1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will/Should Josh Smith start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Will/Should Josh Smith start

1. Yes

71.9%
  2. No

28.1%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Invalid poll is invalid. ;)

Asking two questions!

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Good catch. I normally never vote in these instances anyways.

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Good thing is that with D-Mo coming off the bench he can post up and have the ball right away instead of players giving Howard the ball and D-Mo just waiting for a rebound.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Ive watched every game i understand our offense perfectly.

Dmo and Jones shooting 3's is no different, maybe the one whos doesnt understand the offense is you.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

^ This is pretty much how I feel. I said in the other thread that I really don't like the idea of guaranteeing a starting spot. There should be no guarantee unless you are a bona fide superstar. I think they should ease him into the lineup and see how he fits.

But if that's the only way we can sign him, then so be it. If it doesn't work out, we can always tell him later, "Sorry, we didn't know you would suck starting," and bench him, right? :grin:

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good one!

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Does this guarantee that either TJ or Dmo will be traded before the deadline? Can't trade TJ because he's injured atm so...

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Percentile wise, yes they are. Smith, Jones, and D-Mo are all about the same at shooting long balls ie they all suck really bad. At least Smith has cut back on his attempts this year so he is back in D-Mo/T-Jones realms on 3pt attempts.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

DMo had been shooting the three ball pretty well as of late, but the chemistry with Dwight hasn't been outstanding like I'd hoped. We've gotten off to some pretty slow starts. DMo appears to have taken a small step back since Dwight's return.

I don't think the Dwight/Smith combo will work either and will be just as awkward as the Asik/Howard pairing, but it's not exactly like we're breaking up a surefire combo.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Will Smith start? Yes.

Should Smith start? Debatable.

I would like to see him getting in more time learning the roster and system before putting him in the starting line up against legitimate play off caliber teams. IE, I don't want to trade off wins just to start him initially.

Have him starting later in the season once he's put in some reps in practice and some time on the floor against bottom feeders.

11. baubo

baubo Member

Fans and players put way too much emphasis on the "starter" designation. There are your superstars that have to start because you want to maximize their minutes. But otherwise who cares?

Now, if Josh Smith asks to that he has to FINISH every single game? Then I'd start to worry. During the highest leveraged minutes, no one should be guaranteed minutes besides Harden.

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

Yes, no doubt.

Dmo is playing well at the moment, but it will make more sense for him to back up Dwight.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

dmo is misused with dwight

breaks my heart seeing him roam around the three point line while dwert does stupid stuff in the low post

better off letting him come off the bench and be the focus of offense

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So...he'll play on Friday against Memphis, I assume?

15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Smith and DMO basically shoot the same % on 3s.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If Smith plays well and Jones is healthy the Rockets would probably be better off moving Jones or DMo. They need another playmaker and Jones/DMo would be your best pieces outside of the NO pick. But I would think they would try to move the pick other pieces because there are no assurances that Smith will be back next year since they won't have his bird rights.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He will and he should.

Dmos post up ability is lethal and should be featured off the bench. He gets lost alongside harden pick and rolls and Howard post ups. Smith is a much better garbage man.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Smith spaces the floor too because he can face up and slash.

If you give him a lane to the rim that is a pretty big mistake to do. He's a better T.Jones pretty much.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This. People point to his poor jumper and assume that means he can't space the floor. Smith has an excellent handle for a PF and can create off the dribble. He can get to the rim on his own as opposed to having to catch the ball near the rim (DMo). Therefore, spacing should improve.

20. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Why can't he start for Ariza? No one has mentioned that. He plays SF too