1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if people would be puffing up Josh Smith if he was likely to sign elsewhere and had no interest in the Rockets. He has 0 win shares on the season because of his abysmal offense yet people are talking him up like he's some kind of star player. It's pretty hilarious actually. Is it just because he's got a big name? Is that all it takes now?

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

According to reports we SEEM to be the front runner. The $2mill isn't the exact number but the amount he'll get is around that based on BAE. That's the most money he can get from us and only Miami can offer more but not by a whole lot, roughly like 600k maybe. Anyone correct this if I'm wrong but that's the gist.

1 person likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good god, the old DD is back. Reaching like crazy.

We can play 6 degrees of separation like this with every single roster move - but no-risk Josh Smith for close to the minimum trumps all of them.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

pg dragic, beverley
    sg harden, terry
    sf ariza, brewer
    pf smith, jones
    c howard, Dmo, dorsey

the suns can have their pick from players shved, black, johnson, capella, papa.

a rockets 1st round pick, NO 1st round pick, a 2nd rounder

i think the way things have happened this year it is time to go ALL IN.

Smith is the first domino tomorrow hopefully. dragic trade to follow, and then lastly Jones to get healthy, which i think will happen and he still has a lot of time regardless.

5. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Being that teams can't make contact until tomorrow, How is that possible?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm pretty anti-Josh Smith, but even I'm for getting him when it's basically free.

While I have VERY LOW expectations for him, I am intrigued by the fact that Morey has wanted him for two years. That is strange to me so I'm hopeful that he sees something I don't.

7. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Anyone who thinks signing josh smith would be a bad move is wrong. The main reason supporting this argument is how much upside there is to signing him vs the downside. Potentially, we have a fringe level all star who plays d and passes. On the other side, he gets traded or waived. There is just too much upside with smoove to not sign him

8. Nils

Nils Member

That's a lot to give up, but I agree that it's time to go all-in. Howard and Harden will only get worse w time....with OKC and the Clippers struggling some, it's our title to lose.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Its because of his resume. One year does not a career make. Just go back and look at some of the seasons he's had, and the big games he's played in.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Josh Smith is currently not on a team so my guess would be that any team can talk to him right now. That is a complete guess though.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If DD hates a player, he must be good for us, just like any unproven/role player DD throws his support behind will inevitably suck. It's the curse of DD. This bodes well for us if we sign Smith and if we trade D-Mo for Gogi.

12. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Are you trolling at this point? I admire your passion but this is def. far from center..

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lol at the pseudo-psychology going on here. I welcome Smith at the BAE as a potential starter/sixth man. This move Dmo back to the bench at the 5, gives us front-court insurance and another shot-blocking presence, and allows Jones to be dealt to upgrade the team elsewhere.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

DD "hates" Josh Smith.

He is to biased to debate this. He thinks D-Mo is GOD! LOL.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yeah it is but that bench could probably make the playoffs in the east. im almost sure it can

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3 consecutive seasons of negative offensive win shares on 2 separate teams. There's no way that the Rockets start Josh Smith and it doesn't significantly harm the offense, that's just a given, and his defensive win shares have been steadily dropping so there's no guarantee that his defense makes up for it completely.

The only way I see doing this deal is because it'll make Howard happy and would bolster depth, but it's going to make watching the rest of the season really rough. I honestly wonder how many people who are in favor of this deal have watched him play in the last few years.

1 person likes this.
  17. BJE

BJE Contributing Member

It's such a low risk possible high reward move, the Rockets have to make this move.

18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

People are acting like this will be a long term deal. I'd be surprised if it's more than this year & next. If he's not a good fit then his contract will be up in the big 2016 offseason extravaganza.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So he's going to be the Matt Maloney of the Pistons. They are going to pay him till his grandson retires.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Feigen reported waived players can't be contacted by teams until they clear waivers although players can contact waived players and that 1 Rocket has definitely contacted Smith. He also said Morey will be in contact on Wednesday when it is legal to do so. Guess I am asking why a reporter would be throwing out the Clippers are breaking league rules in a tweet?