1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey keeping close eyes to extension eligible deals that may go bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 23, 2014.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm talking about this. What are you basing this off of besides of what you're watching?

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

So you talked to flip saunders and HE told you this was his intent from the beginning? #Interesting..

OR... OR... You are Flip Saunders!!!! :eek::eek:

it makes so much sense now...! You have been trying to raise Rubios trade value and you know Morey reads this site... #Amazing

:rolleyes:

3. basketballholic

Just made it up. :rolleyes:

4. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

... that makes no sense. Both Rondo and Goran would be traded with their bird rights, which is vastly more valuable and flexible for a competing team than a bull**** contract.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd like for someone to answer this question:

Why would Saunders sign Rubio to an extension because he knows another GM would be happy to pay X amount of money? That's not even a calculated risk--that's playing roulette and betting on 00.

1. Not only does Rubio has a niche market already (a point guard that can't score and is coming off of an injury with a history of other maladies), but now he's made the market smaller by targeting specific GM(s).

2. What if that GM trades for another point guard instead? Saunders not only extended a player he might not have wanted to keep in the first place but now have to, most likely, trade him for peanuts because of said niche market.

Could Saunders be this incompetent? Sure but from the deals he's made since this summer (getting fairly good value for Love, moving Brewer, etc.) Flip isn't stupid enough to offer his oft-injured, no-offense point guard an extension just for the sole fact that another GM would pay the same amount for Rubio.

"Hey Daryl....if I extend Rubio at $14 million a year...is that something YOU would do or be okay with? Like would YOU be willing to pay Rubio $14 million a year?"

"uhhh..................sure but--"

"Got it! Thanks D.Mo!"

*click*

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

I was genuinely curious to see the stats so I could understand your posts but I guess not.

7. forty4487

this guy is full of it. I wouldn't hold my breath on any of that information... because it doesn't exist.

8. basketballholic

They can walk. Make sense now????

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wouldn't say Morey has no more interest in Rubio, and I'm certain Flip has no deep-seated love for keeping Rubio at the salary given him, but I don't know if I can give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Going by the CBA poison pill provision, we'd have to take on 12 million worth of salary and Minnesota would receive $4,700,000 (Rubio's 2014-5 salary). Minnesota does have several large TEs, we do have draft picks and expirings, and Hinkie's always ready to take on an expiring so long as he also gets a draft pick.

So, it could be done. But you see the difficulty.

#310 ROXTXIA, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  11. basketballholic

Here's a hint, hotshot.

http://highbasketballiq.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-nba-advanced-statistics.html

Here's another hint, Mr. not full of .....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tough night 4D&amp;O.AB w/Off burst.Carl struggling with 2teams.Trevor/Luis/Kyle contributed in many ways-ran floor,deflections,cuts,good passes</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/8314110867">January 28, 2010</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh, here's another hint, Mr. full-o-smart

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5166019&postcount=4

Doh, wait a minute, here's another one, Mr. Super Genius:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4835743&postcount=3

And just one more for good measure, Mr. God himself:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4011524

If you don't think the Rockets track defensive touches, then maybe that stuff you think I'm full of is what you're full of.........

NBA teams (and college teams, Pitino, Crean, etc., and other stat factories) track this stuff.

Away from me child.

12. forty4487

no i completely understand they track these stats... i'm saying you having any access to it or know what it means is complete bull****. you're making a claim that a players numbers are off the charts, yet have no access to actually prove any of this is true. marky asks you to provide any tangible evidence... and you give bull**** anecdotal drivel.

#312 forty4487, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. forty4487

... you're not good at this

14. basketballholic

No, I'm not. Can't relate to you. Sorry. You're on basketball Jupiter and I'm on basketball earth.

15. forty4487

you don't need to relate... you just need to not be completely full of ****.

1 person likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So the Rockets are 27-11 still finding themselves and we are going to blow up the chemistry for Ricky freaking Rubio? I dont get it? How much would you have to give up to match that contract?

Seems like it goes against the value minded buisness that Morey employs. I wouldnt want to blow up a team that is winning 70% of their games for an unsure commodity especially to a stituation where it isnt critically needed.

You can find 'pick and roll' PGS for much, much cheaper IMO.

17. basketballholic

People worried about blowing up chemistry on a 27-11 team don't know much about basketball. The main asset going out for Rubio would be the Pels pick....not any top of the rotation player that would disturb chemistry. And they're for sure NOT going to let ANY ACQUISITION blow up chemistry. Worst case scenario is they would bench Rubio or Josh Smith or whomever is even disturbing team chemistry as we push toward the playoffs. So it's nuts to even consider that happening.

Rubio would only enhance team chemistry.

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

19. treeman

treeman Member

This is dumb. Rubio is not coming here.

20. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I really dont understand the facination with Rubio, he is a poor mans Rondo and I didnt think Rondo was a good fit, not sure why Rubio would be.