1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] What really popular band do you dislike?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikus, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pearl Jam is one of the few bands whose more current material is actually better than their material during their heyday (90's). As their record sales have gone down, their music has gotten better IMO. How many bands can you say that about?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The band I probably hate the most from the past few years is Mumford and Sons. Those sappy banjo playing ****s are absolute garbage.

3. AkeemTheDreem86

One positive thing I can say about them is that they've introduced a lot people to bluegrass that might not have otherwise given the genre a chance.

4. AkeemTheDreem86

I'll add The Cure and Depeche Mode to my **** list.

I'm way more of a Talking Heads, REM guy.

5. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

If we are going with bands from yesterday, Creed.

Today, The Killers.

6. SuraGotMadHops

Don't like the Beatles or Dave Matthews.

1 person likes this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

The Beach Boys are the same way, Brian Wilson's best work came Pet Sounds and later, after he was tired of the old cars and surfing thing. Deep, dark cuts, very good and interesting stuff.

8. lean

lean Member

U2 is awful

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

QFT

Also...never a fan of Prince nor could I ever understand the appeal.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hah that is the only song i have ever liked of theirs. but i love that song

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

I don't think they exist anymore but I really hated Good Charlotte. Tattoos and piercings everywhere while wearing black clothing looking like a goth band and then playing pop music.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Ok, I mean, everyone has the right to say they don't like a group just b/c they don't like them- they don't like their sound, their singer, their songwriting (e.g. sounds the same, juvenile lyrics etc.). You can't tell someone "How dare you?" if they say they don't like the Beatles sound. However, there are a few comments in this thread that either aren't true (b/c they are fact-based statements) or they're extremely questionable opinions.

What I mean are 2:

"All Bruce Springsteen writes are pretentious love songs.'

Well, that's literally an untrue statement- for which one can provide at least 100 examples. And the other:

"The Rolling Stones' music is soulless." I mean, OK, but that's the primary foundation of the Stones music- soul. Their biggest hit of the 60's "Satisfaction" was Keith Richards' attempt to get a guitar to sound as much like a horn in an Otis Redding song as much as possible.

From my perspective, as you get older, I think you tend to be more accepting of different types and styles of music. In my younger days, you couldn't pay me to listen to Miles Davis, or Albert King, or any type of "world" music whatsoever. If it wasnt' Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Pink Floyd, or any of those classic rock groups, forget it. Now, you get to appreciate a world flavor, or a French horn, or piano-based music.

So, let the opinions roll on, but for some, know that you can always open up to music or groups you previously hated. Some day, Nickelback will be accepted by many. Maybe.

13. dandorotik

You see, there is nothing wrong with stating an opinion, but to say something like "many of their hits were written solely by Robby Krieger" is just factually untrue.

Robby Krieger: Well, Jim wrote most of the words. I wrote some of the words, including "Light My Fire." I wrote the words to "Touch Me," to "Love Me Two Times," "Love Her Madly," and Jim wrote the words to "The End," "When the Music's Over," and more of the heavy duty ones. I usually came up with the musical ideas, but we all worked them out together. Which is why it said "written by The Doors." It really wouldn't have sounded the same if we all weren't involved in working up the songs.

14. mikus

mikus Member

We can also play this contrarian variant...which bands have better later music than their earlier stuff.

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily subscribe to any of these following statements, but I'd interested if anyone felt them to be true.

New Metallica is better than old Metallica
    CODA is better than early Led Zeppelin
    New Def Leppard is better than old Def Leppard
    New Bon Jovi is better than old Bon Jovi
    New Depeche Mode is better than old Depeche Mode
    New KISS is better than old KISS
    New Aerosmith is better than old Aerosmith
    New U2 better than old U2

Was just trying to think of bands that had been around a long time.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I'll take Nickelback, for a $1000

16. theimpossibles1

So what's the positive thing?

17. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

Have always hated Nickelback and Maroon 5 with a passion. Never thought so many others on here would agree with that...good to know!

18. dandorotik

Ok, I've got one. Well, an artist. Bryan Adams. First, because he's in the top 3 of the worst cliche songwriters in rock (Sammy Hagar and Jon Bon Jovi round out the top 3). Then, his music is merely OK, but frequently annoying- even his rock stuff seems watered-down (except for pre-Cuts Like a Knife_.

But here's what really pisses me off about him- he's an ass to his audience/fans. First, I see him at the Texas Jam, along with Rush, Ozzy, 38 Special, and Gary Moore. Basically, he berates the fans for not clapping - not just a friendly, "Come on!" but he was actually like "**** this." "Umm, Mr. Adams, no one is here to see you- we're here to see Ozzy and Rush- and 38 Special is OK." Then, in spite of my misgivings, I went to see him again about a few years ago at The Woodlands- my son wanted to see Foreigner, and they opened up for him (which is ludicrous- Foreigner is 100x better than him), and he brought this girl on stage to sing, and she forgot the words- and he was rude to her. I turned to my son and said, "There he goes acting like an ass like he did last time."

Maybe I just caught him on 2 bad nights, but that was it. He's at the bottom of my list.

Honorable Mention- Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and any of the gloss-filled hair metal or hard rock of the 80s. That does NOT include Cheap Trick and anyone who says otherwise is going to get an earful!" :grin:

19. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Maybe I exaggerated a bit with "many" but he did write lyrics to some of their hits (oddly many that I really like), and I give you credit for getting a quote from the source, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Morrison's pseudo-poet lyrics are terrible and on which their reputation is built and appeals to mostly teenagers who don't know better.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

I've always hated Rage Against the Machine, but I don't really know how broadly popular they are.