1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dwight Howard Edema

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gqgeo, Jan 28, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Agreed.

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

troublesome... Maybe the best course of action is to scope the knee (arthroscopic surgery) to see what's going on there: maybe some small piece of loose cartilage that can't be seen on the MRI is causing inflammation.

Microfracture would suck big time, hopefully it's not that bad.

3. conquistador#11

edema sounds like a big booty white girl. wish that was howard's ailment.
    get healthy big guy, the post season is what we need you for!

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Or, a Whooty. So to speak.

5. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

never heard of this disease, is it even sth athletes would possibly have

6. A00man

A00man Member

Some context would be nice when creating a new thread. Not everyone is going to go deep into the Cyberx thread to see a tweet proclaiming edema was found in Dwight's knee.

You could have posted that tweet followed by the article on Bogut. Just sayin...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets announce Dwight Howard had MRI/ evaluated at Memoral Herman Hospital. MRI revealed edema in his right knee.Will be evaluated further</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/560661564676521984">January 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2 people like this.
  7. juanm34

juanm34 Member

He'll be ok. Just has to drain the knee and take some time off.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Dwight's last hurrah, hope he can make it to the playoffs and they Brett Favre his knee with pain killers for the playoff run. Dwight's going to walk with a limb as an old man. The sacrifice the big men make for NBA success. There is one thing Dwight cannot control and that is when father time decides to take it away. :(

Oh, Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jones' recovery has come just in time of need. I would like Ty Lawson or Goran too, but a backup center like Sims or Miles Plumee could be useful along with either one of them. Mo Williams and Sims may be gettable, without having to give up too much, I guess.

Let's hope Dwight's condition won't be too bad. We certainly need him healthy for the playoffs, but I am mentally ready to hear that he will be out for the rest of the season.

Go Houston Rockets!

Is there any update on Harden's knee injury? I sure hope that he is ok. I admit, I am not mentally ready to hear any bad news about him.

#29 saleem, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Just rest him, with TJ back.. It's better to just keep him on the bench to get better.

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

I posted this in the other DH thread:

http://www.howardluksmd.com/orthopedic-social-media/bone-marrow-edema-knee/

"After trauma, the bone marrow edema will subside on its own. Just like most any other bruise you have had. In osteonecrosis, the bone marrow edema will also subside. In many cases of osteonecrosis the bone will grow new blood vessels and regrow itself. Sometimes the area involved is too large, and it may not regrow. See this post for further information on osteonecrosis. Osteoarthritis on the other hand is a progressive condition. Sadly, it only gets worse over time. That means that the edema is unlikely to improve either. In cases of severe pain that is thought to be due to bone marrow edema, certain treatments might be indicated."

So unless he has arthritis, I think it is not as serious as yall are making it to be guys...

12. desertfire

desertfire Member

That's not really reassuring. There's no reason he couldn't have arthritis from overuse. It just means the cartilage has worn thin. I took Howard's "bone on bone" comment to be an exaggeration, but perhaps not. We don't have enough information to really know what's going on and maybe even the Rockets do not at this point.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If my fears are true, I imagine the team thinks a deep playoff run is possible if Dwight can play so they are throwing every nagging injury excuse they can out to the fans/media/other teams so that he can rest him until the playoffs and hope he is healthy enough to play at a high level. I assume a proclamation that Dwight needs microfracture surgery might take away some of Morey's leverage in a trade situation.

Also, the team has the history of being either the most incompetent or the biggest liars (maybe both) when it comes to the health of its players.

This continues to be more and more like the Tracy McGrady season where he took several weeks off to get healthy only to come back, look like crap and take more time off to get healthy and then out of nowhere get microfracture surgery. I understand the politics are much different this time around but this entire situation stinks of deception.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honestly, don't bring him back until after the ASG. Nothing is more important for this team's playoff success than health.

15. alethios

alethios Member

He's been hit with the funky cold edema.

2 people like this.
  16. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Who is Eddie's mommy?

Eddie Johnson? Are shooting the former rocket into Dwights knee?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093260/

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

Just have to wait and see, I guess, as to what type it is.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Details could be different, but doctors said Tracy could finish the season in '09 without aggravating his knee. He wasn't trying to hear it.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets can manage to squander another $20m superstar.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I know what the stats say, but the eye test says we are going to compete at a high level. Why, Dwight's ability to play PnR D isn't great and gives up a ton of uncontested looks, which kills us against good shooting teams like GS, Portland, etc.... I like the left handed crew of Dmo, Tjones, and JSmoove.

We also go away from D12's low percentage of post ups and high turnovers.