1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale needs to call plays come play-off time [Steven A Smith]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Mar 27, 2015.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Harden doesn't need help scoring.

The smart thing would be to get some shooters some easy looks by running them off screens every-now-and-then.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im glad you said in general with to prolific scorers, because I think we would benefit greatly with shooters moving without the ball and coming off down screens. Of course that goes against the whole 3 or layup idea of Murray, which I'm not against but when things get stagnant, a Rip Hamilton type of player would do wonders to just keep the scoring up and the offense flowing.

If mcfail was competent enough, both Brewer and Terry could fit that role and Harden wouldnt have to work so hard.

3. bongman

bongman Member

Steven a Smith knows little about coaching a team so how does he know if we are running plays or not? His knowledge of Rockets is limited to the highlights being shown on TV and I would be surprised if he watched more than 3 full rockets games. He is a hack.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He did last time we were in the playoffs. McHale doesn't make things any easier on him. Usually when the defense takes something away good coaches counter by putting their players in different positions to score. They help make the superstar's life easier. McHale doesn't do that. Adelman did. JVG didn't. Rudy did.

1 person likes this.
  5. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Westbrook is in the MVP race from the 8th spot?
    David Lee's name comes up next to Bogut's in the playoff conversation? Lee isn't even part of Kerr's rotation anymore and Kerr himself has stated this. These guys are dreadful. It's like they don't even watch the NBA.

6. hakeemthagreat

He must've watched a few Rocket games. His criticism of Mchale is what Rocket fans been saying since the Portland loss last year

7. SeabrookMiglla

i noticed this. seems like we score a lot after the huddle. as much hate for lack of play calling mchale gets, i have noticed this.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Hmmm another thing people called me a hater for saying about Mchale [​IMG]hmm, I'm feeling vindicated today, lol

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

+1

did people not watch the playoffs last year?!

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

every time I think you've turned the corner - aged wisely or just tempered your penchant for making ignorant comments - you come back with a bang.

you do know that basketball is the sport played with a round orange ball and the goal is to put it through a circular hoop 10' above the playing court, right?

just making sure you're not confusing sports, people, logic, etc.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Feeling vindicated because Screaming A shares the same thought as yourself.

I'm not saying Screaming A is always wrong, but he's more miss than hit. And I'd say he's wrong here.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm a rockets fan and think that his coaching has been excellent this year. They've improved defensively, regressed somewhat offensively, but have been dealing with the loss of offensive players who could create - putting harden in a difficult position.

McHale's coaching is a significant reason we are a 3rd seed.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

We have a lot of sets with dribble handoffs, princetonish cuts, curls, etc... The problem with the offense is that there is no secondary action and movement. If something isn't working then we need to have a counter and usually our counter is just Harden at the top.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I was kinda joking but actually when you look at it, it really doesn't take a genius to figure out and see it's James who makes all the decisions out there our offense is just James Harden deciding what to do with the ball that's it. And I had this discussion just last week, yes we have set plays but 8 out 10 times though I would say James is just being James without play calling. This and also the fact that I was called a hater for saying that Dwight came here for James not Mchale makes me feel good. Because people seem to think that I "HATE" Mchale. There is actual knowledge behind what I'm saying, I don't hate Mchale just cuz... He's a great guy but I don't think a great coach he makes.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets do have a habit of reverting to ISO-ball when things aren't going well or when it's late in a game(look at New Orleans the other night). But it's unfair to say they don't call plays. They do post up D-Mo. They post up Smith. They post up T-Jones. I'm sure they'll give Dwight some looks in the post. They run PnR plays for Harden, Ariza, and Brewer. The bench guys love to push the ball off of missed shots.

But late in games if things are close and you need a basket, is there a better percentage play than giving it to Harden and letting him create? He needs to be more aggressive and not just dribble out the clock and jack up a 3(even though he does make his fair share). But seriously, which would you do if you were McHale if a playoff game(or series) was on the line? Give it to Harden at the top of the key and let him do his thing or run a play for someone else?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Were those the playoffs where we had the highest Ortg in the league? Obviously Harden didn't play well, but overall offense wasn't our problem.

17. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dwhaW2nVVcg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/dwhaW2nVVcg

So many options. Impossible to stop. I miss Rick.

18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

well by God Steven A Smith said it and he is on TV, so it must be true!

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

What about " a stop, hoop and a stop"? Surely that's in the top 4?

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The real issue for McHale is not the lack of plays, its about discipline.

Morey said that he understand high TOV is unavoidable in this style of offense, so that is something the Rockets needs to tolerate.

But TOV comes from f**king dumb decisions is just unacceptable.

When Dorsey gets the ball down low, he should look for his teammate to pass the ball and never even try to go 1 on 1 on anyone.

If Josh made a bullet no look pass to Dmo which almost took his head out, its not acceptable he will do the same **** 5 minutes later.

These are McHale's and his coaches responsibilities to hold the players to be accountable.

Which in most cases, they failed.

A team with better discipline and playing smarter doesn't mean will slow down your offense, it should only improve it.