1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trouble on the interstate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I understand your frustration with driving in Houston, but let's not hurl racial insults around.

2. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

To the OP, you did the right thing calling in. I'm surprised they so strongly urged you to stay close.

My drive home is usually during the peak of drunk driving time (2:00 AM) and I've called 911 on drivers at least four times through the years. I've seen many many drunk drivers so in order for me to call I have felt like people are in immediate danger. Your story sounds like that to me. I remember a driver being similar in that in addition to swerving they were erratic with their speed slowing down to 15 MPH on the interstate.

Whenever I've called 911 they've advised me to stay a safe distance behind and give description and location/direction. Not to follow though. The bad thing is that I didn't get a sense that they would do much about it unless there was a cop really close by. I'm glad that you were able to get the driver off of your tail because that sounds very dangerous and scary.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Because that is what cars in the right lane should do. I know some laws say different, but forget those laws. Just slow down or speed up if the vehicle is signaling to enter before the dashes, or move to the next lane to the left and pass. I do this if people are trying to enter at freeway speeds.

4. what

what Member

In my opinion, both parties need to be aware and help each other. More times than not though the guy merging into traffic NEVER slows down or speeds up to avoid a timing issue.

That's what I don't get about people in texas. They are always ASSUMING what the other guy SHOULD be doing, instead of driving defensively. It makes absolute no sense.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

WORLD STAR

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Four Ways? DP-DA?

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You're the reason there's traffic! I mean, think about it! There are people a mile behind you trying to pass slow moving traffic in the middle and right lanes, but they can't do so because you're sitting there going 65 in the passing lane. Its no wonder people tailgate you and honk. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is. You are an impediment to the flow of traffic. If you really think about the traffic problem, widening highways can only increase road volume incrementally. The best way to increase the available volume of road to decrease traffic is to remove impediments to traffic. That means, forcing drivers like you to speed up and move out of the way. It isn't a perfect solution, because even if other drivers weren't impediments to each other, you start to become limited by the safe speed a driver can navigate certain parts of the road at (e.g. a hill or sharp turn forces there to be an impediment to traffic).

1 person likes this.
  8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They should show this video in driver's education! Or the government needs to pay for trips to Europe (and country) and watch how they drive there. It's where I got some of my habits from:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PgzPH8S81qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Don't snitch.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

eddie always getting snubbed :(

1 person likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

All of you need to take defensive driving courses and follow it.

You can avoid 90% of accidents by being aware of idiot drivers on the roads. Always be vigilant and anticipate mistakes and have a way out. The other 10% is fate.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good on you for calling the cops, but that's probably where I would have ended it. That's really all you can do. Can't do their jobs for them. I'm not risking my life in a situation like that. Too many people counting on me to risk my life in a road-rage incident.

Which brings me to my next point.

If someone wants to pass you, let them pass you. It's not like it's an insult to your family or anything. Who the hell cares if someone wants to drive faster than you? Too many people take stupid **** like that personally and that's what leads to road-rage.

If someone cuts me off, I'm just going to roll my eyes and move on with my life. I'm not going to chase him down, flip him off, etc. I just don't get that.

RELAX, people. Eat more fiber. Have more sex. Switch to decaf. Whatever you have to do to calm down while you drive.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We called the cops on someone on the Beltway last month. No one needs to die because we were too scared to call the police.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Amen.

Homey don't play that.

I'm all for having a good time, and not ratting people out, but the second you start screwing with other lives, especially in 10 degree weather, I'll draw the line.

15. cebu

cebu Member