1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ SIMPLE FIX ] There's a simple fix to end all the hacking!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Apr 11, 2015.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Both of these could still be possible. If the foul is ON THE BALL, and not in the act of shooting... clock stops, 2 free throws, change of possession. Same as it always was.

Maybe it wasn't specified, but I think the intent was for this rule to apply to off-the-ball fouls. The offensive team still gets the advantage if they control who has the ball, which the defense can still try to dictate through pressing.

This "bonus optional" solution is the simplest, best fix I've heard. I like it. As someone else observed, it's like declining the penalty in football... play on.

I agree that guys making millions should make free throws. We have no one to blame but ourselves, under the current rules. But, I still hate what this does to the game and want to see it changed. The bonus is designed to penalize a team for making excessive fouls, so it should not result in the opposite effect. Fix that.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Simple fix. Don't rely on a rule change. Get better at FT shooting.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Off the ball fouls should never result in free throws unless it's intentional in which case there should be fts but let the player with the ball shoot them. The bonus should only apply if you foul a player with the ball.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just to be clear, what we are talking about is intentionally fouling off the ball. We would still allow intentionally fouling the ball-handler. There is nothing wrong with that

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the worst idea I have ever heard.

If the bonus is optional, the other team can just FOUL AGAIN, and WASTE TIME. If this situation occurred late in games, it's even better for the team trying to foul.

An alternative option is something like this:

If a player is fouled "intentionally" in consecutive plays, the fouled player would shoot 1 shot and also receive the ball back. THIS would eliminate intentional fouling.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

How is it better for the team trying to foul? They don't gain a thing and their player receives a foul called against THEM!
    It would be really foolish on their part to keep fouling just to prolong the game and possibly run out of players.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Agreed. Don,t let them get away with it.

Do it asap before the playoffs or on national tv

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Several have mentioned this, however you all are missing the point. The opposing team should not get to dictate who scores the points. This is a flaw in the system, its easy to fix and it should be fixed.

I am not a fan of the +1 and the ball. I think this will encourage more crappy playing like flopping, or it will discourage defense in fear of getting a foul.

Once a team is in the bonus, the fouled player should get the choice of inbounding anywhere or picking another player to shoot for them. If its a shooting foul, the rules stay the same.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Once a team reaches 8 fouls then it is 2 free throws and the ball.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

orrrrrrrr

JUST HIT THE DAMN FTS LOL.

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This.... tbh

I hate when other teams do it, but it's a part of the game. Forcing a big who can't shoot FT, to shoot FT, is the equivalent to daring a really bad shooter to shoot a wide open shot.

The harsh truth is the only way around it, like mentioned above, it's to make the damn FT!!

12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I said the exact same thing during the game. At the time Duncan was 3-6 at the free throw line.

But of course you can't expect McHale to come up with anything which differs from his original game plan. Maybe in a playoff series and by game 4 he'd come up with the idea.

I swear to God one of the assistant coaches with an ipad constantly scrolling the game thread and doing what's said in there would be more effective than McHale.

13. dmoneybangbang

Tim Duncan is shooting ~74% FT on the season.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Tim Duncan was shooting 50% during the actual game.

Forgive me if I don't care his average from 8 weeks ago. Or 4 weeks ago. Or last week. Or the game before us. Or the first game we played them this week.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's a truth. But not the truth. In the context of whether "hacking" is good sportmanship it's just a rationalization.

If a rule doesn't make logical sense, it can and should be changed. There's the longer-term truth.

The way to beat it right now is to make free throws. But that isn't a argument in favor it being a good rule.

16. The Law

The Law Member

The rule states a player on the court can exit the floor in the event of a medical emergency. That player must not re-enter the game for at least 1 possession.

So if you have Smoov take off running down the tunnel with a player chasing him, you have a 4on4 for that possession and he can re-enter the game on the next offensive possession.

So just have a rotation of Dorsey, Howard, Smith all taking turns running to the locker room for a medical "emergency".

It would be so pathetic that the NBA's hand would be forced in the offseason to make some changes

17. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they are ahead, they can just put in a scrub, wait a few seconds, and foul the worst FT shooter. They don't gain points, but they can waste a lot of time doing this.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Either let the team being fouled pick a FT shooter for intentional foul off the ball or start giving technical fouls to the team committing intentional fouls off of the ball. If they start giving technical fouls, each player on the fouling team would only have two fouls to give before they get tossed and the team being fouled would get three FT attempts and one would be by their best FT shooter. Something has to be done.

Another idea would be to give possession back to the team being fouled if the foul is intentional and off of the ball. Also, it is ridiculous that the refs even call these fouls for a player just basically touching a player especially when they let the foul Duncan committed against Beard go on the last play of the game.

#78 cml750, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Brilliant. I really hope the Rockets read this.

20. X32

X32 Contributing Member

NBA should change the rule in that a player that is out of play cannot be fouled or it will be a 2 shot + possession. So if a player inbound the ball and just stay out of play, the opponent cannot foul him. The game will become a 4 on 4 game as one opponent player is committed to the inbound player yet he cannot foul him.. This will make the game more interesting...