1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Call it a a knee jerk reaction or whatever...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ansfjs73, Dec 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That poster has historically bad opinions that are not only devoid of facts but make everyone but him scratch their head thinking "what was he thinking?" Best to not quote him.

D-Mo is one of the best defenders on the team and anyone with half a brain knows that.

2. Progs

Progs Member

Dmo is probably the second or third best defensive player on the team this season. Beverley and Ariza almost never throw it too him down there. Could it be Dwight's ego not letting DMo get them post touches he deserves much more?

3. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

are you serious .. Have you seen DMO's defense lately ??

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

my entire post is dripping with sarcasm man

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

The problem isn't D-Mo being moved to the bench. In fact, you'd think that would help him if he's not on the court with Dwight (most of his domination this year was when Dwight was injured). The problem is McHale is not calling plays to post him up. It's that simple. This is 100% on McHale's lack of playcalling and desire to freestyle.

6. Naismith

Naismith Member

There is a natural process that only time and a certain {freestyle} ?????

wait for it

give it a chance

Love

7. conquistador#11

they're setting him up to fail when you don't use that height, that touch from the post. reminds me of stevie and cuttino admiring each other who can massage the ball better and ignoring the post game.

8. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

it was bothering me since the game Dwight came back...here are some of my thoughts on the topic...he is elite posting up and theres no way morey or mchale dont know that...its simply politics

1. Rockets are either hiding him (from trade suitors in upcoming trade) or

2. Rockets are preventing his development and media exposure in order to extend him for much less than he is worth...if he establish himself as elite post player hes due for max dollars

3. Either that or they are afraid of Dwight leaving after next year if DMO is allowed to shine and to become the main post player of the rockets...

4 . DMO didnt learned to be assertive yet and become one of the alphas of the group...or perhaps he is cunning about it and is advancing in a slow, clever and unobtrusive manner perhaps waiting for another injuries ridden period

9. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

Josh has nothing to do with it...DMO wasnt getting his touches in the post since 1 game after howard come back when smith was not in the town yet...

10. elainas

elainas Member

I think DMo at starters over Smith only because he play a lot here(Smith 4 days some say), listen When half of team were down --> who win our games? Beard and team ball with DMo infront. Just wait for Smith understand what McHale wants we need at least few years- or do we need it now ir such WC. And yesterday once again good thing happaning with DMo on the count 3 assist, 2 steels, hustle.. Just saying dont fix so much whats is not broke.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I cant believe (although I'm really not that surprised) that D-Mo only got 3 touches. I didn't get to watch the game, but how many of those 3 attempts were actually set up plays for him and how many were missed put backs or last second, broken play shots?

And then we have post-game interviews talking about stagnant offense.
    Elite, not elite, I don't care what you call it, but we all know now that D-Mo is a seriously high efficiency option. His poise, low post handles, and ambidextrous soft touch has been money.

We also know Pap is the best low post passer on the team. The box score says DNP ankle sprain for Shved, but Pap is DNP Coach Decision. So what gives? Does his knee still suck?

I mean seriously. We really can't play Pap at the 4 and get Dorsey off the floor? +23 my a**, why Joey Dorsey. That +/- has so much to do with the 5 on the floor, and from the little game I saw, that +/- had little to do with Dorsey. I saw crappy TOs. I saw him camped for 3 seconds. I saw jumping-challenged defense.

Oh and by the way. Trevor Ariza is shooting the worst he ever has in his entire career. 36% FG%, 32% 3PT%

You can't say Pap has sucked at the 4. Inconsistent? Sure. But suck? No. I remember a few times where he was effective. It seriously can't be worse than 20 minutes of Dorsey and 3 attempts for D-Mo.

We played Parsons at the 4. We had Delfino at the 4...even matched against elite bigs like BLAKE GRIFFIN! Casspi at the 4. So now you go away from small ball, McHale? For Dorsey? For no low post passer to your most efficient scoring option when we are losing a game due to stagnant offense? UGH!

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Let me save you the trouble since you did not watch the game. Joey Dorsey played better in this game than Dwight Howard. That's all that really needs to be said. Dorsey does what he's supposed to do very well. Play good defense, rebound like a monster, get the occasional gorilla dunk, and block shots.

He got an offensive rebound with 3 defenders draped on him two different times this game. Joey Dorsey is not someone you want playing extended minutes on your team, but for 8-15 minutes a night he does what he is supposed to.

Next point about papa. I said this at least 10 times when it was announced Josh Smith was signing here in that thread. Signing Smith would guarantee Papa gets glued to the bench. That's exactly what's happening. There's just not enough minutes to go around. And no. You can't just give Dorsey's minutes to Papa. This isn't NBA2k. It doesn't work like that.

The Rockets gambled and Kostas became the opportunity cost for Smith. I don't agree with that decision at all as Papa is one of the only guys on this team who moves the ball well and keeps the offense in motion.

But you know. Josh Smith is a big name signing. So of course it had to be done. Morey done goofed. I suspect this signing has a lot to do with Dwight being bffs with Smith. But eh. Supposedly Morey had been targeting Smith for a long time. Whatever.

1 person likes this.
  13. archinkent

archinkent Member

It's not elite level, but still lethal enough to be used more often.

It is just baffling that it worked so well a few games ago when he scored 25, but since then he was never used again.

1 person likes this.
  14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

This!
    And This!

I'm a firm believer in running several different units, depending on match-ups, but mainly 2 units (starting and bench). On the 2nd unit, especially if Harden is out, the offense should go through Dmo. Whether it's a PnR or a post up.

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

Michael must massage money in private areas because i have no other explanation why he has an extension.

We need a real coach at the end of the day, we are this good based off talent alone.

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Let me save you the trouble since you did not watch the game. Joey Dorsey played better in this game than Dwight Howard. That's all that really needs to be said. Dorsey does what he's supposed to do very well. Play good defense, rebound like a monster, get the occasional gorilla dunk, and block shots.

Let me rephrase by saying I watched about 2 1/2 quarters before I got pulled away. I saw his big dunk assisted by D-Mo. But it's not enough to cannibalize our ball movement and post-feeding from Pap. And really Dorsey's rebounding is not that great. Pap averages more rebounds than Dorsey.

He got an offensive rebound with 3 defenders draped on him two different times this game. Joey Dorsey is not someone you want playing extended minutes on your team, but for 8-15 minutes a night he does what he is supposed to.

I did see one of Dorsey's offensive boards where he kicked it back out to a corner 3, which I think didn't amount to anything. What good do OR's do when your offensive unit is broken?

Next point about papa. I said this at least 10 times when it was announced Josh Smith was signing here in that thread. Signing Smith would guarantee Papa gets glued to the bench. That's exactly what's happening. There's just not enough minutes to go around. And no. You can't just give Dorsey's minutes to Papa. This isn't NBA2k. It doesn't work like that.

Um, yes you can. You absolutely can give Dorsey's minutes to Papa. I never meant Papa play back up C. That's ridiculous. I mean simply go small by sliding D-Mo up to the back-up C and have Papa play small stretch 4. That's not 2K. That's the modern NBA. I laid out plenty of examples of McHale doing it in recent seasons. It made me pull my hair out at times, but I also had to give credit to McHale when it worked. Dorsey had no blocks last night. With D-Mo at the 5 instead of Dorsey, your rim protection actually goes up. D-Mo was something like 8th in the league in rim protection recently before the rotation switch up. Dorsey I would argue has a 1:1 of blocks to goaltending/TOs/3 seconds/over-the-backs. We have already examined to death the benefits of a small stretch 4. We're in a league now that sees Melos and LeBrons and Rudy Gays and Paul Pierces playing the 4.

By your logic, Smith the new PF who was a horrible experiment at the 3 can take our back-up 3's minutes, but a back-up 3 can't take a back-up C's minutes even though our back-up 4 can play back-up C.
    I don't deny that is totally what happened. Since Smith, no Pap. But I don't agree with it. My only hope is that this is all because Pap's knee is still affecting his speed and scrappiness, so he's temporarily ineffective. I hope!

2 people like this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Don't know if Pap is 100% healthy, but if he is I see no reason why we can't play him more in this scenario. I've been wondering why we've been denying the players who helped get us a good record to play, especially when a lot of our rotations simply have not worked the past 3 games. If it's not broke then don't try to fix it.

18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Honestly, I wish we'd run some orlando magic Dwight Howard hay day pick and rolls where Dwight or Smith sets the pick, then Harden drives to the basket and lofts the ball up for Howard or Smith to flush down HAAAAAAAARRRRRRRDDDDD

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People hating on Dorsey still are just being stubborn. The dude plays his role very well. He is not the problem at all. He was a huge part of what brought us back last night.

Dwight being Dwert was the biggest issue last night followed by just flat out dumb turnovers and bad shots.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DMO is not elite in any category. His legend grows by the day. He's picked his game up in a big way but the man love for him has gotten so ridiculous in here.