1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Harden go to school?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 17, 2015.

1. tws011

tws011 Member

Captivating analysis DD.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Still laughing. Too perfect.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Give the man a break, he was sick as a dog since game 5.

4. seeingred

seeingred Member

If a star sees that his team can win without him; can come back on the road, down by 19 in an elimination game without him - it has to be gratifying and a little humbling at the same time. I remember thinking the same thing watching this comeback: "Is this a turning point for McHale, Harden, and the rest of the team ?"

Maybe this year, maybe a few years from now, we can all point to it and say, "That's where these guys learned how to win titles."

5. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Guys, when are we going to let go of the dream of Harden playing anything more then below average defense. Just let it go guys.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Come on. If they just play team ball, the Rockets can shoot 63% every quarter while their opponents shoot 18%. All we need is for Harden to try on defense.

7. cmellon

cmellon Member

Source: http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/16/ho...ippers-game-7-preview-james-harden-chris-paul

Even if we ignore the role that inserting Harden might have had in taking the ball out of the hands of the right mix of streaky scorers, the biggest issues come in the way that the superstar guard has detracted from Houston's overall defense. Over the course of this series, the Rockets have allowed 113.2 points per 100 possessions with Harden on the court—nearly the worst mark on the team. This is far from some noise-altered coincidence. The defensive improvement we saw of Harden in the regular season has faded hard and fast in these playoffs. It's blatant in transition but costly at other times, none of which could be afforded in a run like Houston's.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Before game 6, Harden's defensive rating in the Clippers series was better than Howard's.

1 person likes this.
  9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thank you for this post and astute observation-go Rockets -Red nation Karma supports

10. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I think the biggest thing Harden needs to do is learn to pass and then proceed to move without the ball via cuts or off ball screens. Harden knows how to create ball movement (his assists aren't a problem at all) and his defense has been much improved. Harden could hustle a bit more I suppose and make it look like he's willing to leave it all on the floor but I think the biggest thing for him to improve on is just not standing at the top of the key when he makes any kind of ball movement

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes much more of that, he has to honor his assignment on defense.

Kind of surprised that people are so protective, he is the main man of this team, and if we want to get that brass ring he has to play up to his potential on both ends of the floor.

We don't need a triple double, just play his role as scorer, distributor on offense and stay within 2 feet of his man on defense.

DD

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What did Harden learn from the fourth quarter comeback? He learned that if Brewer shoots the 3 ball at 66% and Smith shoots 75% from behind the arc and Jordan misses dunks, Griffin misses 3 point blank shots and Reddick, Paul and Crawford all miss wide open jumpers then we will do well.

What do you think is the chances of that happening again? Do you also believe that the Cavs learned anything from their last game? Do you expect the offense to go through Dellavadova now?

I get it , you want to be the guy that disagrees with everyone because you know more than everyone else. We've seen the act, you're going to latch on to a role player and claim that he would be great if only the team was as wise as you and understood how to use them correctly.

Do you even pay attention to what is actually happening on the court? You have multiple posts in various threads about how Reddick is killing Hardenkand that whoever Harden is guarding is going off. In reality Harden hasn't guarded Reddick the entire series and only guarded Rivers a handfull of times. Harden has been playing Matt Barnes the entire series. I posted video of every made basket in the series by Reddick and Rivers if you'd like to take a look for yourself. You say that Harden should "start honoring his assignments and guarding his man" but his man is shooting .367 from the floor and .200 from behind the arc.

Last series you posted this:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9717280&postcount=2450
    Now a couple of weeks later Harden needs to trust his teammates and learn to share the ball? Nice flip flop.

Do you really think that Harden is dominating the ball or holding it this series? The entire playoffs he has been doubled and he has been passing the ball. Posters are saying Harden isnt being aggressive enough because he isnt forcing the action. He's averaging a whopping 16 fg attempts with 8 assists per game in the series and you say that he needs to commit to team ball?

Just another in the long line of DD gems that we have come to expect:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=4993303&highlight=paul+brooks#post4993303

3 people like this.
  13. DaDakota

Wow - talk about mixing up context.

Harden is the main man, he should take the majority of the shots, but he should also MOVE THE BALL to other teamates so they get a feel of it, and be the finisher as much as the distributor.

Move the ball, move off the ball and get in position to finish on the pass.

You do understand the "Ball getting sticky" comments, right?

That is exactly what I am talking about, when he tries to do it all by himself, we struggle, other teamates don't touch the ball, and our offense bogs down, when we play TEAM ball where Harden is still the leader, our team is much better.

That is all I am saying....relax people, SHEESH !

What the **** are you talking about? I want Harden to lead the team - and play SMARTLY in a way in which it makes the TEAM better - I am not saying we are better off without him, just that he can learn a lot from how the team played in that 4th quarter.

Which BTW is exactly what Hakeem had to learn at least on offense when he was out with an orbital fracture and the Rox won 15 straight.

Honestly - you guys are reading way to much crap into this.....I am saying, play good team ball, move the ball and the body, don't let it get sticky and for **** SAKE play defense.

Stop trying to make it about me, this is about what is RIGHT for the Rockets - feel free to disagree that Harden doesn't have to play defense.

And Jesus Aelliot, did not realize you were a stalker - I mean digging up Aaron Brooks posts from what 7 years ago? Really?

DD

#53 DaDakota, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If Harden is hot let him go 1 on 5. Screw team ball.

I really don't want to see a great game like the Spurs/Clips game 7 where there were 35 lead changes and it came down to last play.

Rox up by 15 at the half in a blowout is more what I'm looking for.

15. DaDakota

The odds are we lose if that happens, Howard doesn't play as hard, teamates stop hustling on defense, and that is basically a strategy for losing, or sure, you will get an occasional game where it can happen, but we are much better off when everyone is involved and yes LEAD by Harden.

Harden needs to be the facilitator, the scorer, and protect the ball, he needs to LEAD smartly....

Well no doubt that would be awesome for all of us Rocket fans.

DD

16. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

we would have lost if Harden was in the game 6 during the 4th. i just think he cant play defense even if he focus on it. maybe he afraid to get hurt or doesn't have the build for it.

17. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Man, has this thread a lot of people arguing with DD about what he hasn't even said..

18. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

no he wasn't. maybe 1 but i wouldnt give him that.

19. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Damn. Harden's defense nonexistent so far..

20. DaDakota

But he is playing correctly on offense, and is much more off the ball and is not holding it too long.

A little sloppy on his passes but that is his MO, he is a homerun passer but not a great one....his Assist to Turnover ratio is not that great, but because he is also a scorer it doesn't matter so much.

DD