1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle: Ewing hopes to make mark as assistant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 15, 2003.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

July 14, 2003, 11:40PM

Known for his playing ability, Ewing hopes to make mark as Rockets assistant
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- The biggest and perhaps best player at the Summer Pro League was not issued a uniform, will not play and for that matter, is no longer a player.

But to the fans cheering his name, such details don't matter. As the Rockets take the court at Long Beach State's Pyramid, the reaction to the sight of Malick Badiane is somehow restrained. The cheers are for Patrick Ewing.

Fans shout for him just to turn in their direction. Programs and scraps of paper are pushed in his direction for autographs. Before and after games, a few fans get close enough to ask him to pose for pictures.

Then Ewing returns to his new life as the Yao Ming of coaches.

In his second year as a NBA assistant, and first weeks with the Rockets, Ewing is, like Yao, considered loaded with potential, but very much a work in progress still learning his craft.

That craft now is coaching. But Ewing became a Rockets assistant under Jeff Van Gundy not as a way to extend at least a part of his playing days but to move on to his next career.

"The thing about Pat, even at the end of his career, he never lost the love, the passion for being in the gym, being in the weight room, or the travel," said Rockets assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, a Knicks assistant under Van Gundy when Ewing played there. "He loves all the aspects. We found out he loves to watch film. He loves the teaching.

"Patrick is very prideful. If he is going to do it, he'll do it very well. When Pat commits to something, he commits."

Ewing's explanation of his interest in coaching is not nearly as inspiring.

"I have to do something. I just can't sit at home or play golf 24/7," the 40-year-old Ewing said. "It's great to wake up and have something to do and still be around the game and do something I love."

After one season with the Wizards, Ewing saw enough of the profession to consider it more than a way to kill time or a reason to hang around locker rooms and arenas. Though far more demanding than he saw as a player, coaching seemed to suit him.

"I think he's a good fit with the rest of the guys," Van Gundy said. "We have a very experienced staff. I think he's a great addition. I don't want to limit him to being there for Yao Ming or just big guys. We think he can help in a number of ways and help all players. I just think he has every component it takes to be a successful coach, and his knowledge will grow as his experience does.

"Leadership is all about doing the right thing all the time. He would do the right thing. Come early, stay late, do more than what was required, study, listen, be coachable. Those people who do right are leaders. It's not about speeches. It's about setting an example that people follow."

Ewing always had been a powerful leader. Players often answered questions with "I'll check with Patrick." He never won the NBA championship, losing to the Rockets in 1994 and to the Spurs when he was limited by injuries in 1999. But he remains the face of the Knicks of his time.

When Van Gundy refers to Ewing's tools as a young coach, his ability to relate to and lead players is the obvious starting point.

"I've always been a leader," Ewing said. "I think I've led throughout my career in New York. I've always been good with people. I know how to relate to people. I know there's a time to curse them out and a time to show that you love them.

"I think people respect what I bring to the table. I've been very professional. I've worked very hard to get where I'm going, and I think people see that. This is my second year doing it. It's still a learning experience. They're teaching me now how to do the scouting reports, how to get a game plan done. I know the people part, the practice part, communicating what needs to be done. I'm learning the other aspects of it."

Ewing considered joining Michael Jordan in Milwaukee had Jordan been able to purchase the Bucks. He said he had an offer to remain in Washington but wanted to leave out of loyalty to Jordan after Jordan was dumped as a Wizards executive when he retired as a Wizards player.

"I'm happy in Houston. I'm happy with Jeff," Ewing said. "Jeff's a great guy. He's a great coach. I'm looking forward to working for him.

"I thought it was a great opportunity. Things didn't work out in Washington with Michael and the way things went down. Even though they asked me to stay, I have a lot of loyalty to Michael. I thought it was wrong. Jeff offered me a position, and I thought it was a great opportunity not only to work with Jeff, but to work with a big guy like Yao Ming."

Ewing earned praise for his work with Wizards center Brendan Haywood, physically testing Haywood in the low blocks during practices more than the rules allow during games. He has worked closely this month with Badiane, the Rockets' second-round pick, and presumably will offer Yao a tutor with a résumé as a future Hall of Famer and one of the top centers of his time.

"Obviously his playing career has lent itself to having great experience," Thibodeau said. "Being in New York for so long, he understands the system very well from a player's perspective and now he's seeing the coaches' side. We know he's a great worker. Transferring that work to coaching, he will be very successful."

For now, he is cheered for what he has done rather than will do. But to Ewing, the key to success has not changed.

"That was the biggest adjustment, to the time you have to put in as a coach," Ewing said. "But work is not something I was unaccustomed to. I put in a lot of time to get where I was in the NBA. I didn't see it as being an obstacle. I just got used to it after two weeks.

"We work hard. There is a lot of time spent doing the scouting reports and watching film. There's nothing wrong with working hard. I think people respect that. Even though I'm going on to another phase of life, I think a lot of people still respect and admire what I brought to the table."
    Link

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

is it me or does it seem like the rockets have really brought in a good coaching staff

3. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No because they are Knick Yankees and not good ole Texans with Rocket ties. :D

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Damn those Ny'ers know how to talk........:D

5. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Music to my ears: ...worked closely with Ba...

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

what's up with the "ba" stuff? what... are the a/v people going to play a certain kid rock song whenever "ba" makes a basket now? from the looks of things in the summer league games, he won't be playing often.

anyway, i'm glad to hear that ewing is staying in shape. it's good that the guy who tutors yao will actually be able to practice with him one on one. maybe yao won't be such a wuss anymore by laying up the ball while -.035 inches from the basket. :rolleyes:

7. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

Maybe the rockets can ship him off to china, so he can play with Yao..

8. SLA

SLA Member

I was looking at the wonderful multimedia features at Clutchcity.net and last season in the Summer League, Maurice Taylor was wearing a Patrick Ewing New York Knicks jersey....pretty insignificant, but at least he was wearing his jersey! He doesn't hate him at least.

I hope Ewing makes a mark as an assistant.

YOU HAVE GOT TO HELP EDDIE. And you can teach Badiane. And I expect Yao to be more polished and a big force!

9. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

I believe that Ewing will have a possitive effect on the Rockets.

:D :D :D :D :D

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it is just you. :D

Seriously, I don't see how this staff is better than the last one. It is certainly different, which might be what we need. But, I don't see how it is better. Certainly, it is a less experienced staff.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If they are Jeff Van Gundy's assistants, they're probably workaholics which is a good sign. Also, the fact they are detail oriented is encouraging.

I can't imagine the new staff would accept Eddie Griffin standing there launching 3's.