1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's not forget 2005... this series is FAR from over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

We are beating the crap out of a team the media said would demolish us. Told us that we are 7 or 8 seed at best and the Mavs would be 3 or 4 seed all year.Plus it's Dallas .........*** Dallas!!!

2. houstonflagfan

I'm all for cheering them on, just don't think we should act like we won the series when were only up 2 headed to Dallas.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

It's about taking the high road and acting like we've been there before. One step at a time.

Plus, there will be plenty of time to discuss the next round while we wait for the spurs-clips bloodbath to end

4. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Many Rockets fans felt the same way in 2005 after we won by 12 the first game in Dallas, then beat them again in game 2. After the first two games, I don't think anyone would of imagined Dallas winning by 40 points in game 7.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

knowledgeable basketball fans know the series is over before it started. dallas' offense is a regular season offense. dirk is old, monta is barely even a 3rd option on a contender, parsons is overrated, rondo is a wtf. also a bad defensive team. 24th in opponent ppg, 16th in fg% and 26th in 3pt%.

if you watch the rockets then you'd know they can be a good defensive team and have shown in the season w/o dwight when we had black and kostas was playing. we beat the mavs by double digits in both games with our best player slumping, along with two rotation players out for the playoffs, and dwight on a minutes restriction. media doesnt know **** about the rockets thats why you dont hear much of this. havent even played their best basketball yet with the roster they have.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

You can't compare the 2005 team to this one. The 2005 team has two stars and just everybody else was an undersized scrub. The current team, while flawed with no starter caliber pg, has tons of talent. Two superstars and a bunch of tall, talented role players. A fourth quarter quintet of Harden, Howard, Smith, Ariza and Brewer is capable of finishing off a lot of playoff teams.

I still say we will beat them in 5.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

As much torture as Rockets' fans have been through, let people enjoy this moment however they want.

During all those years of mediocrity fans had nothing but moral victories to cling to. The standards for success were so low that people were excited about going deep in the D-Leauge playoffs, winning summer league "championships," rebuilding while still being "competitive," and being knocked out in the 1st round year after year.

There was so little to cheer for that people engaged in mental gymnastics to justify and rationalize contradictory positions. They convinced themselves that results didn't matter while, at the same time, they resorted to putting the GM on a pedestal and worshiping him as a "wizard" and engaging in blind support with phrases like "in maury we trust." Mediocre role players like Chuck Hayes were hyped up on ClutchFans. Royce White was even called a lesser version of LeBron James. Large factions of fans have become so sensitive that they developed a persecution complex and began manufacturing various narratives, such as "we're the villains" or "Houston gets no respect," to cope with the status quo even though the Rockets had largely been irrelevant. People hated on other players and downplayed the accomplishments of more successful teams. There was (maybe still is?) a desperate need to seek approval and validation from various sources. Many were so consumed by these thoughts and ideas that they didn't even realize they were experiencing this type of mental anguish, which prevented them from properly diagnosing the situation.

That's how bad the psychological suffering has been over the years.

Now the situation is changing. People are tasting a little bit of success. They're happy, emotions are high, standards are being raised, minds are being liberated, and the team is on the verge of doing something that hasn't happened much over the past 15 years, which is experience post-season success. Not even Le$, Maury, and McFail should be able to prevent this. Thus, fans should be able to celebrate how they want, especially against the Mavs.

1 person likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Morey got us Harden. Thus, in Morey we trust!

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This

We so looking for jinxes and hexes
    In the midst of victory ...we seek defeat
    Then are miserable shorn we find it ....

Rocket River

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

All those would have to happen every game for the rockets to lose 4 of 5

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Something like that would have to happen in just four of five games, actually.

I'm with the OP. I have savored each game so far, but I'm not counting any chickens. I hope the Rocks come out tomorrow and throttle the Mavs, clamp down on them completely, and go up 3-0. That's all I'm thinking about, and that's probably what the team and coaches are thinking about.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully enjoy the moment but I can tell you from experience that getting upset when you think you have it won is a far worse feeling than upsetting someone else. Given Houston sports history this is a lesson that we should know very well both from the Clutch City years but more importantly from all those Choke City years.

I really hate to do this but it bears reminding of where we come from.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ubCybJk-IAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7ozua4K01I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l6pNpC8kdUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PaYTyqWtFw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not saying we shouldn't enjoy each victory but believing that we have the series won after two games is peddling false hope. I'm not sure about many things but I am pretty sure that if the Rockets lose the next game this board is going to be unreadable. As much as people are declaring victory now is how much people are going to be handwringing over defeat.

Let's celebrate these wins for what they are but not get ahead of ourselves.

1 person likes this.
  13. AXG

AXG Member

Hey Dallas...
    [​IMG]

14. desertfire

desertfire Member

No matter what happened up to that point better teams don't lose by 40 in game 7.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The difference between those moments and the one now is that I didn't offer my prediction on what would happen. My analysis has led me to the conclusion that it's over. So you can sleep comfortably knowing that Kwame has provided you with his expert opinion. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

16. bongman

bongman Member

A reminder from the best Rocket of all time .....

[​IMG]

One game at a time !!

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you're right. I hope all of y'all are right.

As I said though this board will be unreadable even if the Rockets just lose tomorrow, let alone the series.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You can't even bring up 05 lol that ref was FBI probed and thrown in prison. He admitted to that series being rigged.

This is just way different, anyone with half a brain can see theirs just a talent gap between the teams. When you got a team of over the hill players no matter how good they used to be in 2011, your just not going to have a good chance against a team full of vets in their prime two superstars one being the league MVP or runner up. Not to mention X factor player like josh smith who has a 54 million dollar deal given to him less than 2 years ago. This team has contender written all over it. I really can't understand the pessimist on this board and around the league.

I guarentee if this rockets team said lakers on the front the whole world would be saying we're the favorites and that's a problem but all we can do is .... Shake them haters off this is our year.

19. Bob Barker 007

Your response is like Old English poetry. Simply too beautiful to comprehend :eek:

20. biojayc

biojayc Member