1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale signs an extension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you like the move to extend Kevin McHale's contract for three years?

1. YES

102 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. NO

141 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Bickerstaff leaves, will the defense go to pieces again ?

2. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Merry Christmas Coach McHale !

Well deserved.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

I don't think the extension changes that he's fired if we're 1 and done in the playoffs and he's clearly outcoached

4. torocan

torocan Member

Yowch. Really not a fan of this move.

McHale isn't a bad coach, but I really would have preferred to see the Rockets wait until the off season (and after the play offs) to make any decisions on a long term commitment. Just about any average coach can get a talent loaded roster to the play offs. It's winning in the play offs that tells us who has the chops to take a team anywhere near the promised land. Just look at Vinny DelNegro...

I don't think McHale will necessarily hurt the team in the long term during the regular season, but I worry that he won't be anywhere near good enough against the likes of the Carlisle's and Popovich's of the world when the team is in the crucible of the play offs and forced to make game by game adjustments.

What I do worry about is our ability to retain Bickerstaff. However much truth you attribute to the rumor, it is a not uncommon belief that the defensive turnaround lies primarily on the shoulders of Bickerstaff's efforts (just like it was on Sampson's shoulders last year).

Offensively I'm not really worried (outside of called plays). In their 3rd year Harden and Co. pretty much have a solid idea of what they want to do and how they plan to do it.

I guess we'll find out when the play offs roll around, for better or worse.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well he proved he can coach a team to be one of the best offenses in the league, and this year one of the best defenses....

but he hasn't proved he can do both at the same time.

he also hasn't proved he can win in the playoffs.

the in game adjustments have gotten better though.

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Well no ****ing **** he wont be as good as the Pop's of the world, who the **** is there that we can get that will be good against the Pop's of the world. You haters keep bringing up the likes of Pop, newsflash, THERE ISNT A POP OUT THERE THAT WE CAN GET.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Horrible move. I hate to say it but rockets will never win a championship with Mchale as HC. I hope I'm wrong but he's easily one of the worst coaches in the league.

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Im just kinda like...
    [​IMG]

Waiting for a deep playoff run to be won over by this move.

9. torocan

torocan Member

He doesn't have to be as good as Pops or Carlisle, he just has to NOT be completely outmatched.

Let's put it this way, can you name 10 head coaches that you would rather have against Pops and Carlisle (IE, won't get you completely humiliated?). I can. That's 10 coaches + Pops + Carlisle that put you in a better position to not get embarrassed in the play offs.

No, the Rockets can't get a coach on the same tier as Pops or Carlisle, but would it be too much to ask for a top 10 coach that's play off tested?

10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Ok, who out is out there that we can get in your 10? That is so much better than Mchale to outweigh whatever impact firing the coach the players like and transitioning into a new system?

11. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

McHale has done a great job this year. His substitution patterns and use of timeouts have improved and the defense has done a 180. Well deserved.

12. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Sorry Torocan, didnt mean to start cursing, i just get tired of all the Mchale hate around here (not saying you are a hater). Yes he isnt on the top teir of coaching, but i definitly think he is in the second teir (only going on this year). I think coaches can improve and think Mchale has improved and will continue to do so. I agree that we should have waited until after the playoffs, but the Rockets want to be a class orginazation and they think this is the way to go about it. I cant blame them for that.

13. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Hmm I don't know if that's a good move to extend an above average coach. :confused:

14. Raven

Raven Member

Morey trolling Clutch Fans. :p :) :grin: I'm 100 hundred percent OK with this move, btw. McHale obviously has players buying in, and that's the most important thing an NBA head coach can do.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Based on what criteria?

16. torocan

torocan Member

I agree it's a class move on the part of Les. I just don't think it's the strategically smartest move to give him an extension before we even see if he can make a dent in the play offs with the talent on this roster.

I get that you think he's in the 2nd tier, I just disagree. I've stated for some time that I consider McHale to be tragically average as a Head Coach. That's fine for the regular season, but come play off time you need someone that brings more to the table in terms of preparation and planning.

As for a few coaches I would rather have over McHale...

Tom Thibodeau
    Doc Rivers
    Mike Budenholzer
    Dwayne Casey
    Stan Van Gundy (As a coach more than as a GM)
    Terry Stotts
    Dave Joerger
    Randy Wittman
    Brad Stevens
    Steve Kerr

You could also toss in Jeff Van Gundy, George Karl, Quin Snyder and Larry Brown depending on your tastes.

And if you buy into their hype you could make arguments for Eric Spoelstra, Mark Jackson, Scott Brooks and Frank Vogel (though I would consider them a wash).

17. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I agree that i am probably overrating Mchale. None of the coaches on your list is attainable. Mchale has seemed to imrove on his preperation and ingame adjustments (again only gong on this year). Will that translate into the playoffs i dont know, but am hopeful.

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I don't get it- most of those coaches on the first list w/ the exception of the first two haven't done hardly anything more than McHale in the playoffs. Two years in the playoffs is a really small sample size, also. Doesn't matter- he's here and let all the hate come on down b/c it wont' change the decision.

LMFAOATHs.!

19. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Rockets just guarantee that they won't be real contenders for the next 3 years. Congrats, you just got Mchale'd.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Les is also the guy that inherited a championship team and hasn't done **** since. Yea real class move on his part, it was also real classy for the poo he flung at Adelman and how disrespected him. That was the day Les lost me.