1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tad Brown on TNT, Shaq and Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BTW - when someone gets a link to this interview, please post it.

2. desertfire

desertfire Member

But it was very strange to make that your highlight package from the first half, when Howard's struggles had so little bearing on the game itself. Harden was playing awesome basketball and they couldn't even bring themselves to talk about it. The only time I heard them talk about Harden positively, it was quickly redirected by Barkley who said his MVP was Curry, because his "team was winning." The entire show is culpable for allowing this nonsense to continue.

3. desertfire

desertfire Member

The ONLY thing I enjoy about the show is Shaqtin a Fool. I feel dumber every time I watch it. Usually, I'm behind on my DVR and I just FF through half time.

4. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I love the TNT crew because they just say what we are all thinking. Like them saying they didn't know who the guy was guarding dwight and dwight should have been able to dominate a nobody. Barkley and the crew were straight up roasting on TNT for showing Knicks and lakers game. Barkley was like " I'm not showing up to anymore if we show the Knicks because they are terrible"

I like the crew because they don't really care about being a robot like every other espn sport show host and try not to offended everybody. They might say dumb **** sometimes but they just say what's everyone is thinking

1 person likes this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

I find it interesting the Tad Brown didn't just blow this question off. The fact they are talking about it in the media and have already made multiple attempts to address this with Barkley privately says volumes about how the Rockets organization feels about this. They are obviously as bothered by it as Rockets fans are. I'm sure Les is silently fuming over this as well.

It also speaks to the power TNT has over the NBA as an organization. The NBA gets so much exposure (i.e. revenue) from the TNT/NBA partnership that they allow this sort of vendetta to fester unaddressed. I imagine Adam Silver is sympathetic to the Rockets but feels they can't do anything for fear of killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Sadly, I don't think this is gonna change until Barkley quits the show.

6. jae713

jae713 Member

I remember that show. I think Kenny wore a Rockets jersey in the broadcast. I agree, Webber is an excellent analyst. I could watch him all day.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

After Barkley kissed that old @$$ ref a few years back I'm starting to think that some of the worst officiating against the Rox over the years might have Barkley's influence somehow. It's just too strong a sense for that type of situation for me to let go.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yes, but 95% percent of the league hasn't won anything either so I wouldn't say Barkley is the Oracle of Delphi for his gloomy prediction of the Rockets.

I agree, the only way to shut these guys up is too win it all.

9. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Wasn't it the time they asked him to take less money to bring on Pippen?

10. yo

yo Contributing Member

Until Dwight starts cutting out his repeated ticky-tack mistakes, Shaq is right.
    Until the Rockets at least make the conference finals, Barkley is right.

Spot on.

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Exactly on point. Shaq thinks there still playing in the same era.
    He says the same crap everytime.

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I also think Barkley has whiskey in his cup and is a little drunk 95% of the time he talks. I honestly think that he seems like he's probably a alcoholic

13. LAFIRMA22

LAFIRMA22 Member

I will tell off Shaq like this guy did.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PHNx95btX5Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Someone hit a nerve? Strike a little too close to the bone?? I don't think a minor forum scuffle requires you to bust out your resume - just an opinion.

15. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Can you elaborate a bit?

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I thought Shaq's childish dislike for Dwight went back to the whole Superman thing.

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

Thats exactly right. In the 15 years that Barkley has been an analyst for TNT, there have only be 7 unique teams that have won the championship.

And the fact that Barkley has never held up the O'Brien doesn't make him more credible when it comes to knowing who contenders are.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq has a beef with DH. I don't think that made what he said last night wrong exactly.

The fact of the matter is that last year in the playoffs one Rocket really elevated his game and that was Dwight Howard. He stepped it up the way the greats do in the Playoffs. The other Rockets didn't manage to do that. Even then Shaq was dismissive of Howard. Shaq will never give DH total praise no matter what. Sometimes Shaq will be correct in what he says sometimes he won't. That doesn't matter.

Barkley was a jerk when he was in Phoenix who can't face when he's wrong. As much as he likes to talk he won't talk about that. In the 90's when Barkley was bragging how the Suns were going to take out the Rockets he had a lot to say about the playoff series. Of course the Suns were up in the series. As soon as the Suns lost the series, Barkley wouldn't talk about that, and changed to subject saying that he was probably going to retire. That doesn't speak well for the guy and his commentary.

On the other hand, he did some good things trying to help improve the Rockets when he was here. He also doesn't take himself, his job, or the broadcast that seriously which is also a good thing. But nobody should have ever expected Barkley to be able to seriously discuss most parts of the game.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What rule change are you talking about since Shaq played that would destroy him?

20. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

lol yep. Even said it makes the Cavs "relevant"

I guess it makes them more relevant than LeBron could