1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic options to upgrade the PG spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Cranberry_Juice

In terms of defense, Beverly is overrated. In terms of grit, he is like a junior compared to Ryan Bowen.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Last June I believe it was rumored that they wanted two lottery picks in last years draft (one being Marcus Smart I think) for MCW. I think Hinkie is definitely putting his name out there, but you'd probably laugh at what he's asking for.

Hint: Its not Canaan and the Pelicans pick

I do think MCW would be a good replacement for what the Rockets lost with Parsons last year. Very similar players IMO, but a little smaller, and a little worse shooter. But both create out of the P&R similar, and have that same lanky way of working their way through traffic, finishing, and creating. I do think he'd fit right in easily. Just needs to improve his shooting. But I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Does anyone think a trade for Mo Williams be good for us? I dunno what it takes to obtain him but it's a lot less than your Reggie Jackson's and Ty Lawson's of the world. His experience might prove to be valuable come playoffs time.

I like us to try to get Lawson but I think Denver will demand an arm and leg for him.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I like Kendall Marshal.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He used to be better.

He seems to think scoring is what we have him around for. He need to remember why we liked him so much.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

George hill..... he shoots the 3, solid on D, takes care of the ball, can play off the ball, will stick to the system no locker room problems.

If MCW is out there N.O pick and papa ??? it may be a steal like harden never know. He plays D big guard will not have to handle ball as much as he does with 76ers.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Beverley didn't have a great game defensively. His man made a few big plays at the end of the game. But I still think Bev is one of the best defenders at PG in the league.

The Entire Team played poor defense lastnight in my opinion. Many people are looking for a PG that is better offensively. But, offense really wasn't our problem lastnight. We scored 113 points and shot over 50%. We did have too may turnovers, led by harden with seven.

An upgrade at PG would be nice, but it's going to be hard to find someone that has all the qualities many at ClutchFans are looking for. Almost any realistic option is going to be deficient in some area.

8. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Why yall hatin on Bev?

9. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Beyond Beverly's lack of playmaking and decision making, his defensive problem is that he plays everyone the same. He wants to play tight and in your face pressure defense against everyone. While I appreciate his intensity, you also have to be smart. Alfred Payton is shooting 21% from the 3 point line, yet Beverly was in his face, enabling Payton to live in the lane and break down our defense all night long.

At one point I remember Beverly saying that he doesn't pay a lot of attention to scouting reports. He just goes out there and plays his aggressive brand of defense. Well, it isn't enough to be good, tough, athletic, or talented. You have to be smart too. If you don't do these things in your supposed area of strength, then you have no business starting.

I would love Beverly off the bench as a 3rd/4th guard, but the Rockets desperately need an upgrade at the 1.

1 person likes this.
  10. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I put that one on McHale if that is the case.

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Good analysis of Bev. I've been saying this team has too low of a bball IQ overall. The Rox may be the dumbest good team in the NBA. The low bball IQ of the team is compounded by a low IQ pg like Bev. I love the guy because of his heart and hustle, but he just won't cut it as a starter and its becoming more and more evident.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

I was yelling at the TV all last night and especially in the 4th. Why is Bev playing up on him Alfred Payton? I'ts Aflred freaking Payton, force him to shoot jumpers and 3's.

Poor pregame preparation on Bev and McHale's part. Read the scouting reports and know the people you're playing against.

13. Textroets

Textroets Member

I would welcome an upgrade for sure. Someone who can make plays with the ball but for the most part I'd say it isn't completely necessary that we get an upgrade. Let this team get used to each other and figure a few things out. We are yo-yoing back and forth from 3rd to 5th seed in a VERY good western conference. Just relax guys, this is the Nba. The good teams lose to the bad teams every once in awhile.

14. CertifiedTroll

Alfrid Payton is that Elfrid Payton's brother?

15. Cranberry_Juice

I thought he was Hagrid Payton's brother.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I really don't like this attitude when we all fall in love with players. I absolutely LOVE Pat Beverley, and I think he's been incredible for the personality switch of this teams mentality, but if you think he's a starting caliber PG on a championship team, I think your kind of kidding yourself.

I do think Pat Beverley should be kept around it at all possible, but I absolutely think they should upgrade if they can. Not upgrade just for the sake of upgrading (see BBHollic's fixation with Rubio), but if there is the ability to bring in someone that truly fits the starting lineup, and dramatically upgrades the talent level at the point they should make the deal happen.

17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

my order

Ty Lawson
    MCW
    Dragon
    Rubio
    Jackson

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

They will have to upgrade to get past the upper echelon teams in the west come playoff time. They need a real PG who can cut down on their turnovers maintain ball control throughout most of the game while taking the pressure off Harden to do everything. Give Harden control of the ball in last 5 minutes of game and let him close it out.

Patrick Beverly did not have one assist yesterday although he shot the ball well, but that won't fly for the rest of the season and especially the playoffs.

19. basketballholic

You know what's funny is when posters fall in love with Terrence Jones and think he has to be the starter on last year's team and that we didn't need an upgrade at the 4 spot but then the same posters don't think Pat Beverley needs to be the starter on this year's team and we need an upgrade at the 1. Some of you were absolutely slobbering over Terrence last year after every game when he put up big stats.

I'm not saying Pat Beverley shouldn't be replaced with a better player. I think he should. But I also KNOW that Beverley is much, much more important to this team and its success than Terrence Jones ever was or will be.

20. RedRising14

RedRising14 Member

I saw someone had mentioned Kendall Marshall before, is he a legit option? Turns it over too much but he's a very skilled passer. Don't know much about his defense.