1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyus Jones

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NBAphenom, Apr 7, 2015.

1. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

Tyus Jones was named the Most Oustanding Player in the 2015 NCAA Championship Game

[YOUTUBE]KGdQujhfRnw[/YOUTUBE]

2. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

This is who we are most likley to draft with that 18th pick he fits in with our system can dribble shoot can play p&r
    My only worries is his defense but i remeber reading a article about rockets doing alot of scouting on him
    If he can improve on his defense then he will be our future starting pg

3. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

Well i actually just read his profile on draft express and hes a average defender but his weakness is his athletic ablity and sz hes only 6"1 and hes not a good athlete so hes undersized but he has a 6"5 wingspan

4. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

[Video] Tyus Jones 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Weaknesses

Tyus Jones 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Strengths

[YOUTUBE]ogXDIlKbm50[/YOUTUBE]

Tyus Jones 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Weaknesses

[YOUTUBE]5EhJ_h49WDU[/YOUTUBE]

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Tyus is a perfect fit for the Rockets and when you consider his head and shoulders a better athlete than Prigioni and Terry it's really not hard to project him the starting lineup . Plus his a very smart kid I expect him to be a smart defender. At his age his already a plus three point shooter and he just knows how to run an offense. And he is super clutch. That's a skill you can not teach.

6. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Seems like a guy who just gets the job done. Chris Paul-like.

8. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Consensus from a handful of scouts in Chicago on best fit for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones: Houston</p>&mdash; Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) <a href="https://twitter.com/JerryZgoda/status/599644824254316545">May 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Maybe on a Collegiate level, however he was a Freshman (1 and done) who was playing for the best program in the nation along with 2 other diaper dandies. Not sure this translates well into the NBA. I can name many a great talent in college who aren't what they were supposed to be in the NBA.

I would argue he'd be a good off the bench player, like a JJ Barea type. Not sure he should start. If we do end up drafting him and plugging him in as our starter, I hope he's ready to shoot open 3s. I also hope he proves me wrong with his talent. I don't think he will translate well in this league.

10. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i'd be ok with that pick

11. malakas

malakas Member

On a vacuum yes he is a good fit for Houston. But there is no vacuum and this team has Harden. How do you think to play Tyus and Harden together? It would be the worst backcourt defence of the league. And due to his athleticism his defence won't get a lot better- it can get to at best case, average after years if/when he learns good team defence (it takes at least a year on average for rookies to learn team defence).

12. LCAhmed

He'd be a good 6th man if he's NBA Ready. Plug him in much like a Barea type. He would be the Josh Smith of the team, running the offense when Harden is out. I would be okay with this, of course that would mean we'd have a good starting PG who could hit open shots and run the offense occasionally when Harden needed to rest or run back screen plays/etc,

13. malakas

malakas Member

But there are a few problems with this. While he would offer playmaking when Harden sits , he is not a shootfirst instant offence type of PG and secondly and most importantly even with him progressing after some time, he won't be able to play alongside Harden - ever- if you want your defence not to be full of holes. So at his ceiling he won't be a starting pg next to Harden -which imo is what the team should be looking for in this draft. Why draft someone who is a terrible fit next to Harden? Unless you don't think Harden-the franchise player- should be a factor taken into account when drafting?
    I think Grant or Payne would be much better fits next to Harden. Even if they aren't the pure PGs that Tyus Jones is, they can play next to Harden. Esp Payne would be the best for what you describe in your post.

ps. so as not to seem too harsh about a prospect before he even gets the chance to play a summer league game in the league- when I say ever- I say it taking into account his very real athletic shortcomings. You can improve your shooting- infact is the most easy skill to improve on- but you can't improve your athleticism or your height which are extremely important when it comes to pg defence.
    I really like Jones as a player but the questions about how he translates into the next level are very serious.

14. LCAhmed

My point may not have been clear, I apologize.

I think we should take Tyus in as a 6th man option, not a starter. And we should only take him for this role if we are able to land a solid starting PG to play along side Harden who can run the offense occasionally and hit open shots while playing alongside him.

Starting caliber PG is not the same player as Tyus. So I would want the Rockets to pick up a separate player to start next to Harden if we were to draft Tyus.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope I didn't come off as insulting either!

1 person likes this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

lol why would you come off as insulting?? We only make conversation here.
    I agree that Tyus is not a starting pg in this league - at least from what all his college games/scouting reports have shown so far. Maybe there is a small tiny chance that he surprises us and he can be however in my opinion to be starter he will need amazing wing defence and rim protection and a team defence that can hide him.
    I really think that Grant or Payne would be much better options for the Rockets. Grant may be older than your usual prospects but that shouldn't be a problem because chances are he is much more ready than a 18 y.o rookie to contribute to a contending team.

1 person likes this.
  16. LCAhmed

Payne coming out of Murray State. Just Like Canaan. Interesting tidbit.

I agree, Grant and Payne are better options for right now. Grant should be gone by the time we pick, I don't see us moving up to nab him either. If he does drop to us though, we better snag him.

17. malakas

malakas Member

We will know more in three days but after the top 10 picks which are almost clear, there are only two teams that could pick a pg/sg. Indiana and Utah. And Utah could very well trade down or out of their pick. So even though it's extremely early yet, I think unless a team reaches, one of Grant or Payne will fall to 18.
    And anyway in that case, I think it would be better to look for a pf. One of Lyles Portis Looney.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When was the last time we played a rookie as a starter? When was the last time we gave a rookie extended minutes?

This team doesn't trust rookies, especially in our current situation, as a threat. So, whoever we draft, it is highly unlikely they'll be seeing any significant time for a while. At least a year, more like 2, maybe 3.

19. basketballholic

FYI,

Tyler Ennis was the 18th pick a year ago. Very similar size. Very similar stats in college. Ennis undoubtedly the better defender. Jones the better offensive player. But I'm not so sure Jones is that much better than Ennis to overcome his defensive deficiencies under Ennis.

I'm still intrigued by Ennis from last year's draft. He's more athletic than Jones for sure with a little longer reach. I'd have to believe that if Morey actually keeps this pick and drafts Tyus Jones that he sees something special in him. Tyus does have that offensive moxy and creativity that makes the great PGs special. I've watched him enough to believe he's got extremely high basketball iq. But .......... finding guys with his size that are truly special....like CP3...or Conley.....is very rare. For every Paul or Conley you find at that size there are a thousand (or more) Andrew Goudelocks.

If we draft Tyus Jones, I'm just gonna have to trust Morey. That seems like a long-shot at #18. Although I see great basketball iq moments from Jones....his size and lack of athleticism make him a risky-risky pick on this team that is trying to conserve every asset to win a championship.

I think if I were Morey, I'd be trying to figure out how to move into the top 10 in next year's draft. Perhaps package this pick at 18 with pick 32 and next year's pick along with a couple contracts for a pick locked into the 3-10 range or something like that. I'd rather make a run at Kris Dunn (or somebody else) next season. Not that I don't like Tyus Jones. I just think that you can probably get 96% of Tyus Jones from a minimum salary contract next year and the year after.

#19 basketballholic, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  20. malakas

malakas Member

RV6 if you draft Portis in the case Terrence Jones is traded, then he could play minutes and enter the rotation from the rookie year in my opinion. The ones that are difficult to contribute from the first year are usually PGs and Centers.
    Ennis has shown lack of athleticism that has affected the team defence- in a team that has amazing wing defence and can hide him.
    Imagine how Tyus Jones will look like.
    It's easy to watch college games and be amazed by the bball iq. But these guys will go against the fastest most athletic bball players in the world. And their deficiencys will show- sadly.

Hm but which teams are locked for sure to be 3-10 next year? Except Minny and Philly? Without the Free agency we don't have a clear idea of what happens and draft day trades happen before free agency. Next year Portland and Mavs depending on free agency could be in the lottery while Utah and Sacramento are in the playoffs. The East is a trainwreck there is no clear idea who makes it.