1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Pretty good catch there. Would love that scenario.

That said, isn't Durant from the DC area? Him playing at University of Texas for one year doesn't necessarily make Texas home for him does it?

2. Nook

Nook Member

Desperation and knowing that the team needs another playmaker on the perimeter in the worst possible way. It is also possible that the Rockets value Deron Williams more than Smith.

The Rockets would be giving up less value than Asik and Lin. Also, the windown to add a player is shorter now than it was in the past. I would assume the Rockets would give up contracts and possibly even get assets back for taking on Deron Williams.

Nope, Williams would be a fall back option if Dragic and Lawson and others are not possible.

Cyberx has brought up Williams at a minimum of 2-3 times as a target.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, I don't think BKN has any assets to give. Boston and Atlanta have all of them. Picks and pick swaps from now until eternity.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Little item on Reggie Jackson from ESPN Insider
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=33070

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I would say that it's about as much of a homecoming as it was for Josh Smith. At least Durant has SOME ties to Texas. Again though, it's the pipe dream of pipe dreams....especially since it seems like Durant hates Howard.

6. Nook

Nook Member

They have very few, and I do not even know if they would give up the few they have to move Williams.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I can only imagine it if there's a wink-wink with Deron and the Nyets with them waiving/stretching DW and then he signs here, ala JS.

9. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If we get Williams it will handicap our roster for the next 2 seasons. Salary cap is only so big, even with the expected raise.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Harden was like that too.
    There were rumors going around that Kendrick Perkins and I think either D-Fish or Ibaka was berating the **** out of him for focusing on his statline instead of winning games.

11. jrett121

jrett121 Member

I saw that and thought D/FW - Dallas Ft. Worth... but he said outside of Texas.

12. jrett121

jrett121 Member

sorry i'm an idiot. need coffee.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nook... look back at Morey's transaction, and signing history at the PG position, and especially the backup PG position. Does Morey seem like someone who is desperate to spend 45+ million dollars on a "potential" backup & oft injured PG (yes, there is potential they would maybe still start Beverley to stagger minutes) when he's been able to pluck perfectly capable PG's out of the blue time and time again?

Also... when has Morey really been that desperate with his transactions? The Lin signing is the only one I can recall (driven by ownership), and that was in a rebuilding WTH "why-not" year.

I'd say Morey is more likely to scout the planet and find another playmaker in the most unlikely places at the minimum than to trade for Deron Williams.

I'd say, based on Morey's transaction history, that it might actually be more likely he trades Beverley and does his "comfort foods" removal trade that he's been known to do in the past (Ex: Alston for KLowry trade).

What assets would the Nets have to give other than Plumlee? The reason why Morey was talking to the Nets about DWill this past year was probably more about how they would be compensated for taking him back rather than anything.

And no, flipping Lin and Asik last year(two players due 30 million dollars) for a supposed "all-star" talent at a needed position would have been higher value add than trading half your bench, potential starters, and assets this year on much more valuable contracts for DWill now. Either way a player like Brewer, Ariza, along with Terry & Papanikolaou will have to be included one way or another in a trade proposal. That is MAJOR change in the bench production & will significantly alter team chemistry. If this is truly a "win-now" move, you probably did more damage to the overall team chemistry that will counteract any major upgrade at one particular position.

I would actually argue this is more of a win-later move as this team probably wouldn't hit its stride until late in the season or next year. Look at how the team has handled the Josh Smith & Brewer acquisitions. Even one of two ancillary pieces on the bench can cause disjointed immediate chemistry. Much less moving all of these pieces and inserting a player like Williams who needs the ball in his hands quite a bit. Then there is the locker room chemistry angle which we wont get into.

Says who... Brian Geltzieler or whatever his name is? He seems to be the only guy who claimed Williams was Morey's "fall-back" option to Melo, and Bosh. When Morey failed to land either guy, and didn't trade for DWill, I lack recalling Geltz owning up to his report that Morey would trade for him.

I'm not saying D-Will ISN'T an option, but he's obviously not a high priority option or else... again... He would have already been a Rocket.

Yes... because Morey probably has talked to Billy King about trades 2 to 3 times at least... hell maybe even 2 to 3 times this week.

That's what Morey does... that's what he gets paid to do... talk to other GM's about trades, and such. What isn't known is Morey's ultimate motive in having these conversations? Obviously since Deron Williams ISN'T in Houston right now, its safe to say that the one and only goal might NOT have been JUST to acquire Deron Williams.

#22653 dobro1229, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The other reason Jackson is a bad fit aside from his selfish play is that in 30 min/gm this season he's shooting 42% from the field and 28% from 3. And it's not like he's a high assist guy. He's only averaging 4 1/2 a night. With those kinds of numbers, I'd rather hang onto Bev and leave him as the starter.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What if we could convince the Nets to waive Williams by agreeing to a lopsided trade in their favor where we acquire Joe Johnson?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't see Morey making a move for Deron Williams at his current salary/years. Morey's interest probably has more to do with if Deron gets WAIVED or STRETCHED and Williams clears waivers and is available at a minimum salary. Just keeping tabs on him the same way he kept tabs on Josh Smith.

Whoever the Rockets get, if they give up the NOP pick (a quality asset) that means the Rockets plan to "go all out" to keep said player. That means if the Rockets go after Dragic or Reggie Jackson, the Rockets know they will be paying around 14M/season for these guys. And Lawson is at 12M per for the next two years. Rockets might be able to get someone like Darren Collison without giving up the NOP pick. And he is cheaper.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that's not allowed

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sounds like a Basketballholic strategy. :p

19. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe Morey can convince Deron Williams to fake his own death, and then Morey can sign a player he "discovered honing his craft in the mountains of Nepal"... Darren Chilliums. A man who looks oddly a lot like Deron Williams with a mustache.

It would be a classic under-the-radar Morey signing.

1 person likes this.
  20. sabesque

sabesque Member

Is Codman historically a DocRocket-esque code-talker? Just curious because i haven't been very productive so far today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.