1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MVP Watch 2k15: James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 23, 2015.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Probably because of Kyrie. He's averaging 22ppg and 5apg. At minimum, that's 32 points Kyrie contributes to the Cavs every night.

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Wade literally averaged 20 free throws a game in the 2006 Finals. If Harden puts up numbers and the Rockets win, that's all that should matter.

3. jdm485

jdm485 Member

I'm still skimming through the last year's voting results, but with the exception of the Florida teams, it looks like every team has three "local" voters. For example, Bill Worrell, the Rockets' Spanish play-by-play announcer, and Jonathan Feigen represent the "Houston media." That means roughly 90 out of the 124 voters are local media members. As for the remaining voters, ESPN employees account for the vast majority of national media members. Unless he was added this year, Tim Legler is not one of them. However, unfortunately for us, neither is Jalen Rose.

If others are interested, it might be worthwhile to create a spreadsheet tracking where actual voters currently stand. I know Bill Simmons stated on his most recent "Bill Don't Lie" Podcast that he is now leaning toward Curry, and I believe Sam Amick said he was still leaning toward Harden. Also, I'm assuming we all know how the Houston and Golden State (and possibly OKC) media will vote. Relatedly, the way the votes are calculated -- 1st place = 10 points, 2nd place = 7 points, 3rd place = 5 points, etc. -- means the system is ripe for manipulation. I would hope such a scenario is unlikely, but a voter could purposely vote a player into fourth or fifth place to increase the likelihood the voter's preferred candidate wins.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

???

Furthermore cumulative VORP totals has Harden at 6.7 and Curry at 6.6 despite Curry playing over 300 few minutes because him & his team is constantly blowing out their opponents.

ESPN's WAR which is the cumulative RPM totals has Harden at 17.2 and Curry at 16.24, less than a 7% difference despite having over 12% more minutes.

Harden might be the MVP and he would have a compelling case for it, along with Curry, Westbrook, Lebron and ADavis. But that case doesn't need to be built by incorrectly dismissing the accomplishments of his competitors.

Fact- Curry & Harden have been and are statistically equal or nearly equal for most of the year. By advance and traditional metrics their numbers are very comparable and debatable as which is superior.

Harden's MVP case doesn't rest on discrediting Curry, Westbrook or Lebron, it rests on the Rockets standing and what the metrics and eye tests have shown Harden accomplishing this past year, despite playing without Dwight Howard for most of the season. His case is similar to that of Steve Nash when he won MVP in 2005 when Amare was out for the year. Only Harden is doing it with superior numbers and a superior conference. Unfortunately so are other candidates.

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If Harden can add a post game, he will be the best scorer in the NBA even if KD is healthy, etc.

Just think of Harden doing a quick spin to the middle of the paint, doing his "bring the ball out" move and drawing fouls every time! Plus, he is more than strong enough to back down his man and finish through contact. Guaranteed lay-up or foul.

Adding a lethal post game will make his even more efficient. Scary thought.

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

An average isn't a minimum so there is flaw in your logic. I get what you mean though but averaging 22 ppg and 5 apg doesn't translate to a 32 point contribution every night.

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

Carrying this over from the Bev wrist thread.

I think this makes a really strong argument for Harden as the MVP. He has us as the 3rd seed in the west despite being the most injury-affected team in the WC.

If that's not the definition of the most valuable player to their team, I don't know what is.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*chuckle*
    I was just about to do the same thing

Rocket River

9. i3artow i3aller

Chess not checkers.
    [​IMG]

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

another carry over from another thread (Spoiler Alert: I'm a homer).

Westbrook spoiler effect. If Curry isn't the best at his position, how is he the best player on his team?

11. rocketboyz1

rocketboyz1 Member

or

because the best player at his position doesn't play for his team.....wow:rolleyes:

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

All I'm saying: one of the common interpretations of the NBA MVP an award for the year's best player. It's easily arguable that Curry isn't the league's best PG, so how is he the league's best player?

In reality, I understand that its a combination of criteria (media darling is a big one), and so the odds are stacked in favor of Curry.

13. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” <a href="http://t.co/keNqMh3v1t">http://t.co/keNqMh3v1t</a></p>&mdash; Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/580832420334718976">March 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:p
    [​IMG]

14. i3artow i3aller

^

Way late on that. Apologies, J.R. I should've known.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

James doing well, just needs to be more consistent.

16. split41

split41 Member

James Harden is number 1 in WS right now. If he can continue, the numbers should back him for MVP, meaning he adds the most to his team. If he doesn't win, I'll be pissed.

Win Shares
    1. James Harden ▪ HOU 14.5
    2. Stephen Curry ▪ GSW 14.0
    3. Chris Paul ▪ LAC 13.3
    4. Anthony Davis ▪ NOP 12.1
    5. DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC 11.1
    6. Damian Lillard ▪ POR 9.7
    7. Kyrie Irving ▪ CLE 9.7
    8. LeBron James ▪ CLE 9.6
    9. Jimmy Butler ▪ CHI 9.6
    10. Russell Westbrook ▪ OKC 9.3

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

half game back from second place makes james case so much stronger.

if james and steph finish #1 and #2 in the standings, but steph has a great team and coach for help, and james has no help, its so obviously james as the MVP.

lets hope for second place! the grizz play the spurs tomorrow, with a spurs win we'd pass the grizz in the L column!

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

without a doubt...didn't think the rockets had a chance for 2nd seed (please no 2009 jinx) but how can you not pick him if that is the case?

Ninja Turtle is only .1ppg ahead of him too, so hopefully James will get his scoring title back.

19. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

It seems like the two narratives are that Curry has the winning team but lacks great numbers but he should be MVP and Russel has ridiculous numbers but his team record isn't great but he should be mvp.

James Harden has the combination of these two narratives and has done it with the injury problems that has been the worst for any team this season.