1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Jackson???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TIburon, Jul 24, 2003.

1. TIburon

TIburon Member

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this guy...

I've heard/read about San Antonio maybe getting Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer(as potential replacements for Stephen Jackson) in a 3 way trade with Sacramento getting Brad Miller and Indiana getting Scott Pollard...

Just wondering if we have a shot at Jackson...

I like the guy, he's a above avg. defender, has a good jumper and is only going to get better...

Have to remember that this was really his first season as a starter and major contributor...

It makes sense to me especially if we are going to let Posey go... Not sure he's a SF but at 6'7 he's better than Piatkowski at the SF...

Does anyone know what teams are looking at him??? Obviously if this trade does happen(this trade is from ESPN writer Marc Stein) then they won't resign Jackson...

I personally like his game and would fit Houston now that we have Yao inside and we need shooters...

2. Possum

Possum Member

We should give him serious consideration. I wonder what kind of salary he will command?

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would sign him if he came cheap enough.

4. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Hey, I've already made this thread...Nyway, is he a restricted free agent?

5. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Spurs have his Early Bird Rights and I believe they've extended him a qualifying offer. Not sure. He might be looking for a starting job elsewhere. Right now I would say that Denver could nab him. Spurs would like to have him back and may give him the money. His agent is Fing everything up though.

6. Possum

Possum Member

Yes but if the rumors are true about SA getting R Mercer and Turgalo then it would be very unlikely the Spurs would match any offer unless it was ridiculously cheap.

7. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The Spurs are certain to match most 'cheap' offers. Denver has the cap room to outbid SA.

8. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Well, the Spurs might match in the $4-4.5 mil range. Mercer will be lucky to spend all of next season in SA before leaving. There's room for Jack if he wants to be back.

#8 MrSpur, Jul 24, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  9. SpursRocketsFan

SpursRocketsFan New Member

Author Topic: Scoop: Rockets may come after Stephen Jackson
    Dusty Garza

Member # 2

posted 07-23-2003 11:13 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just heard that the Rockets may offer Stephen Jackson a contract. Apparently Jeff Van Gundy loves him.

Developing...

--Dusty
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 4033 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 2002 | IP: Logged

versace3177

Member # 5807

posted 07-23-2003 11:15 PM
    Leeches !!

Spurs Brazil

Member # 3945

posted 07-23-2003 11:16 PM
    Dusty

Any chance of Jax stay?

--------------------
    "Elite players are the guys who help their team and take them to the top echelon of the league,'' Duncan said. "That's what separates the good ones from the great ones.''

Posts: 1367 | From: São Paulo Brazil | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

Spurs Brazil

Member # 3945

posted 07-23-2003 11:17 PM

[ 07-23-2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Spurs Brazil ]

--------------------
    "Elite players are the guys who help their team and take them to the top echelon of the league,'' Duncan said. "That's what separates the good ones from the great ones.''

Posts: 1367 | From: São Paulo Brazil | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

Anthony Parker

Member # 4324

posted 07-23-2003 11:18 PM
    Sjax is my favorite Spurs player and i hope he doesn't leave. If he does leave i hope it is Houston because they are my 2nd favorite team and i think would really help that team. Hopefully the Spurs are smart enough to trade Mercer and keep Sjax.
    Posts: 488 | From: San Antonio | Registered: Oct 2002 | IP: Logged

more on spursreport about this....

10. Possum

Possum Member

This from ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1584734.html

The presence of Turkoglu and Mercer would enable the Spurs to offset the potential loss of free agent Stephen Jackson, who is seeking a long-term deal and might not be back in San Antonio. Because Turkoglu and Mercer are also entering the final year of their respective contracts, the Spurs would retain signficant salary-cap flexibility for next summer, when they must resign Manu Ginobili. If the Spurs don't save sufficient cap room to re-sign Ginobili, they will be in the same position Golden State finds itself now, helpless to match any offer to Gilbert Arenas with a starting salary above the league average ($4.9 million).

I would be happier if we got Jackson than I would be Pike. He doesnt have the range of pike but he is younger more athletic and could grow with this team and become nice role player. I say offer him the same package we offered Posey and see if he bites.

Sidenote: Jackson was born in Houston. Don't know how that will factor in but it can't hurt. ;)

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Picking up Jackson would be great, but I see San Antonio matching any deal we offer whether they want him or not just to stop him from coming here. But Stephen Jackson would be a great pick-up, especially if the Rockets could pick up Piatkowski as well, though I doubt that is possible.

12. BALLhog 247 365

one reason they acquired ron mercer from the pacers was because they said stephen jackson was going to be too steap for them...if hes steap for them hes steap for us

13. gideon27

gideon27 Member

Hog's right. They've been saying about him all summer that he wants a long term contract, and it's probably more than what the spurs would want to pay. I don't think the spurs are looking to re-sign him at all.

14. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

He could be one of those guys that can be had on the cheap after all the other teams have made their moves...

15. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If we put a long term deal (6 or 7 years) on the table at a price that comes close I think Jackson would have a hard time turning it down. He's from Houston and would fit in here. He could be the answer at sf plus if he really pans out he could give us the flexibility of being able to trade Mobley for better front court help without losing anything at sg.

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Jackson was the Spurs' version of Cuttino Mobley. Solid contributions, and the balls to take crucial shots, but not quite there in the head. Adding Jackson to a team that already features Francis and Mobley would probably keep us at the top of the turnover charts for decades to come.

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I'd still take Stephen Jackson. JVG likes him so he must think he fits with the team. And the Spurs hate losing him so they must have thought he fit. Definitely Jackson would be a great addition for the Rocks.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

What, did I miss Van Gundy commenting on Jackson? He'd be a great addition if we could bring him in to replace Posey.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jackson will be asking for more than the Rockets want to give out. Jackson will be looking for a lucrative mutliple year deal contract, something I doubt the Rockets want to add to their cap, epsecially if they are balking at Posey's current price.

Just my personal speculation but Jackson is probably looking for a 6 year deal in the 5 million dollar a year range. In his mind he was a key cog on a championship team so he will be looking to be PAID.

Additionally I believe his agent is the EVIL Dan Fegan who ALWAYS gets his clients contracts that are WAY more than what the player is worth at the time. Recently we had to deal with Olajuwon and Shandon Anderson in this regard.

Pike would be a lot cheaper and for less years than Jackson.

20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Personally, I think if we somehow added Pike and Jax and the team stayed healthy, we would be a lock for the p'offs. WE NEED SHOOTERS IN THE WORST WAY POSSIBLE.