1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 3 Opening Line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by el gnomo, May 22, 2015.

1. Rox#1

Rox#1 Member

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

No idea, what "-1.5" means when it comes to better.

Does mean that, if I put $100 on the Rockets winning, Rockets have to win by 1.5 points or more?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm nervous tonight. I'm actually thinking of putting $$$ on GS so that it soothes the pain if the Rockets lose.

-1.5 means that team is favored by 1.5 points. So for NBA betting, if the line is GS -1.5 then it's also Rockets +1.5. In that case, if you put $100 on GS -1.5, and the final score is GS 101, Rockets 100, then you still lose because GS only won by 1 point. If you had bet Rockets +1.5, then you would have won your bet, even though the Rockets lost in the above hypothetical.

4. double.tap

double.tap Member

At Houston +1, just play the money line.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't agree with the logic of betting against your favorite team being a win-win. Your money and a loss are not equivalent. If the Rockets win you made a bet against your team and lost money just so you could console yourself if we lost. Sounds pretty weak.

6. Rox#1

Rox#1 Member

Exactly....you will save on the juice money basically.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

my friend told me the line is basically even...and was wondering why...Then he told me the name: Scott Foster...buckle up Rockets fans about to have some brutal calls at home...

8. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Bro, I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

EXPLAIN IT!

9. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

Man, yall must be messin wit me. Wth is juice money?!

10. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

God dammit, now the Rockets are minus 1. It switched! Wth! This betting stuff make no sense to me at all

11. Rox#1

Rox#1 Member

If you bet the line where rockets are favored by one now, you lose 10% of your winnings. That 10% is the juice money.

The money line was +100 when it was warriors -1...If you win, you don't lose the 10%(juice money)

12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

ML is not a point spread. You're betting on your team straight up. Obviously books wouldn't let you win even money on huge mismatches straight up so they have to price the teams accordingly, and to draw even action. For example, if the Warriors were playing the Knicks you might see GS at a -900 ML favorite. This means you have to bet $900 to win $100.

Now on the flip side if you bet a huge underdog you can win some big money on ML bets. For Game 2 I bet the Rockets ML at +510. For every $100 wagered you win $510, and you get back your $100 bet, so you profit $510. The Rockets lost, so I lost. I bet 50% of my money on the ML and 50% on the point spread for that game. So I came out even since the Rockets covered the +10.5 point spread.

13. Rox#1

Rox#1 Member

Good explanation and I agree with everything except you lost on your juice money, which is 10% of the point spread bet. It is not much but can add up depending on the amount you place.

14. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I put $300 when the odds were 10-1 fml should've waited lol

15. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

So it goes from Houston +1.5 to Houston -1. Not bad. Looks like a W.

16. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Now because the line changed people are more confident? LMAO

I hope the Rockets win but lol

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You're looking at it the wrong way. How much are you willing to pay for a win? $10, $100, $500, $1000? That's how I look at it. I'd easily give up $100 to win the game. To each his own. Now if I put $10K against my team, then that would test my loyalty in a way that wouldn't let me enjoy the game. $100 or a few hundred is just buying insurance in case the worst thing possible happens.

18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Not really. This game could go either way now.

The line change may indicate that the bookies are tryna get people to put their money on the Rockets as too much money has been placed on the Warriors. This way it will even out. Just my 2 cents.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Uh, if you wanted more people to put more money on the Rockets, you would give them more points. This is the opposite.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Good call el gnomo... People always think that Vegas wants the bets split evenly so they collect the juice no matter what, but they definitely make decisions and take sides on certain games like this one. That opening line was shady as hell.