1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oklahoma shuts down SAE due to racists chants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

While I think it is harsh, this would happen in the workplace as well. This stuff isn't tolerated.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The case of SAE is not a free speech issue... more than likely at least... there are prior court cases establishing this as hate speech.

3. Classic

Classic Member

Big Brother always watching.

People need to start learning from some of these idiots as they're burned at the stake.

Too much transparency and accountability with video phones and social media.

Just wow.

And, i'm getting the impression that lil chant wasn't exclusive to just that campus... RiP SAE

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Like most Uni's, there is a code of conduct all students must abide by. Everyone signs on knowing the consequences. If i'm not mistaken, these rules have been upheld by the courts.

5. percicles

Second one, Levi Pettit, is also from Dallas. What are the odds? Shocked i tell you.

His mommy & daddy issued an apology for him.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Bigotry, stereotypes and racist ideologies often learned among family members...Its unfortunately plagues every culture and every race. Because the kids acted a certain way, his parents are probably put on full blast...even among their community...I can see why they would apologize on his behalf. This kids will forever be brandished as what they are...we just were fortunate that it was recorded and went viral. Cause we all know that this ish happens in other fraternities/sororities throughout the nation.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This was not big brother. This was your neighbor. Or in this case, your brother.

This is cultural, systemic racism passed off as "tradition".

You bet your @ss this happens at a LOT of other places.

8. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

Is it a normal thing for Dallas kids to go to Oklahoma? Even if the kid is from a rich family, there's no point in paying out-of-state tuition to go to freaking OU.

9. percicles

Kids north of DFW pay instate tuition, as it's considered an outhouse of Oklahoma.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Mission Statement by SAE

Each entity of Sigma Alpha Epsilon operates under its own mission, and each board of directors maintains that mission through a vision or plan.
    The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in our creed, "The True Gentleman."
    The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.
    - John Walter Wayland​

Mission Statement of OU:
    The mission of the University of Oklahoma is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to the state and society.​

OU is completely justified for the expulsion of these students and for the banishment of the fraternity. The university and organizations' image has taken irreparable damage (when a top football recruit de-commits...people are going to get pissed off). These students became media and financial liability for the university and her brand.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I graduated for high school in DFW and Oklahoma was a top three school for my class. Huge OU base in DFW. It is basically Oklahoma.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Racism at universities is every bit as bad in colleges in the Mid West and other spots of the country... If not worse.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Why do white folks resent black folks... Is it because of the Jim Crow tactics that black people came up with and use on them.

Freedom of speech doesn't win games dude. You think OU would be a big time player in football and basketball with just white players... They lost a top notch recruit because of that and could possibly lose more.

Kicking that kid out of school was a financial decision. If they would have been singing about Mexicans, Asians, Muslims, Jewish, etc he would probably still be there because of his right to freedom of speech.

If Riley Cooper's life wasn't ruined... I'm sure the kid will be fine.

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's not what happened though. I'm not saying OU is wrong, but there is a difference between what happened and how you're describing it.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Not in my experience going to college in Massachusetts. I'm not stating that it is non existent but it's relatively benign compared to my experience being raised in Texas and being stationed in North Carolina.

Ironically though my school did make headlines recently when they banned all Iranian nationals from pursuing graduate level engineering degrees related to nuclear energy.

#115 fchowd0311, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

some of the Vanderbilt guys were just suspended and then transferred. After raping a girl.

Lesson, racist chant is worse than rape.

17. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Or people could, you know, not be racist.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wouldn't those Vanderbilt guys be prosecuted in a criminal court also?

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

yes, while waiting for trial some were suspended for a while. The guys found guilty were expelled a few months before trial and about a year after a rape.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The real lesson is don't get caught on tape. It's the Ray Rice effect.