1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TJ Ford

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leibs2002, Jul 20, 2003.

1. leibs2002

leibs2002 Member

I realize it is only summer league but the guy has been playing pretty well (leading in assists while shooting about 48% from the field and over 90% from the line). What are your thoughts on him in his rookie year and for the future?

With Payton and Cassell gone, he is going to get solid playing time. I predict he will finish the year in the top 5 in assists while averaging about 11 points per game. Your thoughts?

I wish we had made some trade to get this guy!

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's up around 15 ppg. He has obviously worked on his shooting and is a constant threat from downtown. I predict 13.8 ppg and 8.3 apg.

3. leibs2002

leibs2002 Member

I have said from day one that he will lead the league in assists within 3 years. Seeing as he will get a lot more playing time than most rookies not named Carmelo and Lebron, I am going to go out on a limb and say he wins rookie of the year. You heard it here first...

4. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

I'm with you leibs2002. I was a fan of TJ ever since he was at Willowridge even though im at Marshall High School, the rival of Willowridge. But anyways I think TJ can be what leibs2002 said and more. I expect rookie of the year since he is already starting and will get plenty of minutes to shine. Within 5 years in the east i think he can make the all-star team. I believe TJ is an all star in the making that not alot of people expect. I think many people will think he will bust or just be an average role player. Many people label him a bust already because he is short and cant shoot. Not many people don't realize the incredible work ethic of this kid. He can work on any weakness he has to become the best player he can be. Heck even my sig is about TJ.

check the stats of Lebron vs. TJ

-------------min----pts----asts----rebs----st----to
    Lebron-----27-----14------5-------9-------1-----5
    TJ----------26-----10-----11------6-------2-----1

Milwaukee won 100-80.

for full stats http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/03SL_BoxScore_Session12c.pdf

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

i expect about 10 pts 7 assists 4 reb from Tj this season. about ROY though, i am not sure those numbers will get it for him. Bron and Melo are going to put up sick scoring numbers for rooks and Darko will have the chance to dominate as well. good luck TJ!!!

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I would say that 10-11 ppg is accurate, along with 7-8 assists.

I dont think his shooting will be as good, considering the fact that actual NBA players will be guarding him.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

i am guesing 10 ppg, but i could see tj averaging up to 15. the guy is just so quick that he is going to draw a ton of fouls taking it to the rack and he is cold from the line. milwaukee seriously got a steal with tj at 8.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd say about 12.3 points, 7.6 assists, and about 3.5 rebounds. I said this once, when he was in college, but no one agreed, but his game is like Francis', except with a little less rebounding, and more "pure" point guardish.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:confused:
    Four months ago you were saying he's 'barely' a backup NBA point guard...now your saying he's going to average 10/7, minimum? Whatever.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TJ was the best college player and is a differnce maker...he is the next Jason Kidd

16 pts, 8 assists a game.

DD

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

Milwaukee doesn't have many consistant scorers, so I don't think TJ's assist total will be terribly high. His scoring output may be a bit higher than expected, but at the cost of shooting percentage. Defense will be a concern just because of his stature; bigger points will be able to post him up easily.

A stat line? Oh, 13-14ppg, 6apg...on 40-42% shooting.

12. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Do you really think he'll win ROY over the hype machine that will be LeBron? I would think LeBron James will deservedly win it, but let's say TJ does well. Won't the debate be reminiscent of Yao vs. Amare (the whole flash vs. fundamentals debate)?