1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Edema

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gqgeo, Jan 28, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I knew they shouldn't have let Tone Loc perform at the game a few weeks back. Are you happy now Les? :mad:

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hopefully it's just a bone bruise and that's why they were thinking he might need microfracture. I had a similar sort of issue with my microfracture site. The MRI showed no cartilage at the microfracture site where I was having pain. When I eventually had it scoped the doctor saw I had an overgrowth of "cartilage" from the microfracture procedure. He smoothed it out and I haven't had issues since.

That said bone bruises are going to be more common when there is thinning cartilage. I'm not optimistic for Dwight this season.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

some blame has to go towards the players, as well....Remember Tmac had that trash personal trainer for years. Howard has said before he's tried to play through pain and has a habit of downplaying injuries. This last knee strain, it sure didn't seem like he told anyone about it right away, from reports. The team has to trust the player will inform them of every little bump and bruise and they don't always show the best judgement with that or want to do their own thing.

It's already been diagnosed as a knee strain though. The bone bruise was during preseason. Whether or not they were related, he has a knee strain now, or that's the last thing he had, anyway.

#43 RV6, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. SemisolidSnake

You and 90% of us who clicked this.

I say just do any surgery now, and rest him the remainder of the year. With Terrence coming back like he did yesterday, we have three pretty big guys who can rotate around the 4 and 5, and we won yesterday with that. In fact, as long as Harden isn't injured, the team will find ways to win without Dwight, and it may prove to be highly beneficial for experimenting with lineups and forcing people to play extra hard defense.

We played a good game last night, where people were playing hard and playing to their strengths. I think we can take that out of the first round at least. Might as well get Dwight on the healing path ASAP as opposed to putting him out there at half capacity, tearing him up even more, and having him not contribute at the level a healthy Dwight can. He gets any more injured and his rest of his tenure with us is going to be wasted.

5. kemah

kemah Member

lol

We would be risking missing the playoffs if Howard is gone for the year or one and out again in the playoffs. Let's wait and see if Howard is OK before risking our season.

6. desertfire

desertfire Member

If Howard needs microfracture surgery, he is likely out next season any way. I would rather delay surgery to give us a chance this year and then Howard get surgery in the offseason. The Rockets are in reach of the #2 seed. That basically makes them legit contenders. Even a less explosive Howard is better than nothing. I'm just guessing like the rest of you, but I bet they rest him until nearly a few weeks before the playoffs, ease him back in and try to get whatever they can out of him for a championship run.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like a healthy Dwight, but think an injured gimpy one is not worth playing, so unless he is going to be 100% there is no need for him to lace them up! a gimpy Dwight is not as good as TJo,DMo and jSmo.

In other words if he can't go full speed he makes the team worse.

DD

8. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I agree and I was talking about a minor injury that could wait till after the season to correct. Microsurgery and he needs to shut it down this year. We just need to see what the problem is.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

McHale mentioned this about 15 minutes ago on 790 :

Dwight will have another blood pellet procedure within the next few days and they will inject some lubrication into his knee again.

Did not mentioned he will rest for how long but I would guess it will be more than just this road trip.

1 person likes this.
  10. delishman

delishman Member

Thanks for the update!

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Let's say 2-3 until he has the treatment, another 2-3 before testing it again, and then probably a week of on and off testing at increasing intensities.... Of course every individual responds differently and they may be even more cautious now, but I'd pencil him in for at least 10 days..

thats about 5-6 games and leading right into that ugly stretch of games against playoff teams.

12. desertfire

desertfire Member

Seems like a gimpy Howard still provides important rim protection and rebounding. Maybe you are right though.

I appreciate what Morey has done to this team. Remember what a blow it was when we found out Yao was out for the season (each time)? This team is centered around Harden and has the frontcourt depth to sustain a long absence by Howard. If they get a healthy Howard by the playoffs, this team should be the West favorites only behind G.S., and that's even if we don't add another playmaker.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Just a guess,

I would say most likely will be back after ASG.

14. kemah

kemah Member

lol

That is my guess also.

15. playlife

playlife Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Dwight Howard will get second opinion on his knee, could miss extended time. Likely eliminates Howard as All-Star sub for Kobe.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/560961638996934656">January 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that would have been my guess too, but you have to wonder if the standings will force him back sooner. I dont know how both sides feel about that issue. Does Howard prefer to come back earlier to help us lock a top seed? Will Morey ask him to? Dallas dropped to 7th already, after being tied with us like a week ago. With OKC charging and our toughest stretch of the season coming up, it could get ugly for us before the break.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Is "injecting lubrication" a standard procedure? I'm surprised we don't hear about it more often as you would expect modern medicine could create something that could mimic cartilage for at least a few months at a time but this is the first I've heard of it actually being used on a person.

18. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Oh noes. I wish we had kept Black. Time to ride Harden hard.:(

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm guessing he's referring to this:

20. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Good cal yesterday. I apologize for snapping at you. Bravo.