1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden MVP or Playoff Success?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Mar 4, 2015.

?

How do you feel about the MVP v Playoff Success argument?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2015.
  1. I root for both to happen and see no conflict

77.4%
  2. I only root for team success, rooting for an MVP is [insert negative thought here]

14.6%
  3. I root for MVP only, don't care about playoff success

1.5%
  4. I abstain, courteously.

6.6%
  1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would love for both to come to fruition.

Go Harden!

Go Houston!

:cool:

2. SemisolidSnake

The reason this continues to come up is because NOBODY, including and especially the people that vote on it, know what the MVP award even stands for. Is somebody who carries their team more than anybody in the league the most valuable player? Is the best overall player the most valuable player? Is helping to bring your team to a high seed in the playoffs considered valuable? NOBODY knows. This is why they should abolish the award as it now stands and replace it with definable awards like Best Player and Most Valuable Player To His Team. Let the Final's MVP determine who on the best team was the best player.

That said, I want Harden to win the MVP award, because in my observations, he's the best player in the league AND the most valuable to his team. He's also not the league princess, so him winning it is much harder, and there's no guarantee that he gets another chance. The Rockets probably won't win the Finals this year, although I'd love that. But for James to play at an even higher level next year and be even better than the glut of talent in the league and not have princess favor is a lot to ask, so I hope more anything that he wins it this year.

It's like J.J. Watt losing his deserved MVP trophy this year. How much more can you possibly expect from either of those guys than what they did this past year? This isn't Hollywood where the committee can go for decades before they award Best Director to someone for the wrong film in their career. Steph Curry fans are having the inverted conversation. Is Curry, a legitimately excellent player, less valuable to his team because he has a better team and better coaching? The award is stupid the way it's handled, but it holds perpetual gravitas, so I hope Harden wins it.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Mostly agree. Just pointing out Watt probably wins if Texans had made the playoffs.

4. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I love harden and i want him recognized but seriously I am rockets fan, i support the franchise not the players. let the dick riding be for bandwagoner kobe style fans

5. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

my biggest fear is that the damn warriors will get both

6. krouchchocolate

Rather have playoff success b/c I don't want harden to leave when his contract ends!

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how any Rockets fans would rather him get an MVP than playoff success.

I'd rather win 1 championship with 0 Harden MVP's than like 3 or 4 MVP's with no championships.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the year of Clutch City, Hakeem was the MVP AND THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR

but what I saw was more than that, I saw leadership. Mario Elie said when they were down to the Knicks, Dream was calm and it made him calm.

Also when Dream won the MVP, he brought his teammates out to celebrate with him.

That was what Dream was about.

If Harden is the true MVP, he shall lead us pretty far.

9. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

I trade mvp for a first round advance.

1 person likes this.
  10. HookemHorns1250

I don't know why I laughed when I read that....kudos.

I could care less about the MVP when it comes to playoff success. I'm sure James would say the same about wanting a ring more than the MVP.

11. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

if it's playoff success as in advancing 1 round, this could be a debate. There is NO debate when talking about winning a title vs MVP...

12. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

WTF kind of question is this? When has everyone tuned into LOF type of posters who care more about individual players glorry above team success? OP should be banned for even entertaining this completey rediculous and stupid question.

13. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I would take a sinlge playoff game win over a stupid meaningless individual award.

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Harden winning the MVP would be cool. The Rockets winning the NBA title would be ******lly *** amazingly awesome. The Rockets going to the finals would be insanely awesome. The Rockets going to the conference finals would be great/super cool.

In short; the MVP is a nice-to-have but no biggie if he doesn't get it. A long playoff run is what I'm thirsty for.

Azim da Dream

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Option #1! Kudos for making this a public poll. :)-

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think posters who respond to threads without actually reading and comprehending the question being posed should be banned.

That you are spelling impaired only makes you more annoying.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't read through the responses yet, but...

I went with "I abstain, courteously. "

On the one hand, of course I want Harden to win MVP and us to win the title. On the other hand... maybe Harden will be a little hungrier if he doesn't win MVP, which will give us a better shot at winning a title? That's my only hangup. Maybe it's a stupid question but it's one that's crossed my stupid mind.

I do not view it as necessarily a one or the other scenario. I just wonder if getting one (MVP) makes us less likely to get the other (title). I don't know, but I wonder. And, if I could only choose one, I - like every other Rockets fan - would prefer a title.

18. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Still a stupid question and thread.

19. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You have posters who want us to lose to atlanta to help his mvp chances. You have posters who want us to get second NOT because of matchups but in order to help his mvp chances. Alot of LOF type of posters here.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You don't even know what the question is based on your replies so I'll take your criticism for what it is; nothing of substance.