1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if Dirk accepted the max contract offer from Morey last summer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Apr 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Do you think Dirk regrets rejecting the offer from Morey to join the Rockets?

He could be playing for a contender. Now he's rotting away in the poor Mavs organization with yellowing teeth. Oof.

2. Xercules

Xercules Member

No, I think he's too loyal to the Mavs/Cuban. Dallas is where he wants to be.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yellowing teeth? His teeth has always been yellow.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I have respect for guys who stay with their team for life. The fact that he won a ring makes it more tolerable, I imagine.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

offer isn't the same thing as finalizing a deal...

6. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

dirk and dwight are a nice fit

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dirk is way overrated and can't defend worth a lick. He was done and washed out since his 2011 when he got his ring..... Who in their right mind would give him the max?

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

An emerging young Dmo that can defend some next to this Howard is a better fit.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If Dirk had signed with the Rockets I would still be crying. Watching Rockets games would be torture.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't even want Dirk, especially at a max contract. I don't even think Morey was going to offer Dirk the max in the first place.

I would take Dirk on a full MLE type contract, maybe a little more. He is a downright liability on defense and he hasn't been anywhere close to himself on offense (his season high is 30 btw). Definitely would take Smith in his prime or Jones/Dmo for their potential than Dirk nowadays.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Just drop the DMO crap... he isn't better than Aldridge and he isn't better than even old man Dirk.

Hell, there is a good chance that DMO isn't even able to beat out Jones for starting duties.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

so what is the word on him or beverley coming back at some point? end of 2nd round or 3rd round maybe?

13. Nook

Nook Member

I have not heard anything about Motie coming back, I don't think they expect him to be back this year.

I have heard Western Conference Finals for Beverley, but sister said it would have to the the NBA Finals.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey said on 790 that Bev isn't coming back this year. He said that Bev is a warrior and wants to try, but the doctors are pretty clear to Morey that he won't be back. Lance/Adam then said, well what if he comes in and he's just healthy and wants to get out there? Would you stop him? Morey said the doctors have made it clear they won't clear him.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I thought he said that in relation to Beverley saying he would be back in round 2?

Either way, it was very clear that Morey did not expect him back and didn't seem all that enthusiastic about even talking about it.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Lol at thinking morey will offer the a multi year max at dirk

Im pretty sure morey will try with something less

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhhh.... he actually did.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...mavericks-agrees-3-year-deal-worth-25-million

Maybe he was just trying to raise Dirk's price up in order to keep Cuban from stealing him back, and getting other players with their free agency dollars, but from a production standpoint, Dirk was definitely still producing at a high level last year, and would definitely have been worth it to the right team. No team was going to give him more than 3 years because of his age, but "max-level money" was definitely on the table and I would have expected Morey to pay that amount if Dirk did decide to leave.

Would it have ultimately have been a mistake... I don't know. Dirk clearly took a massive decline this year, and there is some risk that he could decline further next year, but as a 3rd option, and as a support player for Harden and Howard, you can do a hell of alot worse than Dirk Nowitzki.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having Monte Ellis.

19. ICanDunkOnYao

ICanDunkOnYao Member

Sounds like posturing for a certain Mr. Durant..

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

We would have had significantly less dunks last game.