1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I know there was one particular play being referenced earlier, but you're right, DMo wasn't just being guarded by Dirk. Lol, if DMo did that poorly against just Dirk I'd think there'd be a lot more knee jerk reactions.

2. kemah

kemah Member

Knew it was going to be tougher for Dmo when teams started scouting him and adjusted but I also feel that Dmo will adjust along with the team to take advantage of the increased pressure. I have been waiting to see Dmo against better competition in the west and we have some games coming up where Dmo can start getting his feet wet on what he and the team will see in the playoffs. The best thing is that Dmo is now considered a threat and that relieves pressure of the team in other areas. The only concern really I have with Dmo before is his rebounding which we need greatly with Howard out and it looks to be a continuing concern but I do see others on the team picking up in that area. If TJ can keep improving and then the pressure that Dmo is receiving will translate to TJ being able to rebound and go strong at the basket. IMHO.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm, I don't think Dwight does (if he shows up in playoffs like last year), but there definitely will be some changes since Morey moves guys around like trading cards... I think chemistry can definitely be an issue with too much tweaking but if Rockets lose anyway (as per this example) I don't care how Morey does it, I just want some decent playoff runs and them not to waste a MVP player with first round exits.

4. dje243

dje243 Member

EXACTLY. We were so used to seeing him be automatic in the post that on games when he doesn't we all freak out. But he still scores in double figures and helps the team in other ways. If Dwight's injuries pile up, DMO at the 5 and TJones at the 4 could be our front line of the future... and that doesn't sound too bad to me (especially in a year or two).

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Dmo was going against Tyson Chandler with Dwight out. Tyson is long and athletic.

I wouldn't worry too much. Let DMo figure out how to attack such centers by consulting McHale and Dream.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Everyone that says dmo needs to get stronger needs to relieve that he DID bulk up over the summer . Early in the season and during his breakout run he looked a bit bigger than he does now. Constantly playing has taken a bit of a toll on dmo and it looks like he is nursing an injury. Hopefully he can learn to maintain his size a bit during the rest of the season. The three point shooting is encouraging .

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Outside of this site, does anyone know if other team's fans see DMo as this untradable player? I'm just curious because I know there are some biased opinions we sometimes post, not that other team's fans matter, but for example, on other boards people know Harden is the real deal and in talks for MVP etc., I know some people still cite that he doesn't play defense but obviously as more team's fans see him play that seems to be slowly changing. There have been a lot of posts over the years where we get attached to a player only to see him falter later on or do nothing once he gets traded/cut (and it's not bad to do this in supporting the team, but sometimes we watch our teams with rose colored glasses). And I'm not saying DMo should be traded/cut (haha, I'd quit watching if he was cut at this point), I'm definitely curious to see his contributions in the playoffs, I mean in games this season he's definitely contributed to the Rockets winning.

8. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Donatas Motiejunas is a man who is barely 24 years of age who is emerging. I hate all the trade talk that goes on about guys who are playing well. And you know what? I'm for keeping that Pelicans pick and letting our team's chemistry develop. Donatas Motiejunas should be a valuable member of this team for years to come. He hardly has any experience and has shown many signs of struggle that young players show, but at the same time, he has shown a lot of promise as a player that not many other young players show. In the post, he has looked better than Dwight when Dwight hasn't fully exerted himself. He's a very nice player who we can have for years at a likely affordable rate. Why not hold on to him? As for the guy that said that the op's mom is underrated, well that was just the post of the year indeed. I like our team and we don't need to dump all of our players. They have all been fine contributors to the team. When we had a lot of injuries, they all carried their fair share and then some.

9. bobbysikora

bobbysikora Member

Dmo has the second best real plus/minus on the Rockets at +1.90 points per 100 possessions.

Here are the Rockets players in the plus/minus category as of last night against Dallas.

Harden +7.41
    Dmo +1.90
    Ariza +0.95
    Jones +0.68
    Howard +0.44
    Beverly -0.15
    Terry -0.35
    Brewer -1.00
    Dorsey -1.13
    Capela -1.50
    Canaan -1.69
    Garcia -2.40
    Johnson -2.97
    Shved -3.13
    Papa -3.24
    Smith -4.33

I'm a firm believer in the real plus/minus stat.

10. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I go on many other fan sites now and again and maybe have seen Dmo mentioned twice and briefly at that. One is a Mavs fan site and other a Lakers site.

11. basketballholic

So you're a big fan of Ricky Rubio...right?

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>We may need to re-evaluate D-Mo as a 3-pt shooter. He's shooting at a .372 clip (16-43) over the past 2 months.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/status/560855885275070464">January 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug">@BimaThug</a> makes 200 every practice</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/560856225307705344">January 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

200 every practice?!?! That's crazy.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

boxing out is a major weakness he needs to fix NOW.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I actually think he is pretty good at the boxing out part of rebounding, it is the actually grabbing of the ball he has issues with. I think that is why he so often tries to tip it to someone else. He also often has the ball stripped from him after he has successfully gotten position.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agreed. Doesn't seem like he jumps quick enough for rebounds but with proper strength training in the off-season he should get better at rebounding.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You simply don't trade 7 footers who can score in the post and hit 3's. As rare as rare can get.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks, yeah, that's what I kind of expected. Hopefully he has a good showing in the playoffs.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This is part of the reason I don't understand how anyone can think we *should* trade D-Mo. The guy works on his game harder than most people. You can just tell from his comments that he absolutely loves basketball.

His work ethic combined with his natural skill set is why I think he'll develop into a really really good player.

19. bobbysikora

bobbysikora Member

I guess Rubio's okay. Shane Battier is more like it.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only players on this team id be willing to trade are Bev, Dorsey (lol) and the two rookies. Terry is a maybe but the return has to be good