1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Josh Smith come back next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrosfan183, May 17, 2015.

1. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I had figured him pretty much gone, because I believe we can only offer him the MLE (correct me if I'm wrong please), and we might want to use that on other things anyway.

But he's obviously having a great time. He's winning. He's got a perfect role here. And he's playing with one of his best friends. And now that we've moved on to the WCF, I'm feeling even better about it. Any chance he takes a discount to come back?

I really want him to. Not only has he been absolutely invaluable towards this run, but IMO it frees us up to trade TJones for a PG or something, which I think will help us.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think so, he seems to love it here and has never been more happy playing basketball. Maybe sign him for MLE with the promise of a well-paid contract after that.

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is where Morey gets credit for letting Parsons out of his team option year. Morey did that because he had promised he would. And when you keep your promises, the next guy you're dealing with can have confidence that you mean what you say.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think he does.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think we have a good shot for a one-year deal with a wink-wink for a multiyear deal next season when cap goes up. He likes it here, he can make more money in 2016, and besides, whatever $$ upside is there for him this year is cut in half because of the offset.

7. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

up to him, but i hope he does. he can ball!

well get him and howard to a free throw doctor

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope so. He needs to take less money for one season and then the Rockets can give him a nice bump in pay. I can't blame him if he decides to go for the paycheck, but there is no other situation in the NBA that'll be as good for him(basketball wise) as this one.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Worth noting: Llull finally won the Euroleague title he was chasing and may finally choose to come over.

This will be a VERY interesting off-season

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

With a healthy Dmo and Jones, I actually think Smoove's more expendable than Brewer. But we should work hard to try and keep this team together. Something special is going on.

11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

If we use our MLE on Smith and don't have any money for Llull, will his rights be a valuable trade asset?

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You might have to make him the 'starter' promise...again. But I do think he's earned it and the team would be better for it.

///world's biggest Dmo fan

13. vince

vince Member

Morey has been chasing star players for most of his tenure. He has compiled a heck of a team now. even with all the injuries, the team had the 2 nd best record in franchise regular season history.

Now Morey is faced wuth a dilema, keep searching the elusive 3rd star or fortify with better than average role players...

Man this team with Lull and Donuts would be that much better. it would run the competition out of the court through sheer exhaustion.

Here is to putting my hat into bringing back Brewer and Smith. Two integral factors to the success.

14. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

If he knows what's good for him he will regardless of $$ this is his chance at redemption. Everyone hates him, everyone hates us we are a great fit. He is one of us

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Lock this thread.

Let's enjoy the ride. We have the rest of the offseason to worry about who stays where.

16. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I personally would rather seem him + brewer put into the MLE instead of brining lull over....pg can be had with Tjones, no pick and more

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Ya I think he appreciates Morey and mchale for everything. I mean he's already getting paid 26mil for 4 years so why would he want to leave.

I think smith is all about getting his rings and revamping his legacy. I bet he has told Morey he'll sign for less money to help bring in more players like LMA or someone

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Can't see us using the MLE on him. If he comes back on a vet deal and we get his bird rights, we can get him some more money next offseaosn.

19. SDsportsjunkie

Don't the Pistons still owe JSmoove some big bucks next season? And won't the size of whatever contract he signs offset the amount Detroit owes? If so, he many want to maximize the Pistons' bill.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

mods, please lock. clutchcity still playing, we can talk about this in the offseason!!!