1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

This is nothing like Parsons 2.0. In the case of Parsons, having the flexibility to make him a RFA a year early actually hurt the Rockets. They don't have that with DMo.

Completely different situations.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Am I the only one that thinks that if we did have to include Ariza in a deal that Brewer could fill in just fine with the starting lineup, even dare I say ... IMPROVE the starting lineup? Addition by subtraction?

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

??????

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not surprised. With so much uncertainty with Dwight Howard's health for the rest of the season, DMO is just too important. Like it was previously mentioned, he is versatile in being able to play C/PF spots, is a two way player and most importantly can add balance to the offense as a low post threat and be effective when the game slows down.

I would not say DMO is untouchable. But for what he brings THIS TEAM right now, he can't be moved for anything short of a HIGH impact player.

Still would love for the Rockets to find a way to get either Dragic or Brandon Knight.

5. craguin

craguin Member

6. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Whats the Source of this info? Prove it or its Multiple Sauces

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think it may be possible to improve the starting lineup by doing that, but Ariza's defense will be sorely missed.

8. basketballholic

No, you're not. I think Brewer has outplayed him even though Brewer primarily plays with the second unit. I think Brewer, at this point, is a better player for us than Ariza.

BTW, I want to be clear. I'm not down on Ariza. I think he is a good player. But....he's on a long-term deal. And it's obvious to me that he can't hit the 3-ball as accurately for us when he is given a high volume of shots. And he keeps taking a ton of them. I don't think we lose hardly anything defensively with Brewer in place of Ariza and I do think we gain somewhat offensively with Brewer instead of Ariza because of Brewer's speed and better handle...and so far...his better shot selection and percentages.

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no different to Beverley

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that someone like DMo is probably worth matching a max deal for while Parsons isn't.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Progs is an insider now? Wasn't it he that implied he was just trolling us a while back? :confused:

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ariza is 10 times better a defender than Brewer. Brewer plays good defence but gambles a lot on getting the steal.

people just expected Ariza to hit 40+ percent on threes in every game, At Washington he took most of them from the corner and here he doesn't.

Ariza's contract is a very good one, it isn't dear at all

Ariza also helps out with the rebounding, Brewer isn't a good rebounder

13. jrett121

jrett121 Member

I'm not dealing Ariza for anyone short of the Greek Freak.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah Ariza's contract isn't that big at all esp with the new CBA..it's his perfomance that has thrown down his value a bit but I think he will get better. Plus he's a good fit in Houston.

15. basketballholic

Yes, Brewer does gamble a little more. But don't say Ariza doesn't gamble. He does. The difference is Ariza recovers better than Brewer does. However, I don't think that's significant.

Your statement that Ariza is 10 times better a defender than Brewer has to be exaggeration. I'd give you maybe 10-20% better than Brewer but not 10 times better.

Probably more desire than expectation. We desire for our 3-ball shooters to shoot as high a percentage as possible. While 32% isn't all bad (it's the equivalent of almost 49% from 2) it needs to be better on that volume of shots for us to be a championship team. Ariza hit 44.6% of those corner 3's last year with Washington. He's only hitting the corner 3 at a 37.2% clip for us. However he's also taking more 3-point shots overall for us. So his corner 3-point percentage is down significantly and his overall 3-point percentage is down significantly. And he only shot 6% more of his 3-point volume from the corner last year.

I don't believe Ariza can be an efficient VOLUME 3-point shooter. I believe his shot selection has to be very limited for his efficiency to be what it was in Washington. On the other side of the scale, Brewer has increased his corner 3-point shooting volume from 63% of his 3-point shots to 73% (Ariza is only taking 33.7% of his 3-ball shots in the corner. That's an ASTOUNDING DIFFERENCE. That means Ariza is heaving up over 64% of his 3-balls from the arc where he has been very inefficient.) of his 3-point shots. And Brewer is hitting his corner ball at a slightly higher rate than Ariza is and mostly eschewing the 3's around the arc where he isn't as good. This also speaks to the speed difference between Brewer and Ariza. Brewer can get down in the corner and get open on the break a whole lot better than Ariza can. Generally speaking, Brewer increases the whole team's offensive efficiency by getting down the floor so quickly.

It may indeed be a "very good one" but it is going to be a hinderance to us having max cap space this summer to add a 3rd superstar. And if his performance continues to deteriorate it could become a net negative trade value. Right now...with our other assets, we should be able to move Ariza out without it costing us assets. His contract hopefully is still considered a plus value or at least a neutral value. But if we trade out assets and lose the Pels pick and we don't acquire a clear top 3 player on this team...then we're facing a land-locked situation with not enough assets to trade for a superstar and not enough cap space to sign a superstar.

True. Now do you want to examine Brewer's pluses over Ariza. Brewer is very clearly way better than Ariza at getting out on the break and finishing. And I could go on. But I won't.

You have a legit opinion on Ariza. I understand why you think he's better than Brewer. My opinion is Brewer is close to being as effective defensively and is more effective offensively and if we move Ariza out now we then have the genuine threat of adding both a 3rd superstar player either through Ariza's trade along with other assets and also a possible signing either this summer or next summer. And that would make us a much better team long-term than simply adding one more top 3 piece and having Ariza as our 4th or 5th best player.

#23715 basketballholic, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  16. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I think we should trade bev. isn't he a free agent this summer?

17. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

If Enes Kanter is available I think he would be a great back up for Howard only thing is that he's getting paid a nice amount so idk how all the cap stuff works but the guy would help us out big time off the bench or even starting when Howard isn't able to go.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, Bev will be a RFA this summer.

19. Pete the Cheat

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This thread is truly impressive. Just keeps on going.

Nice thing is, no matter what happens or doesn't happen, the trade deadline is a scant 15 days away. Finally....so close. Not close enough, but not so far away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.