1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Pacers set to sign Brad Miller, trade him to Kings, Hedo & Mercer to SA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MrSpur, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I called this over a month ago: I said Miller to the Kings for Hedo and either Clark or Pollard. No, I didn't think San Antonio would get in on it, but it's still Hedo and Pollard for Miller.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

From the Kings' perspective, you have to wonder if they considered that they're making their Western Conf. rival, San Antonio, much better by doing this trade.

Look for Keon Clark to get dealt soon, unless they use him as Webber's backup. Between Divac and Miller, there's no minutes left at center. Webber plays about 40 minutes a night, so where does that leave a guy like Keon Clark?

3. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Here's what I posted earlier:

"Now the Kings have the the two centers in the league who are most successful in getting under Shaquille O'Neal's skin: Vlade Divac, whose constant flopping flusters O'Neal, and whom O'Neal went after in the Kings/Lakers preseason rumble, and Brad Miller, whom O'Neal took a massive swing at after several Hack-a-Shaq attempts. Since you can't stop him physically, why not test his mental toughness?"

I think they're focusing more on the Lakers, since they're the team to beat now.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Makes sense, since the Lakers are in their division. But San Antonio is still the team to beat IMO. Damn I need to get to sleep.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Why would they deal Clark? Vlade's max contract ends after next season, and he's 36 years old. So if Vlade leaves, the Kings are left with Webber and Miller starting and Clark coming off the bench. I can't see many moves coming for the Kings after this.

6. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

I hope they focus on LA too.

7. BALLhog 247 365

this is great news for the rockets...more better big men are moving to the west while houston only has yao ming with a bunch of scrubs at forward positions.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't care about finances. Basketball-wise, this move doesn't help Indy at all.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

One angle that hasn't been discussed is that Sac now has the guy who Shaq hates, Brad Miller.

I think this is another Sac ploy to try to create a rivalry with LA.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

C-Webb is out for the 1st few weeks of the season (his knee surgery). They need the back up at the 4.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

LilStevie3 mentioned it twice.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Honestly if this trade goes down I don't think it is that big a deal. Brad Miller is younger than Vlade, but Vlade is one of the best guys to throw at Shaq. Sac with Vlade(savvy vet)/Clark(better shotblocker than Miller or Pollard or Vlade)/Pollard (poor mans less skilled Millier) just doesn't seem much different than Miller/Vlade to me. Marginally better, perhaps, but this isn't going to make or break it with the Kings and they also lost some depth at the 2/3 so overall it won't make much difference.

For the Spurs it doesn't make a whole lot of difference either. Not a bad move, I guess now they can try out Hedo and Manu to see which one they keep, but if it results in the loss of Jackson to keep them in position to sign one of the former next year I don't think it is a big advantage. Jackson they new they had chemistry with, Hedo--a guy with offensive talent for sure but maybe not a lot of discipline or defense--who knows.

For the Pacers--obviously just a move because they are cheap and does hurt them. Hard to believe the Miller for Pollard and salary reduction was really the best move out there.

All and all if this is the last major moves by the 2 WC powers this offseason I'd say the rest of the league is happy--especially given the potential for SA to land a 2nd star along with Duncan that looks pretty done for the near future.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Chron's report of it doesn't include San Antonio: just a straight swap of Pollard-Turkoglu for Miller. Might San Antonio get cut out of the deal, considering Turk's contract is about to expire anyway?

14. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The deal's on. ESPN reported it was, as well as SA, Indianapolis, and Sacto media.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm, watch out Brad. You are now playing at least four times (not counting playoffs) a year against Shaq on his arch-rival team. Next time his punch might not miss. :p

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Anyone else find it odd that Sac would deal with SA like this? Kinda weird that they would help out a fellow contender.

17. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Couple of points to this:
    1. I think this shows Sac does not feel SA is the biggest threat next season.
    2. From where Pollard and Hedo sat on the bench, they probably got the better end of the deal.
    3. The way I read it in one article, they did not have a whole lot of choice. They traded Hedo and Pollard for Miller directly. Indiana then in turn traded Mercer and Hedo for Ferry.

Shows you what room under the salary cap can do for you. The beauty of this for the Spurs is Mercer and Hedo only have one year left on their contract which makes for good trade value or space again next year.

18. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

I find it both odd and enjoyable that the Kings decided to send out Turkoglu.

SA has wanted him since the 2000 Draft. They tried like mad to trade up in that draft for him. Unfortunately he didn't fall like Parker did (another SA draft target).