1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Proposal: Dmo for Reggie Jackson? Why not?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jan 7, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2. omgTHEpotential

Reggie Jackson isn't even a plus defender. DMo on the other hand is defending at the same level as Duncan/Noah/Davis/Gasol this year. Plus DMo has a great post-game, passing and some potential to improve his range. You don't trade such 7-footer for a Reggie Jackson. You just don't. Unless your name is David Kahn.

3. what

what Member

got it

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

Right now, if we trade D-Mo for a PG (Reggie Jackson or Dragic or anyone else) we would have Howard (6'11) and then the rest of our bigs would all be around 6'9 (Jones, Smith and Dorsey).

I just don't think that is enough size in the frontcourt to compete against teams like Memphis, San Antonio, Portland, LAC,

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

phoenix would, after all reggie is a point guard

6. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

maurey would be all over this trade
    maurey loves trading for them 3pt shooters
    josh smith = 22.6%
    corey brewer = 32.9%
    reggie jackson = 27.3%

7. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Some of the stuff you guys say here lol

This post makes him sound like a surefire HOF candidate.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

clearly both

9. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

lmao :eek:

There's homers. And then there's clutchfans.

10. omgTHEpotential

It doesn't. All that says is that he has potential to become a very good starter. DMo still is incosistent offensively, despite his defensive performance this year. So, what exactly are you disagreeing with in my post?

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Hmm. I really like the improvements D-Mo has made this season, on both ends of the floor.

But to compare his defense to the likes of Duncan, Noah, Davis and Gasol is a huge stretch. At his age, Duncan is the worst defender out of that group, and he is still probably better than D-Mo. And then D-Mo is nowhere even close to those others.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Yes, lets trade D-Mo a 7 footer with a another year on his contract for cheap who has shown great potential when our top big has been saddled with injuries over the last several years. It's 50/50 whether we choose to or even can bring back Smith next season. We trade D-Mo now and potential go into next season relying on Dwight and Terrances health as our only bigs.

Pass, emphatically pass on this trade.

13. Pete the Cheat

that's like saying I love a good diarrhea...

14. omgTHEpotential

No.

I believe DMo is currently #6 among rim protectors in the entire league (who have defended at least 5 or more shots there per game).

Then there's also the OPP FG% differentials. Let's take a look at those, anything with a plus sign in front of it is BAD, and anything with a minus sign is considered very good:

Andre Drummond: +1.2%
    Jonas Valanciunas: +1.9%
    Dirk Nowitzki: +2.8%
    Carmelo Anthony: +2.9%
    Luke Babbitt: +5.4%
    Kyrie Irving: +2.7%
    Mike Miller: +3.8%
    Kevin Love: +2.8%
    Timofey Mozgov: +1.3%
    LeBron James: -0.6%
    Tim Duncan: -5.3%
    Joakim Noah: -4.6%
    Donatas Motiejunas: -5.3%
    Draymond Green: -5.4%
    Anthony Davis: -4.6%
    Marc Gasol: -3.6%
    Andre Iguodala: -3.4%
    Kawhi Leonard: -2.7%

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

in a practical sense, it's basically impossible to create a trade with okc that's beneficial, because both teams are in very similar states, so their goals are much the same, incremental improvement to increase championship chances.

Likelihood a trade partner that works for us is in a different situation, ie trying to lose, or no chance to win, the trade suggested would benefit okc in that we're essentially trading a starting pf/c for a backup pg.

The entire goal of trades is to fit your leverage vs theirs, which is why we got Harden for so little, as OKC was trying to trade its last vestige of leverage, access to the 5 years, because they'd decided they weren't going to pay him what he wanted.

#75 Aleron, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Don't get me wrong, I have loved seeing D-Mo's vastly improved play this year. He was a good defender last year and is doing even better this year. And his offensive game looks a hundred times better than it did in the past.

Tracking defensive player ratings is extremely tough, even with the advanced metrics. Having a good defense is even more of a team effort than a good offense is. For example, I think D-Mo gets an advantage because he plays next to very good post defender and rim protector in Dwight Howard. I think he gets an advantage because we have some good perimeter defenders in Beverley and Ariza. That gives the Rockets the ability to choose who they will match up against on defense. When the team defense breaks down, and players are able to drive in the lane, causing other defenders to switch and get out of position- that can negatively effect any individual player's numbers if a driving guard gets a layup against an out of position D-Mo. Having an overall good team defense will help prevent that from happening and can help an individual player's numbers.

Don't get me wrong. I do think that D-Mo is a good defender. I definitely do not want to trade him for Reggie Jackson. If you look at the other teams listed, Gasol on Memphis, Noah on Chicago and Duncan on SAS all have good team defenses as well so they will have similar advantages compared to guys like, say, Dirk, Carmelo and Kyrie (bad defenders on bad defensive teams).

D-Mo isn't a great rebounder or shot blocker. He still makes too many stupid fouls (although these areas have improved as well). If I had a choice, just for the defensive end, I would easily take Gasol, Noah or Davis over D-Mo, and I would probably still take Duncan over D-Mo.

17. basketballholic

If Timofey Mozgov is worth 2 first rounders then what is DMo worth?

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Cleveland was desperate for a big.

Sometimes it depends how desperate the other team is.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

OP might need a temporary ban for this.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

DMO is the goat...no.