1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Confessions of a superstitious rockets fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, May 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I am torn about attending this game 7 as I have attended the last (3) game 7 losses.

2009 - On the road Lakers game 7 (L)
    2007 - At home Jazz game 7 (L)
    2005 - On the road Mavericks game 7 (L)

On the other hand, I was in Phoenix for the kiss of death game 7 win in 1995.

For the sake of not being the bad mojo for the rockets, I will plan on watching game 7 on sunday from home.

1 person likes this.
  2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're the real MVP.

#62 gifford1967, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  3. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Speaking of superstitions, do you guys think they purposely changed to our usual road uniforms? We have worn the alternate ketchup-mustard ones for games 3 & 4 in both series and this is the 1st time we brought up the regular ones. Coincidence or did the team actually request it or something?

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont get to watch many games, but it does seem when I start watching, they start to suck it up. I turned it off after half time, assuming they were going to get their asses handed to them. I figured if they were going to make a comeback, it was going to be when I am not watching.

I dont think its much as as a superstition. Its a bit like the lottery ... you can't win if you dont play. The same applies, if you turn the game off when they start sucking, you will never see the comeback.

What I find frustrating is when the Rockets do start to lose, its because they are making bone headed moves. I have a hard time watching that on TV.

5. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Buy me a car

6. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Who is this 'we' you speak of? You quit the team remember?

7. Stardog75

Stardog75 Member

When Griffin made that redonk no look layup, I remembered that I had purchased Caramel Bugles in anticipation of needing to do some emotional binge eating after Game 5 and ate the whole bag just because it was there. At that point, I realized that I had failed the Rockets and paused the game, drove to closest convenient store that was open and grabbed a bag of Caramel Bugles and began to furiously stuff my fat face. The cumulative effort of all our superstitions is irrefutably working. Everyone keep doing what you are doing! One day they will erect a statue of all of us outside Toyota Center!

1 person likes this.
  8. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Please post results from game 7!

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I actually watched game 7 this time, but in my bedroom with my "Keep Houston Beard" shirt on. I am self banning myself in a week because of the HeyP thread.

10. jrobich

jrobich Member

My Superstition:

Back in the mid-90 championship years, Taco Cabana was a regular Rockets sponsor. My wife and I noted that everytime we ate at Taco Cabana, the Rockets won.

Fast forward to game 7 this year. We decided another trip to Taco Cabana was in order. Yep, it worked again.

Supper tomorrow night is going to be ... Taco Cabana again!

1 person likes this.
  11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

LOL YOU ARE A JOKE

12. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

^you do realise he is trying to anti-jinx right

13. houston19519

houston19519 Member

DD is a genius man!! Let him do his thing!! :grin:

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

this is why i love clutchfans.

my superstition:
    grew playoff beard with 2 friends. one of them dropped out early during the mavs series.

after we win the first round, i shave my beard 2 days before the start of the 2nd round.

we start losing badly in the series against clippers, have won only 1 quarter out of 12.

after it grew back, we win 3 in a row to close-out clippers.

better believe i'm not even going to touch this beard now.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like every time I give up on the team, they do a lot better. If I feel like they are losers, it's like they want to prove me wrong.

So to keep it going. Rockets are going to lose in 3!

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Didn't watch last 3 games. Instead followed on twitter and the ticker. Watching was getting me too angry and i thought it was unhealthy. I did watch the games after I saw we won.

17. windpuppy

windpuppy Member

T, Is that you? LOL.

OK my friend forces me to come here and share my story... so here I am.

Gonna start with my regular routine which has been going on for years now. - While watching from home, every rockets basket I need to clap, same as opponent's miss, if I don't do that we will start missing and they start making baskets on us.
    - 4th quarter I normally have my winning pistachio on hand.
    - When opponent wings shooting threes, especially guys like Curry Redick Dunleavy, I always look away at the ceiling. If I watch at TV normally it's heartbreakings. Then I will either hear for the brick sound, or my friends cheering knowing they missed, then happily move back to TV. My friends probably haven't noticed this, as they were too concentrated watching LOL.
    - Same goes for opponents shooting freethrows. Obviously it works quite well with DAJ or Drummond, no so much success on the Portland team shooting 80% FT as a team. I proudly say 15' regular season Mavs game 2(?) I successfully jinxed Tyson Chandler's 2 FTs at the end, as well as the Cavs home game I Jinxed LeBron's two FTs. yeah you are all welcome.

Clippers series game 6 is the most wonderful thing ever happened to my long glistering superstition career.
    - I wore my throwback jacket to the usual bw3 where we caught games. We were down by 19, series 1-3 down, literally 15 minutes from a long summer vacation. Then I realized I had a Yao Ming printed replica jersey in my car. I told my friends at the table heck I am gonna do it. So I got to my car, put the replica on, walked back. Then everybody knows what happened after. 49-15 run. 49. To. 15. Freaking. Run!!!
    - When I left the bw3 that day, a staff told me he noticed what I did, and asked me to stick with that lucky jersey. Not only I did that, I wore the same kicks/socks/pants/jersey unwashed (except the socks of course), back to the same bw3 for game 7, ordered the same food and drink. The rest you all know, WCF. W. C. Freaking. Final!!!

Now my friend encouraged me to come here and post my story - **** I have to do what he said right otherwise I am gonna jinx it.

So I am gonna wear the same outfit again this Tuesday, to the bw3, order the same food, hopefully with the same group of guys, still look away on opponent's baskets (kinda hard because you get surrounded by TVs in bw3 no matter where you look at, so maybe close my eyes?). That with my unshaved beard from the beginning of the mavs series.

18. windpuppy

windpuppy Member

Ketchup mustard jersey always got us blown out I firmly believe that. It looks good, but I prefer them less good looking over losing the fxxxxxx game.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

- wore the same t-shirt, shorts, and fleece combo for games 5, 6 and 7
    - friends urged me to watch at a bar with them - I said hell no and took a seat in the same spot and same position on my couch at home
    - refused to eat or drink anything during Games 5, 6, and 7

20. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Guys, it was obviously me. I busted out my original & unworn 1995 Championship shirt, which STILL has the tags for game 6. To remind me & those around me that Clutch City was born in similar situations. I wore the exact same outfit for game 7.

NEED I SAY MORE?!?!

[​IMG]