

It's 29:59 per clip just to clarify, essentially meaning the recording will stop and you just have to hit record again. For music videos not an issue, but note that the Panasonic GH line does not have the record stopping like others.

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

With your budget I would get the Canon t5i at $650. With this camera you can produce videos that are just as good as the other high end Canon DSLRs. Use the extra cash you saved, and buy your self a nice zoom lens that will probably cost you an extra $1000.

Keep in mind that lenses hold their resale value extremely well. Cameras however... you're going to see new/better cameras released every 3-5 months. This leads to price drops, and the camera you buy today may be dirt cheap within a year. So invest your money in lenses, and upgrade your DSLR as you go.

Also, professional videos are made by professionals... not the cameras. These days, you can honestly shoot music videos with an iPhone if you know what you're doing. So don't worry about the equipment you have. Focus on sharpening your skills in Cinematography, Directing, and Editing first.

#22 JuLiO-R-, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would get something that allows for manual frame selection on the camera so that you can make it 24p if you ever plan to go for a film look, or transfer to film.

Also include in your budget money for filters. A great shallow depth of field filter can do wonders to make your film look more high budget. A less expensive camera with the right lighting, depth of field, etc. can look sensational.

Starting out there is a lot to look at. Don't go too expensive right off the bat, because there will be a ton of other expenses that come up.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Good point about the cameras losing value and the lenses maintaining values. Some of the best lenses you can buy are 20+ years old. Cameras, not so much.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

30 minutes ain't bad. . . . .

Shooting Music Videos I cannot image needing more than that

Rocket River

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Where is the best place to do this?
    I been looking into HCC

Rocket River

7. Svpernaut

And no "movies" have 30 minute + long takes. Most scenes are a few minutes at most.

I only see the DSLR limitation being a hamper to people recording events.

8. Svpernaut

The web and self-training. No schooling you will get locally will be as good as you can find online. Lynda.com and Udemy.com both have some great courses.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

10. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Thanks guys for all the information. Any other information pertaining to video shooting and editing would be awesome. I'm slowly repping everyone that has given info. Thanks again!

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What do you use for Editing?

Rocket River

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I edit video with Pinnacle Studio 18. Pretty easy to use.

13. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Well, I bought the Adobe Master collection and plan to use Premiere Pro, but I also plan on getting Vegas Pro. I'm totally amateur, but I'm a fast learner and plan on doing this hobby/business eventually.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cleverly disguised, "My girlfriend agreed to do POV internet p*rn, but our first vids got voted down for poor quality" thread

1 person likes this.
  15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

We use premiere and it's the worst but there aren't a lot of good alternatives. Don't bother buying Vegas. Final Cut X seems to be a good solution for people who haven't already learned on a different editing software. It's not for me but the way it handles multiple types of footage and the level of organization you can have with shots and files is impressive. It's 1000 times a better program than Premiere but it conceptualizes video editing in a much different way and it's not a way that I really want to adapt to.

It would be a huge mistake to spend more than 1K on a camera that doesn't shoot 4K. 4K video is here. Netflix is 4K and can start offering all of their content in 4K once they get their deals negotiated with movie and tv studios. A ton of stuff on youtube is 4K already. 4K TVs are getting cheaper. You can buy one from vizio for 1,000. Once ATT rolls out uverse across the country then 4k will be everywhere and all people talk about. We've been a little spoiled in Austin but that'll end soon.

It's also very very ridiculous to dismiss 4K because of computer demands. You don't need to edit raw footage. You can just set your footage to convert overnight and edit "offline" and then do your full res master export when you are done with the edit. We were editing in a 4K workflow 6 years ago with computers a fraction as fast as what we have now.

Another nice thing about Final Cut X is that you can just important whatever footage you have and it will generate proxies for your computer to work with to improve performance and you don't have to do anything.

Once again, I would suggest the Panasonic Lumix with a good Tamaron lenses.

Someone made a comment about how much X camera can record. That's a silly point. You just got multiple media cards. Most of the cameras use SD cards which aren't expensive at all. CF cards are a little more expensive. Black Magic and RED obviously are a different beast but we're not really dealing with that in your scenario.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Vegas Pro is way easier to composite videos. I have used both Premiere and Sony Vegas and I hate Premiere.

I don't even like After Effects but you can't do advanced post processing anywhere else...

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If you already have it just stick with Premiere. The differences are negligible for most practical purposes. It's not my favorite but it's what I use almost exclusively now because it's what I have, and it's not worth spending money to get something else because again, the differences aren't that great.

If you are on a Mac, Final Cut X is not too expensive if you would rather try that.

As someone else said earlier, sign up for lynda.com membership and go over the trainings there. Great resource.

Still disagree with buying 4k as a starting point while on a budget. The difference between 1080p/4k is not as important to me as the difference between a good lens and a great lens, and if you don't have the money for both, I'm going for the upgraded lens with a used Mark II, GH3, 70d, etc.. You can upgrade the camera body later.

He was referring to the single clip time limit, which is applicable in some situations (i.e. filming weddings). Not talking about how much total footage can be recorded.

#37 DieHard Rocket, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't neglect the basics. If you simply have no jump cuts, and use the rule of three for framing your shots, you'll already be way ahead of half the beginners and people starting out at making videos. Add to that good lighting, and sound, and you're way ahead of the game. Once you do that you can work in whatever kind of stylistic shots, and fancy things you want to throw in to the mix.

Multiple cameras aren't a necessity but will make the shoot go much faster. Make sure you slate it correctly. It will be crucial when you're editing.

Speaking of the rule of three, make sure that if you get a prosumer type camera make sure to turn the auto focus off. The auto focus feature will try and focus in the center of the frame, which isn't what you'll want. It might take a little extra time setting up the shot and lighting to get what you want, but it will be a huge improvement in the finished product.

Also, the first time just do the best you can. After it's over and you start working on something else or even editing you'll realize if you had just done it a different way the first time how much easier it would have been. That's part of the process, so enjoy it.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I agree with you as long as he is not spending more than $500 on a 1080p camera. If you are going to go with a starter camera than go with a starter camera. I don't think you should commit significant resources to outdated tech. Here is what I would suggest for a non 4k camera:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BW6LXHA...lid=2IUP27WGAEGRK&coliid=I17D8MZY91M8RJ&psc=1

Gotcha. Newer DSLRS actually let you shoot for however long you want. They just separate the continuous take into multiple files. RED does the same thing. Basically, you can never have a file more than 4 gigs because FAT formatted drives won't support it.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Jump Cuts at all
    Been testing the Transistions [I use Premeire Pro as well]
    Which do you suggest more? Some just look tacky and scream testing

Rocket River