1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Vernon Maxwell speaks openly about... everything

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Huge ovation for Vernon Maxwell.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/578728554050940928">March 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Robert Horry would rather go to battle with Vernon then anybody else. real.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2015/03/19/vernon-maxwell-proves-you-can-go-home/

3. reliableman

reliableman Member

They have conflicting day jobs -- i.e. basketball jobs.
    Kenny filmed an interview from Turner studios.
    Sam looked like he filmed his from practice facilities.
    Glad to see their pretty faces. :eek:

4. Rocketeer Bang

Absolutely loved MadMax. The Dream goes without saying, but Max along with OT were my favorite players back in the days. Playing with passion, and possessed physicality to boot. Really really miss those days.

i always ration that the best days of NBA were from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. The Detroit Bad Boys, Nique with the Hawks, Bird's Celtics, and Jordan's Bulls out East. Then in the West, you got the showtime in LA, Barkley and the Suns, the Sonics, Jazz with Malone and Stockton, the Blazers, and of course, our beloved Rockets.

the atheletes today maybe better, but the games now just pale in comparison to those in the 80's ~ 90's.

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Mid 80's to mid 90's were the best years for most sports. Tennis: Sampras,Agassi,Baker..., Boxing: Tyson,Holyfiled,Bow, Soccer: Maradona,Ruud Gullit, van Basten, Bagio, Romario, Ronaldo and so many others. I miss those days.

6. Rockston

Rockston Member

Gahhh Damn! George Karl is my least favorite coach of all time for this very reason.

What a dirty fvkc! -____-

7. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

yeah kenny was on air for march madness on CBS and sam is an asst coach for the clippers.

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Didn't watch the interview but does anyone know if he's ever discussed his nickname of "MadMax" and what he thought of it. Maybe in the past while he was playing or something.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

When you hear that from an NBA Champion who fought Michael Jordan day and night, you KNOW it's the truth.

One of the best interviews of all time, by the man who buried the dreams of the Knicks in front of our very own eyes, along with his teammates.

Go Vernon! Go Houston Rockets!

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well deserved. Great to see him give that fantastic interview too.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vernon was such a great competitor. Awesome having him on those Rockets teams.

I remember when he got in a fight with Herrera in the locker room before the team went to Mexico for an exhibition game. Maxwell was suspended. I think the rumor was that the team asked Herrera to "take one for the team" to keep Max out of trouble in Mexico.

Then during the year I think Maxwell got hurt in a game and it was Herrera who came out and was carrying him in his arms to get him off the court. My memory could be wrong and it could have been Maxwell carrying Herrera off who was injured.

Whichever way it was, the two guys who had gotten in a fight in the weight room, obviously hadn't lost any love or respect for each other.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The interview so many of us has wanted to hear for many many years. I loved how Max came across as completely sincere as he answered the tough questions about how his time in Houston ended and he did it without an ounce of bitterness in his voice or expressions.

My respect level for Max took a big step forward after hearing that interview. I hope he keeps the door back to Houston open from now on. Love seeing the guys from the 1st Championship Team.

13. bushies

bushies Member

You're a major asset for Rockets fans, Clutch. Other reporters may have gone for the bigger names, but it takes a fan who knows the team history to know that most fans are intrigued by this guy (and you stuck with the interview for great questions and candid responses after others walked away).

I always liked Maxwell a ton on this team for his passion (and NBA Jam play), and hearing this interview plus Horry's endorsement only makes me like him more. (And don't get me started on how people forget he was a major key to our bragging rights over Jordan's Bulls).

1 person likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

these people who 'forgot' were not rockets fans in that era. there was no social media and the only people who really knew Rockets vs Bulls were the Rockets fans and Bulls fans. Everybody else got their NBA history through NBC and David Stern and Nike. Remember the extreme media biased against the Rockets, like not publishing or making the Rockets cover of Sports Illustrated until the entire city of houston started canceling their magazine subscriptions. Plus we were never on National TV.

So I shake my head in laughter when the newbs get so sensitive about what charles barkley or stephen a smith say.

Try not getting a SI cover if you won the title and then when you win 2 in a row, you get dissed even worse with lies like michael jordan wasn't there when he was there in 95.

that's real disrespect and god bless maxwell for telling the truth about our matchups.

Any person with any basketball intelligence knew that Bill Cartwright, Stacy King, and Horrace Grant can't stop Dream. The stats prove it.

"google it!"-vernon maxwell

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Can you blame him? What would you do if you were an opposing coach that had to face Olajuwon?

I always thought the saddest thing was when Seattle actually made it to the finals, they completely choked. They were super-human against Houston, then made us look like chumps by not even putting up a fight when they had the opportunity. Did they hit a single 3-point shot in that entire series?

That said, I became a fan of those old Seattle teams after seeing them kill us so many times... doctors refer to it as Stockholm Syndrome.

16. Doctor Robert

I see comments from journalist about Houston fans being the most "sensitive" group in the NBA regarding all this Harden/Howard/Villain bulls***.

Well... this is why. All Rockets fans that are 35 years old or more have a paranoia complex. And it isn't paranoia if everyone is out to get you. I could make a long list of evidence.

The Rockets just need to win more championships, and all these old conversation topics will melt away. I truly feel like Les Alexander is a fantastic owner, and the Rockets are absolutely one of the best managed teams in all of professional sports. I hope we all get to enjoy being on top again soon.

17. Doctor Robert

Great job Clutch! Nostalgia is fun, and that interview was very satisfying.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh but we DID get the cover. Look very closely - above the gigantic picture of the soccer player and next to the part about going fishing with Ted Williams....

[​IMG]

I still remember my dad calling and cancelling his subscription the same day that POS issue came in the mail.

I was never more proud of my father than that very moment.....

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutch city 101

20. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

Thank you so much. This meant so much to me and I echo what everyone says. He was my favorite to watch and loved his fighting attitude.

You're the best CLUTCH!!!!