1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance McCullers to start Monday at MMP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, May 15, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They still haven't moved Lowrie to the 60 day DL, so they don't really have to remove anybody from the 40 man just yet. Buchanan is they pretty easy demotion from the main roster.

I really am stunned by this move. I'm not sure if they think McCullers can make an impact as a starter right away, or if this is a spot start. This may just be about how poor all the OKC starters are pitching.

Pretty exciting.

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

how about Correa??? Also dang McCullers already go the call. Did not see that coming at all after the last year

3. The Law

The Law Member

Wow tickets are cheap for Monday night games. Just got 2 in the first row of the bullpen boxes for 16 bucks each!

Stoked to see Lance, I will still probably be on an sports-high from a game 7 victory the day before!

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Such a fun damn year. Next up: Correa, Hamels/Cueto at deadline, then Lowrie returns.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On impact as a starter, I think the Astros aren't sure, but want to find out. I typically view AAA as more a purgatory for pitchers as they wait for an opportunity in the majors. I've assumed the current Astros might treat it more as a needed stop.

He's been amazing in AA this season, so there is a chance it carries over and he's an Astro here on out.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great move! huge need with no one able to even fill in at an average level for 5 innings in the 5th slot

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

fun factoid

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">McCullers' dad, Lance, made his Major League debut at 21 in 1985.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/599334887326294016">May 15, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. bball1217

bball1217 Member

So here's what our 2nd half team could look like this year:

C Castro/Conger
    1B Carter/Lowrie
    2B Altuve/Lowrie
    3B Valbuena/Lowrie
    SS Correa/Lowrie
    LF Rasmus/Tucker
    CF Marisnick/Springer
    RF Springer/Tucker
    DH Gattis /Carter

SP Keuchel L
    SP Feldman R
    SP McHugh R
    SP Hernandez R
    SP Oberholtzer L

LR McCullers R
    RP Thatcher L
    RP Fields R
    RP Harris R
    RP Sipp L
    SU Qualls R
    SU Neshek R
    CL Gregerson R

That's a solid team if players perform as expected (or better than) and we avoid any major injuries.
    - Lowrie or Valbuena are capable of playing that super utility INF position, but mostly they will be rotating at 3B with some spot SS, 2B, 1B.
    - Singleton could replace Carter if he is traded at the deadline (I see that as the only way he gets up this year).
    - McCullers & Obie can be switched between starter and the long relief/bullpen arm depending on how each performs over the next few months (assuming McCullers sticks in the majors). Also assuming Deduno gets DFA and Buchanan sent back down to AAA here.

Very interesting, a lot of young guys still in the farm, and a lot for Luhnow to work with to further improve this lineup through trades.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I feel that **when healthy** Lowrie is more valuable than Valbuena and probably Carter at 1B if he doesn't get out of his funk fast. I'd hate to move him around too much unless that is what is best for the team.

Could Lowrie play effective 3B? If not, why is it a bad idea to put correa at third and Lowrie at SS? Because of position value? Would the defense be that much worse? This is a serious question...lol.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe there is one person in the whole organization that you would move Correa for, none, he plays where he's best period.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nerd cave wrote that chapter in the BP book... ;)

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Might be considering a move for Hammels, but want to see what McCullers can do at this level first. If he comes in and looks dominant might not want to move folks for Cole....if he don't look ready then....

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah, here's an interesting tidbit suggesting his call up may be an 'audition' for other teams as a trade piece:

via MLbTRADRUMORES.COm
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/houston-astros

Newly promoted Astros pitcher Lance McCullers, Jr. throws in the upper 90s with an outstanding breaking ball, Vince Lara-Cinisomo writes in a scouting report for Baseball America. The biggest difference between this season and the previous three years of his pro career has been that his control has taken a leap forward, from 5.2 BB/9 in 2014 to 3.4 BB/9 in 29 innings this season. Lara-Cinosomo suggests that one possibility is that the Astros promoted McCullers in order to showcase him as a possible trade piece for a top starting pitcher like Cole Hamels. Here’s more from the American League.

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

If he is showcased and looks good, which would be the point of a showcase, then I would rather keep him.
    If he comes up and makes three starts and has an ERA below 3.00, then we trade him to the Phillies...in hopes that we get Hamels back on track to a below 3.00 ERA?
    I understand the track records and the sure things, but I don't understand the logic if they are showcasing him.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Do we have the prospects to grab Tulo?

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Why would we want to part with good prospects for Tulo, when we essentially have the Puerto Rican version in AAA?

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Agreed, you dont let players like that walk for an overpriced has been.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

offense would be unstoppable.

add another starter via free agency and this team is competing for a ship for next 6-7 years.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Easily, but I doubt the Astros would be willing to give up anything of significance for a 30 year old injury prone SS with 94 million left on his contract after this year. Plus his road numbers while still very good, show the classic Coors field slant.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That was really more along the lines of what I was trying to say with my original post on this.

I think if McCullers "looks" ready, and looks like he could be the real deal, they don't move prospects for a guy like Hamels. If he doesn't look ready though, then in order to pull off a division title and who knows what in the playoffs this year, they might be more willing to package some guys and move them for a guy like Hamels. I think they try to do it with what we have first, but are likely willing to go outside for help if necessary