1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Ideology on... 3 Point Shooting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 21, 2015.

?

Who's to blame for our 3 point ideology system not really performing upto par?

1. Les Alexander

4.1%
  2. Daryl Morey

69.2%
  3. Kevin McHale

26.7%
  1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Honestly, this teams ideology and system of belief is farfetched and just for show. How do we not have real outside shooters on a team that emphasizes outside shooting?! We should have a player like Korver or Ray Allen on our team... but all we have are mediocre shooters surrounding Harden who can't shoot, let alone dribble the ball.

I'm a ride and die Rockets fan and I'll always love my Rockets, but I've been sooooo heart broken!

How long do you think this system will continue for the Rockets of shooting so many 3's but not having quality players to perform them?

Also.... is it McHales fault, Morey's fault or Les's fault?

:(

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This ideology won't work because we aren't the best 3 point shooting team in the league.

this is probably why Golden State owns us, what we're going to have a 3 point shooting contest every time we play?

I miss Rick Adelman and his motion offense

The Ruler Ruled

3. Mr. Dominant

Well said Tinman, well said. I really miss Rick too. That motion offense was smooth. But not only that, he was one hell of a coach.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yup.

And finally everybody else has woken up.

5. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Believe me, if this team had real 3pt shooters, we would win the west easily. Harden is getting so much attention.... if we can have shooters who can at least half ass decently hit open 3s, we would win 60 games.

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

top 4 team, it has worked but people here want championships before they start to believe in the system

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

In the end, McHale is responsible because he designs the game plan and should hold players accountable. You have to adapt to your personnel and a good coach will make plays to put guys in spots where they can be successful. Do you think it's a coincidence Ariza is not shooting that well? Morey is partly responsible since he refuses to bring in great shooters.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Well this is the problem. They emphasize shooting with subpar shooters. It's like emphasizing post ups with Dwight. If you rely on something that works less than it doesn't work, you'll never have a reliable offense.

Morey needs to let go of the elusive 3rd star fantasy and focus more on complementary pieces for Harden that actually fit the style of play he wants the team to run.

9. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Imagine Rick Adelman with this squad? Geez.

10. Mr. Dominant

I think we'd be better than Kerr's Warriors right now. And that says a lot.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Uhmm, how about the shooters? You guys think Adelman would suddenly transform them into Steph Curry? Our guys are getting open looks and clanking them, not McHale's fault.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rick the Ruler was going to semi retire eventually. He is not the youngest and with his wife's health not being very good.

Like we dig out players we should find the next generation of Jacksons, Karls, Adelmans, Rudy Ts.....

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No way, our roster is flawed.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Rockets playbook: Keep shooting those 3s, eventually they'll fall.

As long as we set the record for most 3s taken in a season, never mind how many we convert.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree going for layups and 3pt and avoiding the long 2. But i want them to get more shots closer to the basket, post and drives from other players than harden. So i agree with the ideology not the execution.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Not only that, we keep producing these 3pt shooters on our Dleague team that we keep trading away.

Huh? We don't believe in the players we produce, or in the system that produced them?

Meanwhile James Johnson was called up by MEM and had a productive stint in the NBA. 3pt shooting Earl Clark is playing in China.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Problem is when opponent has a shotblocker like Tyson or Aminu, no one wants to/can drive. Even Harden was blocked. So we have to outrun them or hit those 3s.

Btw, even our FT shooting is a problem, right?

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Tyson and aminu? Please they should not be a problem. Sure they might block a couple of shots. But not enough to warrant not going inside anymore.

If you mentioned ibaka or dj you might have a point. But still you should keep goin to the basket.

19. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The national high school league champion probably has a more sophisticated offensive plan than we do.

DALLAS – The Rockets fired away with the belief that eventually, some of the good, open looks that they took would fall. Eventually, they were right for long enough to make a run from a 20-point deficit to within five in the fourth quarter while the Mavericks were briefly looking the other way.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2015/02/rockets-rally-falls-short-in-dallas/#27968101=0

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Issue with relying on the three so much is there is a higher probability for bad games because it's a more difficult shot. When you're off you're off. Fact still remains though is that it's more efficient, and a 33% 3-point shooter is the equivalent of shooting 50% percent from 2.