1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this a foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Mar 5, 2015.

?

Is this a foul?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2015.
  1. Yes, always

42 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes, but only because I'm What

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. No, never

48 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. No, because I'm a Rockets fan

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. joesr

joesr Member

Itsa foul, just not on this site

2. reliableman

reliableman Member

TJones fouled him...after the travel. Neither was called so i'm gonna sop up the spilled milk rather than crying about it.

3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

YES!!!!

This is not as blatant as slapping down and the ball coming loose as a result.

Had Gasol missed this shot or it came up short I would have expected a foul then.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

with 82 games in a season, there's always something the refs are doing to keep a team down.

If they really wanted to give the game to cleveland, then they would have thrown Harden out. That was a perfect opportunity for that, but they didn't. Certainly doesn't sound like they tried very hard.

the atl game was due to us not having a closer and the Hawks increasing their defense play/effort.

So you want refs to make calls based on a make or miss and not on whether it's actually a foul or not? That's the problem, not the solution.

#44 RV6, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

#45 Aleron, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

with the ref right in front:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UBd51P533FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With 2 refs looking on

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovzx9UPvhH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Refs just dont like calling fouls in the closing seconds of close games.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You think the NBA is really going to break down everything? That's probably why they only are reviewing the last 2 mins. If they reviewed the whole game, we'd see a lot more fouls that couldn't realistically be called, unless several players fouled out.

There's clear and visual evidence of contact on Gasol's release. Can't dispute that. It's a foul by definition. However, Grizz still won, so that side is happy. And the other side, Houston, doesn't really benefit from a call, and are super-focused on Harden's non call.

8. Aleron

Have you read their reviews, of course they break down everything (it's just they're only publically releasing the last 2 minutes + OT of close games), but it typically requires contact before its added to their report.

Saying its a foul by definition really only implies you don't know what the definition of a foul is, fortunately the nba's officiating review team does.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant they're not releasing more than 2 mins.

So the definition of a shooting foul doesn't fit a player getting hit on the forearm, as they are releasing the ball?

10. Aleron

There are only 4 fouls in basketball, block, charge, hold and push.

There is contact all the time in basketball games, it's not considered relevant unless the contact somehow impedes the progress, for example if you hit a player on the arm as he's shooting, if it prevents his shooting motion, that's "by definition" a blocking foul.

Gasol's (unorthodox) shooting motion and follow through wasn't in any way impeded, so what's the foul for?

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Yes it's foul, no not a travel. Gasol is gathering on that first "step". the other 2 steps are considered his 1,2 steps. the gather step is called a 0 step. I watched and learned that from "Making the Call"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sqyN6cyjbEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think you're being extremely technical to make a case against this being a foul. We both know that it's a commonly called foul in the league, and has been, for years. Really as long as i can remember. If it has to prevent shooting motion, how do and ones happen with perfect perfect form?

If you want to argue that the refs call it wrong, then I guess that's true. Anyone that's played basketball enough knows it doesn't take much to affect your release on that kind of contact. i'm guessing that's why the refs tend to call it, even if it doesn't fit the literal definition.

13. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I don't WANT them to, but this is how they have been calling it and I would be OK with it.

But in the context on the two calls in THIS game, it's comparing apples to oranges. That other foul was BLATANT. This call could have been a judgement call at best.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That goes back to my point though...I don't WANT them to let things go in the final seconds of a close game, but that's how they usually call it, so i'd expect people to just deal with it. It happens to every team.

I wish someone would have told Jones to go for the strip too. I'm sure they wouldn't have called it, especially after missing the Harden call...it would have been their typical make up no-call.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Most people misunderstand this rule, and its application seems to vary. Some guys get called just for the gather. Admittedly I don't even understand it.

16. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Unfortunately as much as TJones has progressed this season, I go back to his defending the inbound play in game 6 last year to say his crunch time D still has a ways to go.

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Those are all fouls based on the rule book, but because of the physical nature of the NBA games, it's all up to the refs to make the decision on the spot.

They didn't call this foul, neither called the Harden foul, so there you have it.

18. waisoserious

waisoserious Member

its a foul yes. rookie mistake by harden. but refs usually dont call those at the end of the 4th

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

offensive foul.