1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Nils

Nils Member

Agree 1000%. Dude is a very promising and skilled post player...he can shoot s little(same 3pt percentage as DMO), and hits his FTs(80%). Worth a second rounder(Knicks) and Pappa.

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I really wanna keep the pick b/c I feel like there is always that one guy who has tons of potential but falls to the 10-15 range. Examples Khawhi Leonard, Greek Freak, and Paul George.

3. knucklehead3321

Im with sort of with you...on this but there is no guarantee in the draft. I kinda would rather get a guy whos shown he can play. On the flip side this draft is deep in bigs and large 6'4 and up pgs which I feel we need with harden hes been getting banged up alot i fear it could case an injury if we dont get him some help soon.

Do you guys think Miami would trade whiteside for NO pick and filler? Would you guys do it? I might be crazy but ive fallen in love with his game.

4. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Double-posting this here, what do you think?

I think the suns would be better off with an impact player instead of a pick, if they want to stay afloat in the playoff race. Why not something like this:

HOU receives: Goran Dragic, Steve Novak, Miles Plumlee
    HOU trades: Jason Terry, Clint Capela, Joey Dorsey, big papa, NOP 1st rounder

PHX receives: Enes Kanter, Big papa
    PHX trades: Goran Dragic, future 2nd round pick

UTA receives: Jason Terry, Clint Capela, Joey Dorsey, NOP 1st rounder, future 2nd round pick
    UTA trades: Enes Kanter, Steve Novak

This way, UTA gives more time to Rudy Gobert and Favors, gets a 1st and second to rebuild with (+ apparently Kanter wants to be traded according to the jazz's local sportswriter in SLC). PHX gets another big, where they are sorely lacking (esp given Len's fragile ankles) even after the Wright trade, plus a young forward they can use in small-ball lineups, on a good deal. I'd say this is worth more to them right now than a future first. Houston gets a ball-handling guard, and improves its center rotation slightly (Plumlee is a little better than Dorsey, if anything because of his sheer size advantage).

5. knucklehead3321

PHX wont make the playoffs I just hope its OKC and not NO. I dont underatand the infatuation with plumlee (personally I think capela (or any of the bigs in the draft for that matter) has a higher ceiling and could give us anything plumlee can) id much rather kanter. I also think the trade could be restructured so we dont give up so much for basically dragic and plumlee who is a 4 and 4 guy currently... if it was mason plumlee id be all overv it.

6. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Dwight is only getting older, and James will eventually get hungry enough for a title to potentially leave in FA if we haven't at least made the finals. There's a fine balance between keeping assets for the sake of development, and making moves that immediately improve your team. Go too far, and you end up like the New York Knicks, totally absent of building blocks for the future. Don't go far enough, and you end up like Howard's Magic, forced in to a tough spot where you have to either trade your star to cash in, or watch him walk in FA. This team needs to be a legitimate contender for the next 3 years, and Capela, the player that could be had with the pick, and Kanter (because his issue is minutes, and he would get less here than in Utah).

Plumlee provides 6 fouls and some real size. It's not an infatuation - he's simply better than Capela, would be cool with 18mpg with the potential for more in games Dwight doesn't play, and gives us a nice mix of size, skill and energy in our big man rotation. I feel like this is a no-brainer - the only question mark is if Utah would be content with expiring contracts and a mid-1st round pick for Kanter. I imagine they'd jump at the opportunity insofar as his trade value is low, considering he'll probably leave in FA this summer.

7. knucklehead3321

You're right, but what if god forbid dwight continues to keep getting hurt then your stuck with plumlee filling that void? At least with kanter he could, if not im sure he'd bring more trade value than plumlee. He is restricted FA so he cant just walk, the infatuation thing was not directed completely at you alot on this board want him. I just dont get it, heck dorsey can give 6 fouls...also sometimes its not up to the team to be content with what they get back especially if the guy is demanding a trade sometimes losing in a trade is better than a malcontent player. Kanter may not be the answer,I just dont see plumlee being that valuable to give up a lottery pick, papa,capela, terry and as much as I dislike him even dorsey. Id do it if it was bwright instead of plumlee, I haven't checked but would that trade even work within the salaries? Sorry if you felt offended im just frustrated I thought this was our year to go deep if not win it all... and as each day passes its starting to feel like its all falling apart.

8. Patricker

Patricker Rookie

1.DMO+J.Terry+NYK 2nd-round pick+Denver 2nd-round pick <--> G.Dragic

2.T.Jones+Kpap+Shved+NOP 1st-round pick <---> T.Gibson

G.Dragic / P.Beverley
    J.Harden/ N.Johnson
    T.Ariza/ C.Brewer
    T.Gibson/ J.Smith
    D.Howard/ J.Dorsey

9. Patricker

Patricker Rookie

1.DMO+J.Terry+2015 NYK 2nd-round pick+ 2017 Houston 1st-round pick <--> G.Dragic

2.T.Jones+Kpap+Shved+2015 NOP 1st-round pick <---> T.Gibson

G.Dragic / P.Beverley
    J.Harden/ N.Johnson
    T.Ariza/ C.Brewer
    T.Gibson/ J.Smith
    D.Howard/ J.Dorsey

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I've always wanted Gibson. I just feel if we're going to give up every last asset we have, we should fill every need and that includes a legit back up 7 footer.

11. Nils

Nils Member

Good point...that's also a 4 for 2 trade...giving up a lot of depth, granted, for two very big pieces to the puzzle. We'd have to hope for some cuts and buyouts to bolster the roster, and that's a lot of turnover this late in the season..I'm guessing that the team and coaches wouldn't be thrilled about that. Otherwise...we'd get some very nice pieces.

12. carib

carib Member

You also have to look at it from the Suns side, they are not going to give up Wright that easily. Plumlee would probably be more attainable, I would rather him backing Dwight than Dorsey.

13. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

My random trade deadline wish list consists of the Rockets making 3 trades and a couple of free agent signings:

Houston In: Goran Dragic, Zoran Dragic
    Houston Out: NO 1st, Jason Terry, Clint Capela, Joey Dorsey

Houston In: Kevin Martin
    Houston Out: Papa, Bev

Houston In: DJ Agustin
    Houston Out: Canaan, Shved

(add in any additional second rounders to any of those trades which the other teams might feel are necessary to accept the deal)

Houston free agent signings: Jermaine O'neal, O. Okafor and Ray Allen

Final Houston 2014-2015 Roster:

Goran Dragic/Augustin/N.Johnson
    Hardin/Martin/Z. Dragic
    Ariza/Brewer/R.Allen
    DMo/Smith/Jones
    Howard/J. O'neal/Okafor

Why each one does it:

Phoenix: Their best deal will be to get the highest pick and the NO 1st will probably be the highest offer. Everything else is just salary filler, but they do get a great prospect, last year 1st round pick in Capella for someone that they will lose for nothing if not traded. They ship Zoran with his brother, so they take on Dorsey's salary for us which is less than Zoran's. I think it works only because no other team will offer more, not because G. Dragic isn't worth more.

Minny: They are rebuilding. Holding on to Martin for 3 more years makes no sense for them really. They need to let their younger players grow. With Rubio back, Lavine can play the two. Bev can be their backup PG. Papa a young creative wing to grow with their other youngsters.

Detroit: I don't know why they would trade Augustin because I don't really follow them. I just want them to trade him for an expiring in Shved and a high potential young PG on a rookie salary still. While DJ is more experienced to run our second unit, Canaan has a higher upside potential to grow with Detroit, so it's a win win.

Jermaine Oneal and Okafor sign here because they won't be required to do too much but still have a legit shot at a title once they see the other trades we have made at the deadline. They know that Dwight will probably be back, but that they will still get playing time behind him.

Ray Allen signs because we are the highest volume 3pt shooting team in the league, so we match his skill set. I know we picked up Martin too in my scenario, and we already have very good wings in Ariza and Brewer. But we can still find playing time for Allen's 3pt shooting when other's are off. Running a small ball lineup with him and Martin in allows for everyone else to have so much more space because those two have to be guarded closely at all times or they will light you up from the 3pt line with wide open shots that this team consistently misses.

I don't think I have to state why Houston does any of these trades or signings. We come out like fat cats and a true title contender!

1 person likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

A big man rotation of Gibson , Smith & Dorsey between now & Howard's return ?!
    Putting Nick Johnson back in the rotation .....

That looks like a recipe to go from the 4 seed (currently) to the 9 seed.

Anyone adding Motiejunas to any trade scenario needs their heads examined ... Anyone sending out both Motiejunas & T.Jones needs their posting privileges revoked.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

* That trade proposal with the Suns isn't going to happen:

First of all, they have the following big men: Len, Plumlee, The Morris Twins and Brandon Wright. In this proposal you add Dorsey and Capela to that rotation ... just saying.
    They also have too many guard, in this case they trade away 2 (Dragic brothers) and add another one with Terry. They need wings (SF type).

Your proposal is:
    Goran Dragic for the pick ?
    Zoran Dragic for Terry, Capela and Dorsey ?

Terry is a veteran and we need veterans to go deep in the playoffs ... you don't trade away Terry for Goran's little brother.

* That trade proposal with the Pistons isn't going to happen:

DJ is playing out of his mind right now. No way, Stan trades him. Just don't see it happening.
    DJ is the starting PG for a Pistons team that still is in the hunt for the playoffs ... just saying.

By the way, Ray Allen will sign (if he signs) with a contender that can give him minutes. In your rotation Allen plays behind Ariza and Brewer? Come on, dude ... :rolleyes:

But ... I like the idea of adding Martin as a 6th man. Just don't think Bev and Pap will be 'enough'. They are rebuilding and traded away Mo Williams. Adding a player like Bev would a head scratcher for me.

Adding a big guy like O'Neal or Okafor is possible, but only if we trade away a big guy, IMO.

16. basketballholic

Acquisition 1:
    3-team trade between Houston/Brooklyn/Philly
    Houston Out: Jet, Kostas, Shved, Dorsey, Pels pick, Knicks second round pick, Nuggets second round pick

Houston In: Mason Plumlee, Brook Lopez, Hollis Thompson, Cory Jefferson or Markel Brown

Philly Out: Hollis Thompson, Jerami Grant
    Philly In: Deron Williams, Cory Jefferson or Markel Brown, Pels pick, Knicks second rounder, Nuggets second rounder

Brooklyn Out: Mason Plumlee, Brook Lopez, Deron Williams, Cory Jefferson, Markel Brown
    Brooklyn In: Jet, Kostas, Shved, Dorsey, Jerami Grant

Acquisition 2:
    Two-team trade between Houston/Milwaukee
    Houston out: Brook Lopez and a minimum salary player (either Thompson or Jefferson or Brown or possibly Canaan or Nick Johnson)

Houston in: Ilyasova/Dudley/$4 million TPE

Milwaukee out: Ilyasova/Dudley
    Milwaukee in: Brook Lopez/minimum salary player

Acquisition 3:
    Philly buys out DWill, getting DWill to agree to a buyout of $30 million or so and waiving his whole 2016-17 season salary. Rockets then sign DWill at the minimum after waivingg the remaining minimum salary player they traded for from Brooklyn/Philly to create a roster spot.

Final results: Rockets move out JET, Kostas, Shved, Dorsey, and all their 2015 picks and they get back Mason Plumlee, DWill (signed to a minimum salary deal), Jared Dudley, Ersan Ilyasova...and a $4 million TPE.

Brooklyn gets out of luxury tax and has over $20 million of cap space to work with next season. So, they're in fine shape to be sold by Prokhorov..which is what they are trying to do.

Philly spends $7 million above what they had to already spend this year in payroll plus they blow $20 million of their 2016 payroll to collect the Pels pick, Knicks, pick, and Nuggets pick. Last season Philly paid almost $5 million in salary cap space (trade of Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen for Danny Granger's carcass) to acquire Golden State's second rounder, essentially a pick that they knew was going to be in the 50-60 range. Knowing that the only 2 teams in serious luxury tax territory are the Knicks and the Nets and the Knicks are sitting on expirings and will escape the repeater tax this summer anyways then the Nets are the only really big play this season to pick up draft picks by taking on salary. I think it's close to appropriate value in picks for Philly to take on DWill and buy him out.

Why would DWill take a buyout of his entire 2016-17 salary? Well....look at it this way. He's losing $22.3 million if he does that. However he should be able to get back around $12 million or so of that over the next couple seasons by signing for the MLE somewhere.....probably here. And living Texas is a lot lower cost of living plus no state income taxes, etc. You can run through the numbers in this scenario and see that he won't be giving up much. And he gets to start at the point next to Harden and play with his buddies Dwight and JSmoove, etc.

Now, you may think Deron has nothing left in the tank. I think he probably does. But if he doesn't...we've got him on a minimum salary deal. We're not committed to big money.

Irregardless of whether acquistion #2 happens or not this still would be a very favorable deal: JET, Kostas, Shved, Dorsey for Plumlee, DWill (at the minimum), Lopez, and a minimum salary guy. Plumlee is your ideal cheap backup for Dwight who would be an ideal fit here and give us 48 minutes of great rim and post defense along with being able to run the pick and roll with either James or Deron very well. Deron gives you that distinctive second playmaker. You could have one of James or Deron on the floor at all times for a championship run. They're surrounded by 3&D guys. And Lopez....or Ilyasova/Dudley is a great floor spreading option around either Dwight or Plumlee or Donuts in the middle.

Deron/Bev/Canaan/Johnson
    James/Brewer
    Ariza/Dudley
    Dwight/Plumlee/Capela/
    Donuts/Smoove/Ilyasova/Jones

By the way, the peripheral elements/players of this trade could be arranged a number of different ways. For instance if it required Jones out instead of Dorsey to get the deal done....that's doable and doesn't disturb the essence of this trade. Or if it requires Canaan or Johnson go out that's doable as well.

**Guys there is a distinct possibility of something along these lines happening because Brooklyn wants to sell, Philly wants to buy assets, and Houston wants to win a championship.

17. Nils

Nils Member

There is NO possibility of anything like this happening....convoluted and impossible based on NBA rules. I know that you worked hard on this, and it shows, but it won't hapoen.

A). DWill isn't going to just say "bye bye" to $22 mill....making some of it up later doesn't make sense. If he's bought out, it'll be for a large number...not a small one.

B) how many times will Brook Looez be traded? I'm pretty sure that there's a waiting period between trades...that's why we're waiting on Shved...you can't just trade people over and over...they aren't cattle.

C) your assumption that Brooklyn, Philly, and DWill are just there to help facilitate these trades....which ultimately help Houston immensely....again...why would DWill give up a guaranteed 22million dollars...there's no guarantee that he plays next year(injuries do happen)....the risk involved is crazy...and it wouldn't be $22 million...it's $43 million(2years).

D) I'm not here to criticize you....but this isn't gonna happen...for many reasons.

E) "Irregardless" isn't a word....it's "regardless".

18. basketballholic

Not worthy of my time responding. I'll just say everything I wrote here is NBA legal.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Bucks and Nets are prohibited to make deals until July. Furthermore Kidd hates Lopez.

20. Nils

Nils Member

WRONG