1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity.Net Summer Pro League Report : Game 2 - Rockets 79, Raptors 86

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 12, 2003.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife and I were also at the game, and I would just like to add a little to what DoD has already said.

First and foremost Hawkins needs to be on the team. Jefferies on the Raptors didn't do that much because Hawkins was playing him defense. We just focussed on Hawk every time Chris Jefferies had the ball and Hawkins defense was intense. The guy was really bearing down and all over his man. I wish everyone on the team would do that. As far as opponents go I feel sorry for any guys who are trying to make their team and are guarded by Hawk because they probably aren't going to shine.

Boki rarely shot a 3pt attempt. If anyone is counting on him to be our outside threat think again, if his regular season game is anything like today's game. And I'm not just talking about the fact that he was missing shots. I'm just talking about the shots he was taking, and what it looks like his role on the team is.

DeMarco Johnson did indeed play pretty well, and I like Jason the pg.

One guy that puzzled me and I can't tell about is Hicks. The guy is a little man, but he plays like a big man. He was on the inside going for rebounds, and trying to take the ball to the whole, he was almost always blocked by the Raptors or fouled. He was also posting up and playing like he was 8 inches taller than he was. On one hand I loved the fearlessness, and guts to play like that. On the otherhand he was being blocked so much, I don't know that his tactics were the smartest.

All I can say is that I really hope Hawkins makes the team. In addition to playing terrific defense, he did hit his open shots.

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

DoD,

Did George Williams of UH fame get any pt? How did he look?

Are the Rockets wearing the new logo at all or have you seen it around?

3. SLA

SLA Member

Hey! Nice report...I think JVG probably likes Juaquin. I hope he stays too! He played very well the first game. Did you see DoD?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I did see DoD I didn't know it. I don't think I did. There was one guy right behind my wife and I that was wearing a Rocket's hat. I think YoYao was supposed to be there too, and I didn't see him. I think the only way to really make sure we hook up is if we meet at the concession stand or something, or already know what one another look like. I kept an eye out for others, but didn't walk around really searching.

5. knifejc

knifejc Member

Thanks for the report, i always thought the report on Boki stated he was more of a slasher than outside shooter. Hopefully his stroke will come around in the next game or two.

6. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

DoD, you shouldn't have left after the Rockets game, there were many highlights in the Lakers/Clippers game. You missed a great game.

Macbeth, Chris Bosh is amazing, and I wished I could see more of him. He was the player to watch in this game with his highlight reel dunks and missed dunks. He won over the crowd easily, and I can't wait to see this guy in a few years when he's more polished.

Some of my insight from the past two days on the rocket players:

1. Hawkins deserves a place on this team. He by far out-hustles the other players. It really shows on defense. Not to mention he hit quite a few open jumpers when they kicked the ball out to him after penetration.

2. As DoD mentioned, Malick has a nice jumper. He has a high arc on his free-throw from what I noticed, but he can hit that shot if left open. He can even post up from what I saw, but I never got a good look because his teammates kept freezing him out. I love his hustle as he crashes the board and gets a lot of garbage points/fouls.

3. I don't know what is up with Boki, but he isn't hitting his shots at SPL. During shoot arounds, I was joking around with DoD that Malick hit more jumpers than Boki. Even though his shot wasn't falling, I did notice that Boki did grab rebounds and lead the break quite a few times. You can see the offensive potential in him, especially after one amazing pass he did, but his defense still needs a lot of improvement. Even my Laker friends yesterday were mentioning that Luke Walton of all people was scoring at will on him. If he can't stay in front of a slow white guy, then he has a lot of work cut out for him.

I'll write some more later, but keep up the good recaps DoD! It was fun watching the games with you.

7. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Hawk is a much better outside shooter than we give him credit for. I have no problem relying on him to be our backup 2. According to JVG you have to make the defense pay and he is certainly proved that he will be able to do that. He has hustle, of course, and having played all around the world (I can't find my baby...) he is very hungry. Based on the following potential roster, and the summer play to date, I am still in a fog with the absence and rejection of Tmo.

Ming/Cato/
    Eg/MoT/Ba
    JP/Rice/Boki
    Mobes/Hawk
    Wink/Mooch/

9. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

rocketsfan34, Thanks for your report.

How was Wang Zhizhi in the game with Lakers? Did he play many minutes?

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I was at the game, too. (FranchiseBlade, were you and your wife behind the Rocket bench, about midway up? Was there a guy in a Rockets cap sitting behind you and your wife? If so, that was moi.)

My thoughts:

Badiane will make the team some day. He's got a long stride and gets up the court VERY fast. His shooting touch is uneven, but not bad. A year of hard work and he could be a good shooter from 15 feet in. And his free throw touch blew me away, especially for someone his size. Sweet, sweet, sweet. Swear to God, if Shaq could shoot FTs like that, he'd average 40 ppg. Because Badiane's FT touch is so good, I can't help thinking he just needs to work on things like squaring up, creating space, etc. and he'll be a solid shooter, and possibly even a starter down the road. He's got a long way to go, though.

Another thing about Badiane: When you watch these summer league games, you're basically watching teams full of guys who are destined for the CBA or Europe. Maybe 2 or 3 guys on each team are truly NBA-caliber, and those guys stick out like sore thumbs -- they're very noticeable amid the riff-raff. And Badiane has a little bit of that NBA charisma. He gets your attention on a bunch of plays, much more than most of the scrubs. You find yourself watching him a lot, and that's a good sign.

Moving on, CD was right when he said someone needed another year in Europe to develop his game. Problem is, that someone is none other than BUSTjan Nachbar.

The good points on Boki:
    * He looks like a nice guy.
    * He tries hard.
    * His teammates seem to like him.
    * Like DoD said, he doesn't mind getting into the thick of things and taking a few lumps.

The bad points:
    * He still hasn't proven he can shoot against even sub-NBA-level talent.
    * He seems sluggish on offense. In fact, he looked quicker to me on D than on O. I can only imagine him being a slasher-type in an Italian league that isn't chock full of hyper-quick defenders like the NBA is, but I think his struggles here are going to be ongoing.

In short: He doesn't look anywhere close to being NBA-ready. I seriously doubt he'll ever be a starter. Weird thing, though -- he did look really good bringing the ball upcourt. Maybe DoD and I both ate tainted hot dogs and were hallucinating, but I was also thinking that he doesn't scare me as much as Moochie does.

As for the other Rockets, I agree with FranchiseBlade about Hawkins. We need this guy's intensity on our team. If nothing else, maybe he and Posey will make EG feel guilty enough to start trying harder. DeMarco Johnson had the quietest single-double I've ever witnessed.

One question I had was why Griffin isn't playing. I remember someone said it's because third-year players aren't allowed, but that can't possibly be true, since I saw both Lamond Murray, Wang Zhi Zhi and Tracy Murray play, and all of them have at least 3 years of NBA experience. Is this just a Rockets' rule? If so, it's stupid -- EG needs these games more than anyone.

With Tito Maddox and Chris Jefferies, that Fresno State team must rank high among the all-time freaky-looking teams. Yikes.

I stayed for some of the Lakers/Clippers game, and Chris Wilcox had a MONSTER 1st quarter -- something like 14 points, and he was nearly unstoppable. Most of the Laker skill is on the perimeter for their summer league team, though. Leon Smith was LA's starting center. I didn't know he was still around. Kareem Adbul Jabbar, Jr. got some PT for the Lakers, which explains why his dad was there. I also spotted Mike Dunleavy sitting next to Elgin Baylor near the Clippers bench.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Verbatim,

I don't know about what others have said, but I said I really don't see any new faces making this team, except for maybe Badiane. Boki, Tito, and Juaquin were here last year, so if they make the team, they wouldn't be "new". Of course I never thought Tito Maddox would make the team last year, so, what the hell do I know? :)

I'm sure Boki has the jitters. I do think that he has talent. He shows a lot of impressive skills on the court, but his shot just seems off. He's made some really sweet passes, pushed the ball up the court for the team, and played maybe average defense. If his shots would just fall, he'd be doing it all - but they aren't falling.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

George Williams played. I've seen him in 1.5 Raptors games now. In the half game I watched a couple of nights ago, he was flying around and on the receiving end of breaks and dunks. He seems to have lost some definition in his arms from last year and seems less muscular. He's still ripped, though. I don't know, maybe it's just me. He didn't do much of anything in the Rockets game offensively.

The Rockets aren't wearing any new logos that I could see. Everything was the "R" with the grinning rocket flying through it. Damn that Tim. :)

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DoD- How did Bosh looked compared to say Griffin of last summer? (speaking of EG, did you see him at this game?)

Re: Griffin not playing, there's also a rule based on how many games the player played the year before. Lamond Murray spent the entire year on IR, iirc. Was Tracy even in the league? Perhaps the 3 year thing only applies to first rounders? Also, I think Griffin needs to be playing amongst the men, rather than guys who have similar inside deficiencies.

Heh, imagine how sad this would be if we didn't have Badiane, and the only thing we could do was rip Boki.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I added links to a few pics to the first post in this thread. Nothing great, but better than nothing I suppose. I have some small vid clips that I'll put up when I get back to Dallas on the 20th.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well gee, thanks for putting this all in perspective. :) No, I haven't seen Griffin yet, if he's even there. Rocketsfan34 and I were joking that this was a sure sign he's been traded. ;)

Griffin was awesome in the summer leagues last year. Bosh, in the limited time I've watched him, hasn't shown me as much dominance as Griffin did last year. But Bosh did show me he could shoot a sweet 16 footer. Most of Bosh's moves weren't based on backing people down as much as shooting over them or blowing by them.

I don't know if there are NBA limitations, but from the SPL website, here's how you can play in the Summer Pro League :

16. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I was only there for the first half, cuz I got too hungry and left after that. In the first half, Wang started the second quarter, and played most of it.

Wang didn't do much in the first half because he wasn't featured in the offense and isn't a defensive presence either. Pretty much all he did on offense was set screens for the guards and occasionally run a pick and roll (He hit a 3, but missed 2 others). He showed some really nifty moves on offense, and totally juked his man one time in the post.

17. mingonly

mingonly Member

no offense,but some of you(wont name names) have either bi-polar syndrome or ADD.

#57 mingonly, Jul 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2003
  18. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

rocketsfan34 and topfive, I know this is off topic but could you tell me a little bit about how Chris Wilcox played for the Clippers in the game you watched afterwards. I'm curious to hear how a former Terp has been playing. :) I heard he put up 30 on the Lakers.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my dishwasher told me to kill them!

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

the rule is that you are only allowed three NBA veterans from your team, except for some cases where a player doesn't count against that (free agents, injured more than 20 games in prior season, played in the CBA for any part of previous season, and some more).

So, only Boki counts as a vet. Tito and Hawk are free agents. Thus, we must have just chosen not to include Eddie. Do we have another summer league to play in?