1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tad Brown on TNT, Shaq and Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 9, 2015.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed but every now and then Barkley will say something that is insightful. Not often, but often enough to make him worth being on the show (besides the way he fits with Kenny and Ernie).

Shaq is just nonsense, buffoonery and he rarely adds anything. If TNT could do the equivalent of Kenny throwing him into a Christmas tree every week, it would all good. Unfortunately, we have to listen to Shaq more than watch him.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One last thing, what Shaq said about Dwight last night was true (for a change).

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

It's a fun show ..
    But to think they hate the rockets is unreal ( nearly every teams' fans claim the same thing). remember Shaq was Dwight #1 fan in the playoff v. Lopez . Kenny Is not shy to show his loyallity when it's count. Barkley made a fortune by talking the non sense.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly - it's not 1985. Intelligent people don't get sports analysis from dough-ball ex jocks sitting inside of a TV studio.

They're entertainers. Not analysts. Who cares what their analysis says? The gone fishing pictures are what they're there for, not insight as to who's going fishing and/or why.

5. conquistador#11

so shaq who do you think will win the superbowl?
    i'll tell you who isn't winning anything. dwight howard.

so shaq have you caught any of the lord of the ring movies?
    dwight howard wouldn't have survived in middle earth. aint no rings on dwight howard.
    I was superman first!

1 person likes this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

They give some good insight on what it's like to be an NBA player in terms of the mindset, the locker room dynamic, how they approach certain situations, etc.

But as far as the current game is played, they seem to be behind and haven't evolved in their thinking. They also don't seem to follow the game very seriously because they tend to not know players they should know and tend to give analysis that is often wrong but based on a mainstream opinion. For example... last night, Reggie Miller was talking about how good the Rockets offense is. I know he is not on Inside the NBA, but Charles and Shaq make out-dated comments like that because they don't follow the NBA as closely as they should.

Kenny seems to have the best handle on the NBA as far as that show goes.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with Shaq's criticism of Dwight. He's 100% accurate.

8. bongman

bongman Member

It probably depends on which one you are referring to. He mentioned that you can't win without a dominant big man but went on to pick Golden State to come out of the west. I agree that he should have been able to dominate his man but his bias certainly comes out when it comes to the " real superman". :)

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Josh and D12 are a prefect example of AAU players that didn't develop beyond AAU. Josh still jumps up in the air to pass the basketball, his wanting to be a play maker is laughable at best. I hope he saves his money, because we hill never see a large contract again. McFail had to bench him last night because of his lackadasical play.

Loving some Dmo, if he could only stop committing those fouls trying to hedge the screens on PnR defense.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Shaq constantly saying Dwight needs to lower his shoulder or but his elbow in the defenders chest and get him out of the way proves that he doesn't know what he's talking about. The game is officiated differently than when Shaq dominated, you can't do what he wants dwight to do. As an "expert" he should know this!

1 person likes this.
  11. Tadow

Tadow Member

I was pissed at first last night when I was listening to Barkley's trash, but after thinking about some I'm glad Barkley's counting us out. He's not right very often.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

They are entitled to their opinions. I agree with their comments about Dwight. Charles doesn't think the Rockets are true contenders. Hey, it's his opinion. Whatever.

If the Rockets want to shut these guys up, all they have to do is win a championship.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

You becomes more stupid in your each post. Your only contribution could be in the Lin and Tmac threads, which is just wasting your time, but likely you have lots of free time. If I can not read, how can I keep my job in a high education college in USA, you are just a something else, I do not think I need reply to you anymore.

14. Dr. R

Dr. R Member

I thought it was funny that Barkley said he didn't like the Josh Smith move because he will never get it, but then seemed to really like the JR Smith trade.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This.

Period point blank - if either Barkley or Shaq ever had any interest in the defensive side of the game they might appreciate Dwight more. They didn't play defense though and that is the side of the ball Dwight truly dominates.

I wanted to punch Shaq's big fat head last night when he was talking about how Dwight shouldn't defer to Harden. Harden is the best offensive player in the league at the moment. No, Hakeem wouldn't have deferred to him. But Hakeem was Hakeem. Dwight is not Hakeem. Dwight has a whole lot more in common with a guy like Ben Wallace than he does Hakeem, Kareem, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, etc.

I really do believe Dwight is influenced by this kind of talk and desperately wants to earn the respect of these kinds of old timers. And it does hurt his game. If he just played like the rich man's Ben Wallace that he is, he'd be dominant and our team would be a lot better off.

P.S. The rules have changed since those guys dominated the paint. They are no longer centered around big men. And I have a sneaking suspicion that with the way the rules are now Charles Barkley wouldn't be very successful in the NBA. The 3 second rule alone would destroy both Barkley and Shaq.

16. hakeemthagreat

Barkley is at time funny. But he CLEARLY has hate against the Rockets. This is the same guy who said Yao would never score over 20pts and ended up looking stupid. The Rockets blew the Knicks out and they're still hating on Rocket players? Barkley is no more than a TROLL. He knows it, we know it, and the more attention we give him the more he says dumb chit

17. desertfire

desertfire Member

I don't agree with this at all and when we say things like this it makes sound like we have victimitis (pretty much like every other fan base). I read a lot of good analysis and reporting on the Rockets from most national media outlets.

The TNT thing, especially with Barkley, is real however. I thought it was asinine to show highlights of Howard's first half struggles when the Rockets were destroying the Knicks and Harden was having a great game. They cannot even bring themselves to say anything positive about the Rockets, though to Kenny's credit, he at least seems a bit conflicted. Then without prompting, Barkley just chimes in to say that he can't take the Rockets as serious contenders. Even if that was his opinion, it was so obviously forced into the dialogue that it must have left even non-biased watchers shaking their head.

I'm glad someone posted the Tad Brown comments. The anti-Rocket venom from the TNT crew is embarrassingly unprofessional and unfair to Rocket fans, but it is even more shameful that it is allowed to continue by those higher up. But when it's all about ratings, I guess that's what we are stuck with.

18. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Didn't have any issues with Shaq's comments, he's right for the most part. That post up along the baseline is dreadful to watch when he's bound to step out of bounds multiple times a game.

Barkley's on the other hand was borderline idiotic. He clearly had his agenda with the 7-0 comments, because that has nothing to do with JSmith and the Rockets.

"Addition by Subtraction" my ass.

19. desertfire

desertfire Member

Okay, but the Tad Brown comments on the radio are worthy of posting here I believe. Public acknowledgement of this issue from the organization is relevant and interesting. When it begins to happen at that level, it is more than just feeding the troll.

20. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Much of the comments in this thread are true, or at least arguable. I agree that Shaq is pretty bad on this show and rarely says anything of substance, relying on Skip Bayless-esque unqualifiable crap like "they wanted it more" or "that guy's not clutch".

That being said, his comments last night on Dwight are tough to simply brush off - and he did back them up with video evidence. I think he's right to a degree in that Dwight should score more against inferior competition. However, I also think Dwight is still not right physically - and offense is actually not his forte. Dwight is still a force on the defensive end, which Shaq always ignores.

In any case, I'd rather have Dwight dominate on defense, which will be very important in the playoffs, as the game slows down.

As far as Charles goes, his rockets bad-mouthing does get frustrating, and his arguments increasingly spurious, but I wonder if something has happened relatively recently to ignite it or fan it. It seems to have jumped up a level, and I don't remember him being so vitriolic. In fact, a few years ago, in the series against the Lakers when Yao went down with the injury that ultimately ended his career, at one point Kenny said that he and Chuck were cheering for the rockets (because they didn't like the arrogance shown by the lakers, if I remember correctly). So Charles hasn't always been so pigheaded in his criticism.

However, as I've said before, I can't dislike this crew entirely - even Shaq - because anytime Hakeem comes up in conversation all three of them basically try to one-up each other in their praise of him. They unabashedly love the Dream, and that redeems them in my eyes.

Webber would be awesome in place of Shaq, though. He is a fantastic commentator and his analysis is excellent - and he picked the rockets in 94-95 to win it all.

1 person likes this.