1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets will not match Grizzlies offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BALLhog 247 365, Jul 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

A simple man on the verge of getting banned.

2. wink2moochie

wink2moochie Member

I apologized for my comments....im just mad at the favoritism going on...please forgive me

3. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Woah, that sounded sarcastic man, but I would trade Griffin straight up for Murphy like *that*! In a second!

4. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

There is no favoritism going on here....the Posey situation is about $ not skin color....and Piatkowski is Polish not Jewish per your other racist remark.

5. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

It's people like you wink2moochie that think the Holocaust never occurred...and will make it happen once more.

6. wink2moochie

wink2moochie Member

i realize that im sorry but i just dont like how this summer has ended up for the rox....we digressed while ev1 progressed...see wut i mean?

7. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

this is probably the most stupidest move YET the rocs did this off season!!! :mad: what's next?!

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah, all that favoritism. Lets see, everybody in our starting line-up last year but Yao Ming were black. Our back-up PG was black, our back-up SF was black, our back-up PF was black, and our back-up center were black. Yeah, the Rocks SURE are showing a ton of favoritism to white and foreign players aren't they!

9. Dreamlead

Dreamlead Member

Now that I see the possibilty of Posey actually signing for 4 years for $24 mil, I'm beginning to think Rockets may sign him just to make use right that our organization loves those big contracts. Oh well, can't win them all right?

10. wink2moochie

wink2moochie Member

point taken yall....i apologize plus i guess i hate the front office at the rox...the teams done nothin but gotten worse when they seems to get better

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

wait, me might pass on paying average to below average sf james posey 6M a year and we might get a really good outside shooter out of it? hot damn, that's sweet.

and if jvg is supposed to be such a good defensive coach, why do we want to get good defensive players instead of offensive players? wouldn't it make sense to get the offensive players/shooters and let him coach them into workable defenders than to get crappy shooters who play D and just let him accentuate their good D.

furthermore, i assume we project (and that's what planning a team requires, projecting as best you can) yao and eg will be very good twiin tower type defenders one day. they've played a whopping 3 years combined and both already know how to blocks shots. yao b/c he's 7'5 and eg b/c he's 6'11 and has a hell of a feel for shotblocking. if they develop even further, it places even less of a premium on perimeter D b/c guards will be scared of them.

and if yao and sf are to truly flourish w/o defenses swarming them, outside shooting will be needed. this does not come from the james posey's of the world. i'm not saying piat is the long term answer, but to me having a shooter/scorer at sf is more important than a defender in JP who isn't that exceptional at D. as someone pointed out, remember the utah back to back? remember JP being taken out to the woodshed by harpring in game 1 and then harpring struggling in game 2 against cat? i do. cat is fine for defending the scoring 2's and 3's of the world. not all-world, but certainly no downgrade from posey.

and if we truly want boki to develop and if he does, what do we do with JPo's 6M then?

i'm willing to bite the bullet on the sf situation this year if it means we are free to find a better fit (i.e. a shooter) for the future who can be had for much the same price.

and RM, why are you lamenting our wingman defense b/c of the wingmen of the west? not that guarding wingmen isn't important, but the East is wingman country. the west is pf and pg (francis, marbury, payton, cassell, bibby, nash) country. we can handle it a little better over here.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

a. Does anybody on this bbs like to point out when they've said something right (even if they haven't necessarily posted it before) more than Newgirl? anyone?

b. Does anybody like to show us the rockets salary situation while seeming to think she is the only one who knows we have bad contracts more than Newgirl?

and c. Does anybody like to state the obvious, but make it seem like a revelation, more than Newgirl?

lets not. i believe there was some recent post that stated we made something like 22M last year. it may have included LT rebates, but it most certainly included revenue from yao. we are working with higher revenue now. not to mention we are moving into a new arena.

while it comes out to more than the 3-4M it is not necessarily 13-18M. for one, the 3-4M is not all in LT land. and two, you do not lose all of your 8-10M rebate for just going past the LT limit. you lose it on a prorated basis as your payroll goes from the LT limit to the Cliff Provision Limit (someone give me a better term for this). the cliff is several million above the LT, lets say 4. if you go 1M over the LT, you only lose 25% of your rebate. so lets say posey pushed us 2M into LT land with a 4M contract, we would pay 4M, 2M LT, and lose 4M-5M in rebates. still a lot at 10M-11M, but not as much as before.

Think it's not really business?

no.

Even Cuttino Mobley I am not very sure is really worth his current contract.

uhh, what? if cuttino isn't worth it, then who exactly is that is not a star in the making on his rookie contract? i think there was even some ranking of production to salary last year on some site and cuttino was in the top 10. pretty hard to argue cuttino isn't worth his contract.

And you can forget about trading them as well because NO TEAMS would risk getting over the luxury tax land by taking on these players' long overpaid contracts.

well since teams have to trade equal salary for the most part, they won't go up in payroll. look at the recent 4 team trade, all overpaid players, all traded. vin baker was traded for crying out loud. anyone can be traded.

13. thechangx

thechangx Member

we are going backwards....

piat is not what we need ....fat man rice is better than him in all standpoints

nachbar reminds me of murshad turkhsan or whatever his name is

OUR COACH LOOKS LIKE A TROLLL

wtf is going on!!!!

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I will come right out and say it. Maurice Taylor is not overpaid by NBA standards. Stop using him in your examples. Let me make it real simple. Top nba big men get the max nowadays, which is roughly around 14 million dollars, give or take a few million. Taylor is an above average pf, and certainly right around the halfway point in terms of starting power forwards in the NBA. 8 million is a bit more than half of a max salary. At the time the rockets made the deal, Taylor had not had his unfortunate achilles tendon injury and had played extremely well the 2nd half of the year. He was young(24-25ish) and worth signing to that contract. It's not the Rockets fault they got a gift in their minds in Eddie Griffin and Mo got hurt by a freak injury in a pickup game. But there is no way that was a bad decision at the time.

Norris, I agree with and Cato I can buy, but Taylor is not in this group. Sorry.

15. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Mo Taylor wasn't even above average in college.

16. MONON

MONON Member

If Cato continues his play of last season, his contract becomes almost a bargin. Only on the West playoff teams is he not the starting center.

17. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

For a power forward to be considered average, they have to at least play some defense and try to rebound the ball.

Mo does neither.

Just because he has a nice jumper and can help spread the floor does not make him above average. It only makes him above average if he rebounds and play defence.

His failure to do those two things makes him a liability to this team when he is on the floor.

Any power forward that makes 6 million and does not play defence or rebound is over paid.

18. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

MoT, provided he doesn't get injured again, is worth what he is paid. He is an excellent scorer in the low post, and is also an excellent mid range shooter. He is not the typical PF, but he can be VERY effective. I thought that Rudy under-utilized him. I would like to see a few more pick and rolls with SF, CM, MoT, and Yao. Both these big guys shoot the mid range J extremely well, and would pose match up problems for other teams.

Cato is starting to play up to his contract, and Mooch had a TERRIBLE season. However, he did play well in the 01 -02 season, perhaps he will turn it around.

19. stab

stab Member

First of all, our team isn't defined by a small forward. It is defined by a 7'5'' Center, an All-Star guard and a new defensive minded coach. Hell, even JVG got Allan Houston to play D on occasion!!!

Everyone really needs to relax!!! Everyone is talking about Posey like he is friggin MJ or somethin'. Was he a good player, yeah. Was he a great player, no. Are we going to miss the playoffs because we aren't going to overpay him? No.

Wait until you see what JVG has in store this year for the Rox. Everyone will be suprised. This will be a very good year.

PLEEEEEEZE let the season begin........fast....

20. Live

Live Member

Late as usual.

I didn't read all the responses, so forgive me if I'm "singing the same song."

If this story about the Rocks not matching the Grizz offer is true, I say 'Bravo' to them. I like Posey, but not at an average of 6M per year.

I think the Rocks have learned their lesson about extending sizable contracts to role players.