1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Pacers set to sign Brad Miller, trade him to Kings, Hedo & Mercer to SA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MrSpur, Jul 23, 2003.

1. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1584734.html

Wednesday, July 23

Pacers set to sign Brad Miller, trade him to Kings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

Indiana, Sacramento and San Antonio are on the verge of a three-team trade that will send Brad Miller to the Kings, ESPN.com has learned. The deal would foil attempts by Utah and Denver to sign the free-agent center.

The deal calls for Indiana to sign Miller to a multiyear deal and ship him to the Kings, who consider him the ideal long-term replacement for Vlade Divac, the 35-year-old center entering the final year of his contract.

As part of the exchange, Indiana receive Scot Pollard as a replacement for Miller, after the Pacers determined that they couldn't absorb the luxury-tax implications of meeting Miller's money demands.

The trade will also send swingmen Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer to the Spurs as potential replacements for free agent Stephen Jackson. Turkoglu and Mercer are both in the final year of their contracts, preserving San Antonio's salary-cap flexibility for next summer when it must re-sign Manu Ginobili. Jackson is seeking a long-term deal.

It's expected that at least one more player will be involved in the deal, likely going to Indiana, to satisfy salary-cap requirements.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, send Stein a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

2. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

SA would likely have to send out someone under contract. My guess is Bowen. They have $7 mil in cap room and if they get back Mercer and Turkoglu that is $8.75 mil.

3. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Nice move for the spurs, getting to rent Turk and Mercer as a stop-gap given their swing and miss in the FA market this year. I guess if Tim sleighs the big dragons this year by himself (again that is how it will be seen) thus winning another championship. Then...they can sign someone next summer, someone, anyone!

"But we have all this cash!"

4. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Keeping most of the young core intact and adding Turkoglu works for me.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Amazing move for SA. Damn.

That would suck if they had to lose Bowen, along with Jackson though. Bring in O, lose D.

6. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

ESPN reporting that SA would only send out picks. Spurs must've reworked Horry's deal (lower starting salary, more guaranteed years) if that is the case.

Yeah, Jackson's future in SA would appear to be in doubt unless SA can find a taker for Mercer. Of course Mercer's deal is up next summer so maybe the Spurs just spend one season with a deep bench. They wouldn't be near the lux tax threshold if they did this deal and re-signed Jack. Might be hard to keep Jack if he thinks SA sees Turkoglu as the long term starter at the 3 and Ginobili at 2.

7. rushdi

rushdi Member

This is a STUPID trade for the kings! They are my sec fav team and to see them trade pollard AND turkoglu is a bad move in my opinion to get an average big man not much better than pollard...:(

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's a great move for Sac.

They get a good C (Vlade isn't really that good anymore) for a backup PF/C and a 3rd string SF.

What I'm wondering is what exactly Indy gets out of this.

9. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Indy gets a center that won't stick them into the luxury tax villa......good deal for them, because under no circumstances was Donnie Walsh going to pay luxury tax, even to keep Miller. SA adds to a deeper bench by renting some players for a season while Sac-town gets their center of the future for only a pair of backups (albeit great backups). I see this as a rare trade where everyone's a winner.

10. rushdi

rushdi Member

LIke i said miller is a decent center but is he that much better than pollard? i know they need a c to replace divac but to get rid of turkoglu who i think could be great and pollard who is a solid contributor is not a smart move imo plus those two were great for the system.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good trade all the way around really.

Kings are the big winners. They give up Pollard and Hedo for one of the better centers in the NBA in Brad Miller. Sacramento's championship window is more open now. They finally have a replacement for Vlade and don't have to give up much at all to get him. Huge coup!
    Dallas has to be pissed now in missing out on Mourning, Olowokandi and now Brad Miller!

Spurs win because they get two solid bench guys in Mercer and Hedo. PLUS BOTH of their contracts come off the books next year opening up cap room again for them to play the market if they wish. Solid

The Pacers win and lose. They lose because Miller is gone but they at least lop off Mercer's contract and get somone, Pollard, for Miller. Before they would lose Miller for nothing to Utah or Denver.

The BIGGEST loser of the trade are the teams NOT involved namely Denver and Utah. They both lose out on Miller, especially Utah who as of right now is iffy on getting Maggette.

12. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Nice save by the Spurs...they can let Jackson walk now, making way for Ginobili to start, and like others have said, play the free agent market again next offseason.

Still, I think they're underestimating the need to pick up a legitimate backup point guard for Tony Parker. He's no ironman, and over the course of an 82 game season you don't want a Randy Brown or Chris Childs running your team if he breaks down.

13. sun12

sun12 Member

Ginobilli might be able to run the point. He is good at passing.

14. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Now the Kings have the the two centers in the league who are most successful in getting under Shaquille O'Neal's skin: Vlade Divac, whose constant flopping flusters O'Neal, and whom O'Neal went after in the Kings/Lakers preseason rumble, and Brad Miller, whom O'Neal took a massive swing at after several Hack-a-Shaq attempts. Since you can't stop him physically, why not test his mental toughness?

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

did i miss the memo where all the eastern teams are going to try to make the west as great as it can possibly currently be? i don't care how much sense this makes to indy (and it does), this still just strengthened the west in terms of current talent even more.

east gets pollard.

west gets brad miller and ron mercer.

hmmm.

is there a tmac for bonzi wells trade coming up any time soon i should prepare for?

16. alaskansnowman

Great trade for the spurs...

I've always felt Hedo had a lot of game and is just waiting to explode. And Mercer is a very potent offensive weapon that can flourish with the presence of a Duncan.

17. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Spurs starting 5 is set for some time...

1 Parker
    2 Ginobili
    3 Turkoglu
    4 Duncan
    5 Nesterovic

As for a backup 1 they can find that for the vet min. The big ? is whether or not they can keep Stephen Jackson.

18. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think the Rockets should now go after Stephen Jackson. The west is now seriously loaded. The top three teams in the league have now gotten much better.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Something doesn't seem right, the Pacers would have to take back within 15% of the combined salary from Miller and Mercer right? I can't see how this trade is legit as described.

20. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

That's where the Spurs' caproom comes in.