1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Harden a PG repellant??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ranny, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Ranny

Ranny Member

The trade deadline just passed and we missed all of the “possible” star PGs available (more like borderline stars), like Knight, Lawson, Dragic, Thomas etc.

I am wondering if Harden being the team’s de facto PG, primary ball handler, and top of that having an MVP season scared away all (or some) of these guys from committing long term to Houston. I truly think that at least on Dragic’s case Harden’s role on our team was one of the main reasons why he wouldn’t want to come here. It is almost certain that Dragic would have had to surrender the ball to Harden at least 70% of the time and he was already discontent of sharing the ball in Phoenix, so having to come here and giving the ball to a guy that is not even a real PG might not have been that interesting for him.

If you think about it in the current scenario there aren’t many PGs in the league who could come to Houston and immediately take the ball away from Harden for good. It would take a “true superstar” PG like Westbrook, Curry or Paul to actually take away the ball from Harden, and none of the guys dealt today are “true superstars”, they are merely good players but not on Harden’s league, therefore I believe that most (or all) of them would have had to come to Houston to play Beverley’s role of watching while Harden does all the offensive work. So could Harden’s role and present actually be discouraging for good PG’s to come here?

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I can't even.

3. mockster

mockster Member

Teams make the trades not the players. For the most part teams don't care how ideal a players situation will be. Free agency that's a diffrent story

4. thekad

thekad Member

Knight is a RFA, Lawson and Thomas already have long contracts, and Dragic didn't mind playing with Kobe or Melo.

And this is your theory?

No.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden doesn't let good PG's eat with him.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

The intellectual level of the board is getting alarming. I thought it was a LOF thing, but I think the LOF's were masking a deeper problem. . . .

7. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Harden played off-the ball on the olympic team and led the team in scoring... thats a myth

the truth is beverley is some d-league scrub who gets by on just toughness... he really has no nba talent( and this is who we have put in the backcourt with the best rockets player since dream)

we need a pg... canaan played well next to harden, he seemed to attack the basket and knock down shots, although he didnt have the ball in his hands much....

and a lot of this is just the simple fact that mchale is NOT a good coach, he puts too much on the table for harden, he doesnt trust any other ball handler which eventually wears harden down..

if we could somehow pry cj mccollom from portland away the blazers, he would be perfect next to harden... thats if mcfail would play him

8. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

YES!!! And he should be. Do you want to create a Phoenix Suns situation. Harden NEEDS THE BALL IN HIS HANDS. You need a point guard that is pass first on this team. All the points guards traded were mainly shoot first guys that require the ball in their hands to play the position. I am certain that the Rockets would have looked a Lawson had he been available because he is a pass first PG. But they picked up an old vet that can handle spot duties and be a spot up 3pt shooter. They did that without giving up anything of consequence. Good move! I do not want the MVP of the league to have to change how we are playing. Add pieces and wait for the right player... the guys that moved around did so for a reason.

9. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The reason that Harden has the ball so much is because the Rockets don't have anyone else who can create offense. If the Rockets had a good playmaker (don't bring up Lin, please), Harden wouldn't have the ball nearly as much. I think that Dragic would have been a really good fit here and he would have had the ball plenty.

Now...at the end of the game, Harden will have the ball. He'd have the ball no matter who was PG though. That shouldn't be a sticking point for anyone.

Dragic really came off as a whiny little b!tch this week.

I am glad the Rockets didn't trade DMo, though. I'd like to have a better PG, but not if it cost DMo.

10. The Veeg

And this is EXACTLY why it would have been a bad situation. Let that ass go to Miami. Go east brother. He would have been unhappy having to pass to Harden and let him dictate the offense. Pass first point guard! That's what they are looking for. A true PG that can shoot the three.

Beverly isn't the best. Priggs is not the best. They will eventually find the guy but right now don't trade important assets if the guy is not out there.

11. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

thats a myth, harden can play off-the ball... he did it in game 6 of the playoffs last year againist the blazers...

12. pass_to_Hakeem

I think it played a HUGE ROLE but every pg mentioned wound of wanted the ball in their hands more than 30% of the time and NO that wouldn't of worked for Harden. I'm glad, I want the ball in his hands 70-80% of the time and I'm fine with that!

13. pippsux

pippsux Member

Rubbish, pure rubbish. Please tell me which pg with pass first tendencies who wouldnt like to dish to 3point shooters and oh the mvp and leagues leading scorer.
    Dragic is a point guard who wants to be a 2 guard.....there would have been a log jam.

14. 34to11

34to11 Member

The LOF thing sent the existing sheep into a mental frenzy from which they have yet to recover.
    They are left desperately reaching for something...anything...to complain about.

15. The Veeg

Listen, Harden CAN play off the ball. But his role is not that on this team. You can absolutely have a star point guard but you need a John Stockton, a Ty Lawson, a Jason Kidd, a -PLAYER WHO IS A PLAYMAKER AND CAN HIT A THREE NAME HERE- and you'll have the right guy to go next to Harden.

A) To get one of those PG's today, you would have had to trade an arm and a leg and it could cost this team in chemistry.
    B) They are all shoot first guys... except Priggs
    C) Wait... be patient. The team is good enough to win if they have more time to gel. Next year with that high draft pick and some room to move, they'll find the right fit... but it certainly was not the names traded today.

Believe me, I am not a fan of Pablo's. I threw up just a little in my mouth when I first saw the trade but it makes total sense. Guy is a low turnover, excellent veteran three point shooter. Good teammate. Perfect without giving up anything. The other trade is more exciting but keeping it to the PG, this was a quality move given the options. Exciting? Absolutely not! But quality.

1 person likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Don't know, but apparently Russel Westbrook was SG repellant.

17. i3artow i3aller

:rolleyes:

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/OPLptB1g9pd/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

18. alethios

alethios Member

I bet some of those traded PGs would have loved to play with Harden and have a solid chance for a ring, but it was out of their control.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if you know this but GENERAL MANAGERS make the trades during a TRADE DEADLINE, not the players.

Harden didn't scare off any players. Dragic didn't put Houston on his list for a wide variety of reasons, but Harden really isn't one of them. The team he is now headed to has a high volume SG, and a PF that both demand the ball in their hands.

However he is still their best player in a large market, and will get paid a max salary.

In Houston he would be the 3rd best player, and on some nights maybe the 4th best player if Josh Smith is truly the 6th man as far as usage goes.

If players are scared of coming to Houston because Harden and Howard are too good then I really don't want them on our team anyways. I want players who are totally ok with being not as much of a star as James Harden.

20. Ranny

Ranny Member

Yes, you are right probably in the other players scenarios their opinion didn’t matter that much, but in Dragic's case his unwillingness to stay here was likely a very big factor for us not to make a big play for him. Trading away too many players for a guy who will leave in a few months and that might be discontent with his role on the team does not make much sense does it? I dont think its unreasonable to think that maybe Dragic was not that exited to be Harden’s Robin, and it was a big factor for not getting him.