1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That New Orleans pick is starting to look good.... (FINAL: Will be 18th pick)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 21, 2015.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

He jumped from obscure to possible lottery. Not even Klay had that kind of jump in his first year of college ball. Booker will be a very nice player and would love it if the Rockets can draft and let him develop in the DLeague. Good shooting is an absolute necessity when playing along side James Harden. I am sure the Rockets will address that need this offseason, while maintaining defensive prowess.

2. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

It will be interesting to see how it turns out - obviously it all depends on what happens in the playoffs and the taste that's left in the players mouths. I personally think brewer stays -seems like a humble cat that is just looking for a place where he can be an important piece and be on a winner; no better place than here. Jsmoove on the other hand is clearly a rental and I think all parties involved know that; he came here to bring back a positive image for himself and Houston was able to provide that for him and get a really good rental on the cheap. Ariza's on the fence for me but I don't thin he's going anywhere next year. That'll influence what morey does w/ those picks. Especially the NO pick. Like it's been said that 2nd round pick is gold to morey

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Not entirely true.

When comparing the difference between the NO pick and the NYK pick you have to take into consideration the contract situation. You could draft a player that just saw the kj Mcdaniels situation of taking only a 1 year contract in the hope of a sooner pay day compared to a lottery pick that you know what his contract is for the next 4 years no matter what or 5 if you count the QO he could take before becoming unrestricted like what Monroe did.

So I still beleive the NO pick has tons more upside IMO

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Smith and Brewer are playing themselves into nice new contracts the Rockets wont be able to afford since they will pretty close to the cap, and the MLE probably wont cut it, and the MLE will most likely be used on retaining McDaniels one would think.

I can see one out of the three being brought back, but I'm just not entirely sure which one of those that is just yet.

But all three, or even the two of Smith & Brewer.... that's a stretch to see happening. They'd have to win it all or at least go to the WCF in order for everyone to sacrifice to come back.

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if PG, Jones or Grant or Dunn....if C, no idea who would fall 14th or 15th

6. dobro1229

In alot of these mock drafts I really see these guys trying to put a guard slotted in at 14 with the Rockets in mind. I think its natural for these guys to see a huge need there and move guys around based on that.

I see they move up Jerian Grant into #14 recently who is a big 6'5" PG. Id be lieing if I told you I've watched a ton of his games, but it doesn't seem to be a BPA at that spot. Not sure though.

If Morey thinks the bench is going to get depleted I wouldn't be shocked to see him move back, and maybe pick up an extra 1st rounder later in the draft. That will give him 3 chances at getting at least one good player, and maybe 2 at positions of need.

Cause at this point, I don't know if Morey is really swinging for the fences with a Royce White type of pick. I think he's probably projecting guys that could actually play for this team in a year or sooner.

7. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

For sure - I agree with you whole heartedly. It'll be pretty much impossible to keep all three. I just think that with brewer the wildcard is mchale. I know I know how can anyone praise mchale on CF:grin: But from afar it seems like brewer really likes playing for him and likes it here. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic because its been a long time since we had a microwave type guy on the rockets and brewer is perfect for us. Guess we'll wait and see...

8. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

You make a good point... Didn't we have a problem with the Carl Landry pick? Which ironically would be pretty much in the same spot in the draft

9. dobro1229

Yeah I hear ya, but I wouldn't bank on anyone taking less money just to stay in a good situation. Its likely Brewer, and Smith's last chance at a big payday. Even though Smith is still getting paid by Detroit, its still a business where you maximize what you can get while you can get it.

If I had to pick one though I think I'd pick McDaniels, but its tough not to go with Mr. energy Corey Brewer. Its going to be one interesting offseason, but we still have a good chance to go deep this season so we shall have to put this on the backburner for now.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I still see them possibly moving the Nola pick no matter your reasoning and how many rookie lottery picks can actually get minutes on a championship contending team? The Knicks 2nd round pick is the one that intrigues me especially if this becomes a deep draft, there will be some real bargains that fall out of the first round for sure.

11. dobro1229

"Moving the NOLA pick no matter your reasoning"

That sentence and sentiment from Rox fans really boggles my mind. I have no idea what that means.

Will the pick, if used to draft a player, then destroy the franchise or something? Is it a chariot that turns into a pumpkin if not moved before it results in a real actual live player?

I understand the sentiment of shopping the pick for an actual veteran player IF there is one available that actually helps more than a traditional lottery talent long term, but tell me who the Rockets are getting with that pick in a trade, and why they make that move?

Just because Rockets fans had dreams of the NOLA pick being traded for the next James Harden doesn't mean that if that didn't happen, the next best option might actually be to then use the pick for its actual intention in the first place... which is to draft lottery level talent for the future.

The absolute worst GM mindset you can have is to say "We HAVE TO move our picks now to win now". If the deals aren't there, DON'T MOVE THE PICK just because you have an itchy trigger finger. When you get set in that mind frame you often end up making a dumb move that like trading for Bargnani or a shell of a former all star like Kevin Garnett.

I think at the end of the day, you probably agree with me to not move it for a player just for the sake of moving it based on your post history, but I would just want someone like yourself to explain to me first what you are moving it for. Because I see this statement far too much to not make me question where the heck we are headed as a transaction thirsty fanbase.

#231 dobro1229, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  12. basketballholic

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets do favor larger guards. McHale strongly believes that a big backcourt makes a difference down the stretch in games, in playoff series and defensively when switches are made. Morey has said something similar in the past.

Does that mean that the Rockets would pass on someone like Chris Paul? No, but it means that you better be damn good if you are a small guard.

15. basketballholic

agreed. However, Paul is an expert defender even at his size. Always shades the shooting hand of the opposing point. And positions himself great in the pick-and-roll. He is truly unique in being so small and being so effective defensively and this is why he's probably the best small man of all-time. Because he's so good defensively to go along with being one of the top offensive points of all time.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Paul is a very good defensive point guard, and is one of the top 3-4 point guards in NBA history. However, even the Clippers have issues with size in their backcourt come crunch time.

17. alethios

alethios Member

That's exactly what NYK is doing right now. They're dangling their 1st round pick, which could be a #1, for veteran players. I think they see the writing on the wall for how long Melo has before he's done producing at the level he's known for.

18. basketballholic

Yes...they do.

coughkrisdunncough

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Dobro do you actually see the rockets paying close to $1.7 million to a rookie that isn't a Myles Turner or some can't miss kid at #14 while currently chasing a championship? A lot will depend on what the #14 pick falls under in the rockets tier system ect. and how deep the lottery is for me to want take a flyer on a player at that spot especially when I'm sitting on potentially the first pick out of the first round and another 2nd rounder not to far away from that. Its far to early to tell how strong this draft will be IMO since were just in March. I'm not about moving the pick just to make a move (no itchy trigger finger here), but if I had to "guess" as to what Morey would do with it is either attempt to move up (like he always he always does) or move out of the pick for a future pick or solid rotational veteran. That's just would I think and not saying Morey will do that.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Rockets are paying Papanikolau 4.8 million, Clint Capela 1.2 million and Nick Johnson 500k. All of those guys are sitting on the bench right now as the Rockets chase a championship championship. I think Morey views developing players on rookie contracts absolutely essential to building a championship team. Trading for KJ McDaniels is one strong indicator of this, but I've seen him talk about how important guys on rookie contracts are to build a championship roster before too. I just can't find the source of that.

I think the Rockets will be more than happy to pay somebody 1.7 million per year if they think they can be a key piece to a championship team in a year to two. And p.s. Sam Cassell was a key piece to our first championship team as a rookie. And he wasn't drafted high.