1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whose door will Morey be at on midnight of free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okrockets, May 24, 2015.

1. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

S&T LMA for Dwight.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In a year in which there are so many quality centers available, that isn't a bad idea at all. Hell, Robin Lopez is available for much cheaper and we know he looks good next to Aldridge. I wonder what the max Deandre Jordan can get paid is? Aldridge + Deandre Jordan in place of Dwight and I don't even care about PG.

#122 Williamson, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Nick Lawson :grin:

Or are you saying our primary PG rotation should be Ty Lawson and Nick Johnson, like Scolandry of PFs

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

If Les doesn't want to fire coaches, I would also be surprised if he would want to trade away a star player like Dwight. He probably likes the big men tradition we have. If Dwight leaves, I think it would be on his terms.

5. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

The only way I'd be alright with Dwight leaving would be if we worked an S&T for Gasol or Aldridge. Even then, it just seems a little crazy to break up the key pieces of a WCF team.

6. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I don't think we'd have the room to sign a decent center. He would have to take the MLE, and then it would be really hard to resign Brew/Josh/KJ/etc.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

would TOR be willing to trade Lowry? I would love him back. He may be the spitfire that Harden needs to spell him as well as push him. He won't be intimidated by Harden.

8. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Excuse me? DAJ is a mega-max player. Get real.

9. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

DAJ for an MLE? Is this preschool?

10. rockets13champs

Nah just get athletic pg and more Center depth, good free throw and 3pt shooters

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I wonder if anything big really happens this offseason. During the first round Morey was on Grantland he said they will have some small stuff but don't expect anything huge.

Of course that could all be a smoke screen.

12. malakas

malakas Member

All signs point to yes. From retaining Casey, to leaks, to smokescreen denials.
    But for the right price.

13. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Price will be steep.

14. freshstart

freshstart Member

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'd be stunned. Isn't he the foundation of their entire roster? And he's got a very reasonable deal given what other inferior point guards are making or will make(*cough* Dragic *cough*). If they trade him, they're essentially blowing up their team and starting over.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I would give up anything outside of James, Dwight, Dmo and Ariza for Lowry

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know the max is based off how many years you've been in the league. What I don't know is if that means Jordan's max is say 12m or 15m or 20m. I know we don't have more than the MLE available right now - but Morey is a master of maintaining cap flexibility and I do not doubt he can clear cap room for a smaller scale max contract. A larger scale max contract seems unlikely.

But Terry's 5.4 million is going away. Papanikolau is team option for 4.9 million. Brewer can come off the books. He is 4.9 million. Trading away Terrence Jone's 2.5 million salary wouldn't be difficult. Guys like Dorsey (1.1m) and Prigioni (1.7m) could probably easily be included with Jones. Smith wouldn't need to come back either if we were able to pull off a Howard for Aldridge swap.

Obviously I know that swapping out Howard for Aldridge and signing DeAndre Jordan isn't a likely scenario to play out - but depending on what the max Jordan is eligible for is, salary probably isn't the main obstacle.

Realistic or not, it's fun for me to think about.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I think a package of Jones + 18 + NY second + first 2016 is equal valuewise (It doesn't contradict the Steppien rule because it will be done on draft night ). You can involve Washington and Miami or Indy and send back the 10th or 11th pick in a fourth way deal.
    But there are a couple of problems.
    First is that next year the All star game will be played in Canada. So the MLSE ( Craptor's owner team) won't like trading their "star" without another coming back.
    Secondly Raptors play in the Titanic division which has so many bad teams that tanking is hard work. So unless you commit everything to a rebuild you will be in the playoffs and can't rebuild.
    Thirdly and most imprortant for the Rockets is the reason that Lowry is available in the first place. I dont' think many here are aware of it. Lowry has been creating problems in the lockeroom. I have some hesitations that he won't create them in Houston as well.

19. malakas

malakas Member

The rookie max is around 15 mil. The max that Jordan, LMA and Gasol will get is around 20 mil. The max Lebron will get can reach 30 mil + next offseason.

The rookie max in two seasons will be 20 million btw. So any contract now even if it says max it won't be pretty soon.

20. malakas

malakas Member

For example :
    Jones for Wash pick (19) + filler
    Package 19+18 to Indy or Miami for 10th or 11th pick
    10 or 11th pick + NY second + 2016 pick + filler to Tor for Lowry.
    This is more than fair. One top 10 pick one early second and one late future first.
    Both Indy and Miami are contending teams without cap space that have fallen in the lottery this year because of injuries. If WCS or Payne are off the board I can see them taking this deal and adding two cheap rookie contracts to fill their bench than one top 10.