1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Current NBA: does it rival the 80 basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jan 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

I think it does. I mean nearly every team has some intriguing players and there are fantastic games every night.

The is certainly the silver age of basketball. The game is sooo good.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Whaaaat? No.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

old people will always think their time is better but I think its about as good as it can get

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think that way about things I love: food, music, p***y and basketball.

I like the stars from every era since the '80s began. I have no problem with any of them. The only problem now is the profound disparity between the conferences.

I'm not much of an NFL fan, but it would be hard to find many diehard NFL fan saying the NFL was better in the '70s or '80s.

#4 heypartner, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

you think there aren't many nfl fans that preferred the nfl back when defensive players weren't a perpetual villain class?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

80's teams would have a feast with today's NBA rules... they played at a high proficiency level AND were physical.

On the flip-side, if today's teams would have to play with 80's rules, scoring would go waaaay down. Then again, players are bigger/stonger/faster than ever so maybe it was necessary.

#6 Nick, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Older people have the experience to know better. They're not reading about it or watching grainy YouTube clips.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The 80's maybe, but not the 90's. How many big men today have the touch that it seemed ten big men had in that decade? I'm talking Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Rik Smits, and then you go to the defensive end where there was Parish, Mourning, and Mutombo. Basketball today has only Duncan and then maybe Pau Gasol--guys who have, not coincidentally, seven rings between them.

As Hakeem said, basketball will always be a big man's sport. Yea, the rules are harder on them now, allowing for zone D and such, but look at what DMo is able to do just by dusting off some of McHale's old moves. Players today are certainly more athletic than ever, but where are the skills? At a certain point, the cost:benefit ratio of working out versus actually working on your game starts to skew in the other direction. For me that fulcrum point was the 90's: the height of NBA basketball.

9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's awesome. Great games all the time. Really smart offenses (with certain exceptions *cough Lakers cough*) trying to beat really smart defenses. All time athletes flying down the court and hitting crazy shots. All time players like LeBron, Durant, Harden :))) playing at insane levels.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't know about the 80s but I would love to see a 90s Hakeem vs current DMo in the post. Dream would teach DMo about fockass.

11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

This is my sentiment as well. I would have to honestly throw in ANY era of competitive Pro Ball. I love watching BASKETBALL. I cannot get enough. I'm never again going to live my life without NBA League pass. It doesn't matter who is playing, I'll watch it.

Like heypartner, I also agree with the disparity in the conferences. It's been like this for a while though. I would much rather see a playoffs system based purely off of RECORD. Let THE BEST teams play for the championship.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I like the 80s and 90s better. Since i like post ups and playing inside out.

I do like this era better than the 2000s to me that was an alltime low for the nba. No good centers (except shaq and maybe Yao) and a lot of inefficiƫnt isolation playing guards.

13. Soybean Fanatic

Current NBA is great as it is. 80s and 90s can stay where they are.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I'm only 24, loved the entertainment of today but no.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Apples and oranges. The 3 point offenses completely changes the NBA. I imagine 80s teams would struggle with defending the 3 point offenses, but the 80s teams would dominate the interior even when you stuffed it.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

80's rosters were less watered down because we didn't have all these superfluous newbie expansion franchises in C-level cities back then

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

not even close

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The game is different today. The money the players make. The players that just coast through the season. It's more of a business than a game.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

The league has only added three teams since the late 1980s and has seen a massive influx of foreign players. I don't think the talent level is watered down.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Okay @dmorey, we get it. :p