1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Simmons is leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, May 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Is this Goodell thing really that bothersome? It's one of many current topics he (and everyone else) covers, and this is the tipping point? I don't really care to convince people, to each his own. But it's pretty easy to ignore. I'm more of an NBA fan than anything so I just skip any NFL talk, including whatever new drama is involved with deflategate. He's got plenty of NBA content between BS Report, Bill Don't Lie, articles, the ESPN show, etc.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

It's befuddling to me how so many on here are trying to link Simmons to VICE.
    He may end up going to VICE but the likelihood is no more than it is that he will start his own operation or that he will join another sports network such as....FOX.
    He has no ties to VICE. He has a fair amount of ties to FOX sports. Friends of his both in management and on-air talent.
    FOX is the only one out there that can directly compete with ESPN.

As I mentioned earlier, unless there is a clause in his contract prohibiting him from signing on for employment w/FOX for a set period of time after leaving ESPN, I would put money on him going to FOX. I may be wrong but I feel the odds would be closer on FOX first, then maybe VICE then Yahoo.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

ESPN has not been able to hire or develop anybody close to Simmons since the inception of the internet.

Most of their pundits are talking heads that absolutely zero sports fans will take seriously.

Sure, ESPN will still get page views, etc for general sports news... but there isn't anybody to "replace" Simmons because there's nobody out there that comes close to doing what Simmons does.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's the BOSTON sports guy... always will be, so nobody should be that surprised about his views on his favorite teams (that being said, he's still been able to be pretty neutral in his writing... but it just so happens that Boston sports has dominated across the board over the last decade +).

Also, Goodell deserves every bit of criticism being given to him... he's a PR nightmare that hides behind the protection of the most powerful league in the world.... powerful enough to have every network in its pocket.

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I don't like Goddell much either, but here Simmons clearly has a huge bias and he's using his soapbox to basically be a huge homer. If the Giants were the team about to get rocked he'd be all for it. I can't understand why people are so in favor of Simmons now when they'd flame the crap out of literally anyone else supporting the Patriots in this fashion. His commentary is basically random rants to cheerlead for Boston spots. I don't understand why he has such a huge platform for it.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You do realize that was his "platform" before ESPN gave him an even bigger platform.

ESPN hired him to be the "boston" sports guy (or just continue writing as he was)... they didn't hire him to turn into another talking head (which is all they have left).

7. ferrari77

You have that wrong. He WAS the BOSTON sports guy.
    I'd wager that over the last 5-6 years, interest in his work, expectations from his bosses at ESPN Digital and the entire organization wasn't that he'd remain "The Boston sports guy".
    There's also a happy medium between "The Boston sports guy" and "Just another talking head".
    The last thing I'd expect anyone to call Simmons is neutral in his writing...when it comes to Boston sports. Yes he's never been afraid to go after the Boston teams, their players and management when he sees things going wrong but for the most part he is a Boston homer and that's fine, we all know that. The problem was when it became a constant even after his stature at ESPN grew as well as his platform.

Goodell deserving every bit of criticism is different from Simmons incessantly criticizing Goodell at every opportunity. We got the f****** point the first 5 times BS did so. If you want to criticize Goodell at every opportunity that's different from Simmons doing so. Especially given the fact that Simmons criticizing Goodell non-stop wasn't going to make a difference in terms of Goodell losing his job or having Goodell's bosses take action against him. We got the message but Simmons chose to keep beating the point.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't know what to tell you... complaining about Bill Simmons supporting Boston sports is like complaining about it being hot in Houston.

And I'd say Simmons has a big enough audience to the point that when HE complains about Goodell, ESPN gets pretty touchy because the NFL is its golden goose. There are several others that complain about Goodell, deservedly so, but nobody cares about what they say.

And Goodell still hasn't gotten enough criticism... he does deserve to get fired, but who's going to fire him? The only outlet that can garner that sort of support is the media.

9. ferrari77

Didn't complain about him supporting Boston sports but rather injecting it into almost every podcast discussion or article.

Of course ESPN would be touchy about it and yep BS audience is big enough that such complaints register with listeners but whats.the.point? What would it do in the end except anger his bosses and irritate some listeners like myself who got the message the first five times he criticized Goodell?

That's my point. Who is going to fire him? What's the point of the incessant criticism? Simmons isn't exactly going to rally all the big sports media folk to march along w/him in that area. Simmons doesn't have the ear of 32 or even 1 NFL owner. You and Simmons feeling Goodell hasn't gotten enough criticism doesn't mean a thing because with more criticism he still will be NFL commissioner this year, next year and so forth unless the majority of 32 owners feel otherwise.

My main point again, we got the message the first few times from Simmons. (From first few years at ESPN)You're a Boston sports fan (and from the past year) Goodell is terrible and deserves more criticism. The message was received but the point kept being beaten. Meh.

10. ferrari77

No one has really mentioned NBC and TNT sports much.
    I feel NBC could also be a darkhorse in the battle to get Simmons. They've been splashing the money lately and I wouldn't be surprised if they requested an audience with BS.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, you're resigned to think Goodell should never "lose" his job... no matter how inept he's shown to be, and thus people should stop complaining?

That's like saying news outlets should stop complaining about Obama because they can't "fire" him.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

But that's what I'm getting at. You're asking why I'm in favor of Simmons because of his take on an issue I don't even care about. I'm not in favor and in fact if I actually read the details I probably would agree he is an overbearing ass on this topic.

All I DO care about is NBA talk and I think he's fine on that front. His take on NFL stuff is irrelevant to me. If I had to agree with everything someone said, I'd never read or watch anything ever again.

I get why you don't like him but I don't think it's cut and dry why everyone else shouldn't like him either.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Simmons being a Boston fan never bothered me. We're all fans of something. At least he's transparent about it, and not quietly biased like a lot of media. If someone was a big Houston fan that doesn't mean that person can't be entertaining or knowledgeable about other aspects of sports.

He played a big part in building something good in Grantland and 30 for 30. For that I am appreciative. I find his podcasts pretty entertaining, though I don't really feel particularly either way about his columns.

I would imagine that Grantland will probably start to fade. Don't know if whatever Simmons does next can survive without ESPN backing, but I'll be interested in seeing what it is.

14. ferrari77

Eh not quite. Not a good comparison.

I'm pretty sure those working at news outlets had a say/vote in the election that placed Obama in power.
    I'm pretty sure Simmons and other NFL fans had no say/no vote in the private election that placed Goodell in power.
    The President is elected by the people to govern the people.
    The NFL commissioner is not elected by the fans, to govern the fans. He is CHOSEN by the owners to manage the league and increase revenue(amongst other objectives).

I'm also sure I never wrote that I think he "should" never lose his job but rather I've been stating that complaining about it is pointless because he "will not" lose his job regardless. This isn't like the President of the country going up for elections prior to a possible 2nd term, or like the NFLPA president going up for elections prior to serving another term.

Lastly, I never said people should stop complaining about Goodell. You can, I can, other folk can, Bill Simmons can, others in the media can. My problem is with the incessant complaining from Simmons. We. Got. The. Message.

15. ferrari77

Fair play.

What happens with 30 for 30 going forward will def be interesting too.
    30 for 30 is still an ESPN property I guess and it seems Connor Schell will still be on board and I guess Simmons as well...but for how long? Will he be able to wrest it from them? Will he come up with something else? Should be interesting to see.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a homer. We've known this for over 10 years. Quit acting affronted and/or surprised that he keeps doing it.

ESPN's contract with the NFL is worth $2 billion. Don't act like Goodell wasn't making noise about ESPN's most prominent personality pissing on him (rightfully so, most of the time) all of the time.

17. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

Yes, Goddell likely had a hand in ESPN's decision, just like Stern would have. I think Goddell is terrible and should resign. But that doesn't change the fact that although everyone here hates the Patriots for good reason, for some reason everyone here is in support of Simmons even though he's basically spewing Patriots talking points straight out of Foxborough. What the hell? Is his cult of personality that strong?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only way any commissioner is going to lose his job is from PR pressure from the league put on them by the media.

ESPN is a biased network because they're in bed with the NFL... there needs to be an independent voice when there's clearly wrong-doing by the head of the most powerful league in sports. Today's actions are in-line with a corporation wanting to silence an independent voice.

And if anything, the public helps PAY Goodell's salary. Without fans buying tickets and watching games on TV, the NFL doesn't exist. I'd say the public has every right to criticize him and call for his head, just like people criticize an elected official.

19. ferrari77

Unfortunately Bill Simmons neither controls nor speaks for the media. He was doing it for the most part alone and it made zero difference.
    Also, NHL fans are still waiting for Gary Bettman to lose his job. (Obviously media interest isn't comparable between both leagues).
    Of course they're a biased network and are in bed with the NFL. That's kinda obvious and not exactly a secret. Bill Simmons WHILST being employed by ESPN wasn't that "independent voice" and didn't need to be so.
    To me today's actions are in line with a corporation parting ways with an employee for numerous reasons-one of them being his constant refusal to toe the line particularly pertaining to his criticism of one of the networks cash cows. Now he can go be the "independent voice" you seem to be stating he should be.
    Lol, the public helps pay the salaries of a lot of people. ESPN also helps PAY Goodell's salary if you want to factor in the various chains that lead up to the salaries of league commissioners.

Of course the public has every right to criticize him and call for his head, no one is disputing that. I've stated multiple times already that the fans are within their right to complain and keep complaining but it is pointless. Regardless, fans are perfectly entitled to keep doing so. Not Bill Simmons whilst being employed by ESPN.

20. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I love tosh's thing on espn, "the rest is for whoever has to fill in for bill Simmons for having the audacity to defened women"

It's true. If anyone actually thinks the NFL didn't see the video until it became big deal is a moron. I saw the elevator tape on world star like 2 weeks after it happened lol